The LeBron line

Originally Posted by steven42lh

The difference between the 2 lines for me personally is that the Bron line wasn't really meant to be worn casually like how the Jordans were. You could wear almost any Jordan with Jeans off the court and it would be cool. With the Bron's only in my opinion the III's and the VI look good with some jeans. I bought all of the Lebron's specifically to play in because I'm a big guy and need that support; all the Jordan's I buy because of the memories and how they look off the court. With all that said, if/when they retro the Lebron III I will definitely be buying a pair again. But until Lebron's line conquers the balance of off court looks with on-court performance it won't be able rival the Air Jordan.

ummm...not sure that's the case. its really the lack of imagination, me thinks...i can't remember ANYONE saying they were buying mikes because"they look good with jeans" that is the current trend (by which i mean in the last 5-7 years, in fact to go a step further i would say exactly whenwht on wht AF1s became widely available). fact is people bought shoes (jordans & the like) because they liked the shoes...and wore them witheverything...so it wasn't that they looked good with jeans so much as we were used to seeing those shoes worn casually. also, i don't think peopleunderstand how thoroughly jordan changed and influenced this footwear thing...so let's stop comparing. everyone is soooo busy critiquing what comes out& comparing to those past shoes that the good things go overlooked (not saying there isn't a place for criticism, just that some context would benice). let's appreciate what is now...

I think "wearability" plays a part in it too. Overall, the Lebrons is very bulky.
In the court, the LBJ's can't really be worn by PG's because it is heavy and bulky.
While with Jordan, it's light and less bulky design makes it versatile and be used by both smaller and bigger players.
It also makes it easier to wear less bulky shoes casually.

^^^right i think the most important thing you touched on there was the lack of imagination. as far as i'm concerned since the lebron IVs dropped, Nike hasdropped the ball aestetically. they are so concerned wit locking down his foot and comfort (amongst other things which ARE important), its like noone stops tothink "what's this gonna look like when we put it on the shelf? or how can we push the boundaries design wise?" That was what was appealing aboutLBJ 1 and 2. They had all these elements that gave them a unique look, as well as practical elements that improved performance.
Once the designers start doing that again, i think the LeBron line has potential to rival Jordan Brand.

Originally Posted by RFX45

I think "wearability" plays a part in it too. Overall, the Lebrons is very bulky.
In the court, the LBJ's can't really be worn by PG's because it is heavy and bulky.
While with Jordan, it's light and less bulky design makes it versatile and be used by both smaller and bigger players.

"wearability," huh? i'm willing to accept that LBJs kicks have tended to be on the hefty side, however just to counter, the CB line was a popularline that were almost all bulky. the air max sensation, the air much more uptempo, the pippen i, all of the penny's except for the foams and maybe thepenny iiis, the questions, the first few shaqs...all pretty much heavier bulkier designs...and all pretty beloved and worn casually

Originally Posted by threat6

^^^right i think the most important thing you touched on there was the lack of imagination. as far as i'm concerned since the lebron IVs dropped, Nike has dropped the ball aestetically. they are so concerned wit locking down his foot and comfort (amongst other things which ARE important), its like noone stops to think "what's this gonna look like when we put it on the shelf? or how can we push the boundaries design wise?" That was what was appealing about LBJ 1 and 2. They had all these elements that gave them a unique look, as well as practical elements that improved performance.
Once the designers start doing that again, i think the LeBron line has potential to rival Jordan Brand.

i worded that poorly, i was saying the consumers to some extent have lost there imagination when it comes to what they are willing to rock...its partly becausethere is greater choice, so increasingly people can look @ new performance hoop shoes as strictly hoop shoes & shoes to chill in; but also that right nowit doesn't seem people want to give the new stuff a chance. seems like everyone is blinded by retro stuff...the thing that i think is funny is that if youra high school kid now, what shoe(s) from this era will they look back on as what was dope; most likely it will be things like the aj retros, the sb dunks, andyes the Yeezys...

Lebrons line nor Kobes will never be popular like MJs. Not even 10% of what Jordan line is. I think Lebrons shoes have always been wack(WACK). Kobes Nike Zoom1s Black/red/white are one of my favorite shoes. They are really nice and remember them being so comfy when I bught them in 8th grade lol. While the Yeezys arehella hyped, I think its a pair of shoes that is actually worth copping because of the quality(And they fuc*** glow in the dark lol). Skytops were said to besneaker of the year in 08 while I still think it should of been the Jordan 23s. I see the Yeezys being #1 this year. I still dont own a pair but the TANS willbe mine
smile.gif
. Also Jordans 1s became so popular because of him being fined for wearing them on the court. This made you want to get them I guess lol. He alsorevolutionized the game with the 3s being first shoes with air bubbles and so on. This made people want to cop Jordans and then rappers started wearing themand made the followers follow lol. But its true. Just look @ Fresh Prince (WILL SMITH, WAS A RAPPER FOR SO MANY OF YALL DAT DONT KNOW ABOUT TRUE HIP-HOP, HEWAS MORE CLEAN RAP THAN HARD CORE LIKE COMPTON RAP LOL)rocking the Vs in the show FRESH PRINCE OF BEL AIR.

