The McLaren Automotive Thread

IMG_1232.JPG

I saw this in a parking lot last week.

Not really a car question, but theres a dealership here in Charlotte just in a random place newar our downtown. Can anyone tell me how they decide locations for dealerships/showing rooms? Seems so random

The price on Chassis #042 is POA. I'm saying it's probably close to $20M!

Was truly lucky to see an actual McLaren F1 in person several years back. And it was one of the LM models, made to celebrate their 5 cars that finished the 1995 LeMans race, in 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, & 13th. It was a surreal moment to walk into McLaren Philadelphia and see it sitting there on display.
IMG_20161013_130705.jpg
IMG_20161013_130806.jpg
IMG_20161013_125024.jpg
IMG_20161013_125834.jpg
IMG_20161013_130301.jpg
IMG_20161013_130441.jpg
IMG_20161013_125907.jpg
IMG_20161013_130339.jpg

Car in photos looks big, but in person, it's so small. It's actually shorter in overall length than a Porsche Boxster!! 😲😲 Car was there as it was just purchased and McLaren Philadelphia is the ONLY factory service center in the country that can service all the F1s in the USA. They had it there for several weeks and it was a sight to see!!

Definitely my #1 bucket list spot (and I've seen an MC12 and a Bugatti EB110 in person) but this, this is on a totally different level! Such a sight. And for anyone who wants to fully understand the car, I advise you to track down a copy of Driving Ambition. It's the entire history of the development of the F1. It's a rather large book (so it's not one to sit in bed or a chair and read, as it's a big heavy, lol) and now worth some $$$ (so copies aren't cheap unless it's in rough shape) but it's so worth reading. I'm 130 pages in (I sit at my dining room table and read it) and the development & technically thoughts from Gordon Murray (among many others) that went into this is just astonishing!!!

Not just any F1, but the LM... that's the unicorn right there. Seeing an F1 is epic enough. Seeing an LM... I'd probably pass out.

I've been wanting a copy of Driving Ambition for years, but, like you said, it just too damn expensive. And I'm hesitant on any 2nd hand purchases. Welp.

Not just any F1, but the LM... that's the unicorn right there. Seeing an F1 is epic enough. Seeing an LM... I'd probably pass out.

I've been wanting a copy of Driving Ambition for years, but, like you said, it just too damn expensive. And I'm hesitant on any 2nd hand purchases. Welp.

I figured you would get a kick out of it buddy. I probably should have expounded more that it was an LM (should have put that part in bold I guess, lol). I did get chills seeing it. Really did.

And about the book? I bought my copy years ago on eBay for at the time like $100 or so, and got the poster with all the chassis numbers and the dust jacket. Never thought it would be worth as much as it is today. And to think, I remember vividly that book, in Borders Books all sealed up for like $50 or so and didn't buy it. Wish I could go back and grab as many as I could in the sealed condition. Who knew?!! 😐

Oh, one more thing. The rumors of who's it was were running rampid. Someone said it was Ralph Lauren's newest purchase (he already had both a regular and an LM I believe). No factual info on that though.

A fascinating interview with the guy who owned that F1 and Enzo... the ones Tiff tested on Fifth Gear.
A great series of videos... what a collection.

Back
Top Bottom