The internet has destroyed personal style.

Who cares? This is all little kids' fashion. When you're working 5 days a week and mingling with grown people, what place do $300 nikes and snapbacks have in your wardrobe anyway?

I work more than 5 days week sometimes, mingle with grown folks, do quite well for myself, and I'm still in Nikes.

As I said, no snapbacks fo me. But those aren't necessarily out of place in EVERY business.

Not every industry is the same. Grown men still wear sneakers.

young money killed personal style , and the non intelligent kids who dare to be different born in the mid 90's

Even down here in the south Dudes all rock a slim fitting Muscle tee , Snap backs , and some random camo shorts.

Ive just moved on lol , I just wear what i want. Lately i have found myself wearing Jerseys again for some reason....

Edit

I like to wear Ralph Lo out and about , some nice jeans , and nikes for the dress down look.
pimp.gif

The only reason i could care less bc I have seen up close and personal that majority of these clowns, hypebeast, kanye slobbers are so damn lame in real life and socially awkward. Sure..you might dress like yeezy...but be sitting with ya fellas the whole night talking about a chick being hot by afar.
laugh.gif

My personality and looks combo straight up takes a dumb on 99% of men in real life that I could care leas what i see in real life. Its just here on NT. Been here forever and have never seen it thia bad man. NT dont even feel the same. Just toss the region forums in tue trash like Ninja said.

Originally Posted by illphillip

I work more than 5 days week sometimes, mingle with grown folks, do quite well for myself, and I'm still in Nikes.

As I said, no snapbacks fo me. But those aren't necessarily out of place in EVERY business.

I wasn't talking about sneakers in general. I wear Air Maxes, Chucks, and Adidas Sambas to work on Casual Fridays. But don't tell me that wearing @#$% like this is appropriate. I wore sneakers like this in 2nd grade, except they were $20 and from Payless 
galaxy-foams-nike-all-star.jpg

christian-louboutin-2012-springsummer-roller-boat-spikes-1-620x413.jpg

yeezy-2-black-solar-red.jpg

This is what's fashionable to kids these days? I want no part of that @#$$

I don't understand why people have such a problem with posts like these. I think Monstar makes a good point, and this IS a forum about....wait for it....sneakers. Just the fact that we're all here makes this a valid discussion/rant - the whole board is about personal style. This was just his observation, and I think a lot of us agree with it; instead of trying to shoot it down, discuss it - if it's a dumb observation in your opinion, move on.

All of this is centered around culture (with dress being a big part of that) - it hurts my heart somewhat that this is the way it is, that regional/neighborhood styles are all but extinct. It speaks to a larger issue that real culture is dying off , and homogeneity is the norm. The internet has played a big role in this; instead of being able to see what other people in different parts of the country/world are doing, everyone has just used it to identify with, and imitate, the latest "uniform".

And oh yeah...."fixed":
In a nameless thread here on NT, there are a few folks who try TOO hard look different or "stylish" to dress like Kanye West.

Peace.

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

Can't relate. What you're talking about seems lame. Sounds like attention garden tooling and extreme case of insecurity and labeling/judging of others.

@*@* I care if I bring a style back to my area or if I can tell where someone is from or their sexual orientation by how they dress.

I really think your fooling yourself with the importance of personal style. If ppl want to follow they're going to follow. If they're different, they're different.
Oh my goodness I agree with this!
I would rather be comfortable with myself than being a trendsetter and/or worrying about what others are wearing.

Yeah I know what you mean. I just try to go with what I like.

For example, I love the colored Dickies shorts. You can switch up so many fits. Not sure how they are perceived now but I still dig them.

OP there is a much more serious issue going on that is the root to this though. Jock riding. Its an epidemic.

Originally Posted by Leonidas

Regional style is definitely fading, and fast. DC used to be easy to tell, but now they all rock the same snapbacks and Js/Foams. Foams are still poppin, but it feels different then it used to be.

This right here. Back in 08 when I first got to college, I could easily pick out who was from the D.C. area, who was from the south, who was from NY, and who was from Cali even if they didn't dress all that "urban" you could still tell.  Fast forward to 2012, everybody looks exactly the same 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Been said this. You can see it on here. So many people just sort of mimicing what they see.

I got a few messages from people when I said in another thread, "just because you're stylish, doesn't mean you have style" because they agreed wholeheartedly.

Being stylish by wearing what's "in style" means you're just doing what someone else is dictating, and it's not YOUR style.

The internet just exacerbates all of this. The trends move and spread quicker and people just from one thing to another quicker.

Trends are trends for a reason. They aren't timeless because they really aren't that great to begin with. That's why they have a short window. That's pretty much what a trend is.

Why would I start wearing bracelets out of the blue? Why would I wear tall T's? Why would I wear Red Wings instead of Timbs? Why would I start wearing pastels? Why would I start wearing snapbacks?

I absolutely let who I am define my style. Who I am doesn't change that often or that drastically. So why would my clothing style change so much?

End rant.
Good post...

In a nameless thread here on NT, there are a few folks who try TOO hard look different or "stylish," when it's nothing but A) laughable, or B) forced. 

Style is subjective, but it's a lot easier for people to follow trends than put their own personal stamp on the clothes that they're wearing. 
agree with both

I feel like you guys are only speakin to a certain audience though, people who wear basketball shoes and shorts and that crowd. Come to seattle and portland and these places and you see people wearin whatever they got at Value Village. Way different style

Originally Posted by SFC415

I wasn't talking about sneakers in general. I wear Air Maxes, Chucks, and Adidas Sambas to work on Casual Fridays. But don't tell me that wearing @#$% like this is appropriate. I wore sneakers like this in 2nd grade, except they were $20 and from Payless 

Oh, I definitely feel you on that.

Fit fit fit!!!!!.....seriously ya'll....focus on your clothes fitting you the right way, I could lOok better in a gap tee, a pair of chinos and some Toms then whatever clown is walkin around in some galaxy foambs, oversize A&F cargos and the hottest New graphic tee out...

galaxy-foams-nike-all-star.jpg

christian-louboutin-2012-springsummer-roller-boat-spikes-1-620x413.jpg

yeezy-2-black-solar-red.jpg

Leave the Yeezys out of this bro..

I don't know about y'all..

But if I could get my hands on a pair of them galaxy Foambs, I'd cop...

Not the yeezys though.

Sup with that spiked shoe?

Originally Posted by Mr K

Leave the Yeezys out of this bro..

my man worked hard to get those
laugh.gif

OP just wants to bring back baggy clothes, let that boy cook!!!

Man, I grew up on this website. And I remember when my style was a direct influence from this site, and sites similar (uptown.net). This was around 2002-2005. I was that guy who took styles from different regions and really brought them out locally (Florida)...So I can definitely see the benefit of the internet.

...Although I'm far removed from street fashion now, I imagine that its the same cycle that I experienced. Only difference for me, I've always had good taste mixed with a diverse range of style. I had no problem going from a fitted w/ jays, to loafers and chinos. Now-a-days, I am clueless as to what is hot, so to speak.

Back
Top Bottom