Originally Posted by tokes99

Originally Posted by RFX45

"wearability," huh? i'm willing to accept that LBJs kicks have tended to be on the hefty side, however just to counter, the CB line was a popular line that were almost all bulky. the air max sensation, the air much more uptempo, the pippen i, all of the penny's except for the foams and maybe the penny iiis, the questions, the first few shaqs...all pretty much heavier bulkier designs...and all pretty beloved and worn casually

My point was mostly about it's versatility on the court.
But the Barkley's being worn casually back then is more common but as we approach an era of no baggy or bootcut jeans, the number of people wearingbasketball shoes casually is also decreasing.
You simply can't wear them casually as easily anymore, even some Jordan's being worn casually is pushing it.
So witht he focus of how popular the LBJ line will be, these factors has to be considered.
I can't see many people buying retro LBJ III or IV and wearing them casually around compared to most of these retro Air Jordans.

Originally Posted by retr0sxual

Wow! @ everyone getting at GTEK.
eek.gif

You don't think the Yeezys will be going for more than the average rare Air Jordan retro in 10 years?

You're going to argue against the creativity of its design?

You're going to argue that its quality isn't amazing?

Aight.
laugh.gif

Then again, maybe I'm reading GTEK's response wrong.
nerd.gif
Not everybody likes the yeezy's bro, a lot of hate.

Originally Posted by JFMartiMcDandruff

Originally Posted by retr0sxual

Wow! @ everyone getting at GTEK.
eek.gif

You don't think the Yeezys will be going for more than the average rare Air Jordan retro in 10 years?

You're going to argue against the creativity of its design?

You're going to argue that its quality isn't amazing?

Aight.
laugh.gif

Then again, maybe I'm reading GTEK's response wrong.
nerd.gif
Not everybody likes the yeezy's bro, a lot of hate.
Duly noted.

If you look years ago, Jordans really didn't stay on the shelves. They sold out. And the ones that didn't sell out, they in turn became collectorsitems years down the road. I just don't see that happening with Lebron. His shoes saturate the market. They rarely ever sell out. I mean, I see more peoplebuying the Air Max 360s down here in Maryland than I do Lebrons.

Plus this thread is going to go to crap in a year if he's with that steaming pile of S of Under Armour.

On a more serious note, where do you get those small pic/video clips like the one above...I really want the Boo This Man file. This site is awesome.

Zoom Generation - Tinker Hatfield, Eric Avar and Aaron Cooper
II-VI - Ken Link
VII - Jason Petrie

Although from what I hear, no one person designs one complete shoe; there is always collaboration between designers helping out with different aspects of theshoe.

Damn some of yall going in with them Essay Lenth replys!!!
laugh.gif

but imma keep mine simple

JB stands on its own... no1 will ever out do or be on the same level a Jordan
Lebron stands on its own as well tho... like some1 said earlier in the thread "Only time will tell" and it also kinda depends on how lebrons careerplays out.

and those dunkman iii's r soooooo piff
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by HMack007

If you look years ago, Jordans really didn't stay on the shelves. They sold out.
A sell out 15 years is ago is different from selling out now(if that makes sense). Back then, a jordan wouldn't sell out within 3 hours ofreleasing, It might take 2 weeks to 2 months. Plus, you figure only 3 or 4 colorways of each style was coming out. How many colorways of the Lebron 4'swere released to the general public? 6, 7? Plus consumers now have a much bigger selection of nike product to choose from. A decade and a half ago, you boughtjordans because a) they were a status symbol sneaker, or b) they were the top the line basketball shoes of that time

I'm a Lebron fan, I think all his shoes have looked pretty good, but jordan (and air jordans) were a once in a generation phenomena.

But the Barkley's being worn casually back then is more common but as we approach an era of no baggy or bootcut jeans, the number of people wearing basketball shoes casually is also decreasing.
You simply can't wear them casually as easily anymore, even some Jordan's being worn casually is pushing it.
So witht he focus of how popular the LBJ line will be, these factors has to be considered.
I can't see many people buying retro LBJ III or IV and wearing them casually around compared to most of these retro Air Jordans.

though i did not explicitly mention on court, i think the sentiment holds true there as well; all types of cats were playing in the shoes i mentioned...nodoubt that there aren't too many rock b-ball shoes (newly designed ones, anyway) casually(and not that they should either), some of it definitely is due tojust the shift in tastes but it seems like no one wants to step out there with the new stuff usually the reasoning is as you mentioned, not easy to wearcasually but i disagree; cats just aren't seeing it...funny enough people dig the yeezy's, which definitely are bulky, and wear them with skinny jeans(it's apples to oranges, but still)

Originally Posted by tokes99

But the Barkley's being worn casually back then is more common but as we approach an era of no baggy or bootcut jeans, the number of people wearing basketball shoes casually is also decreasing.

though i did not explicitly mention on court, i think the sentiment holds true there as well; all types of cats were playing in the shoes i mentioned...no doubt that there aren't too many rock b-ball shoes (newly designed ones, anyway) casually(and not that they should either), some of it definitely is due to just the shift in tastes but it seems like no one wants to step out there with the new stuff usually the reasoning is as you mentioned, not easy to wear casually but i disagree; cats just aren't seeing it...funny enough people dig the yeezy's, which definitely are bulky, and wear them with skinny jeans (it's apples to oranges, but still)

The Yeezy's aren't bulky, at least not as bulky as the Lebrons.
It is just a high top but it is low profile. The midsole doesn't look like it will give you an inch of extra height and the way it is designed, it issomewhat slick and not too high overall.
The Lebron's are just really big and bulky overall compared to the Yeezy.
Make the Yeezy's the same cut as the Lebrons and remove the huge tongue and it won't look bulky at all.
It is practically the AJ III's as a high top with a big tongue.

Kobe all the way, Lebron dunkman logo all the way.
Jordan has too many lines now, knida mixed up too much for marketing.

Back
Top Bottom