The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- UFC on NOW: Black Beast

He won a split decision against Gus in a war where he took a ton of punishment, I wouldn't call that domination :lol:

As far as the AJ fights, first fight I was impressed with cormier's toughness taking those big shots from AJ. 2nd fight I was just disappointed with Rumble fighting like a dumb***

Overall I wouldn't say Cormier has done anything post Jones that makes me think he's improved as a fighter to the point where he'll be a much tougher fight for Jones the next time around. I like the guy and he's still clearly the best in the weight class next to Jones, but I can easily see a replay of the first fight happening again. And his age + surgeries + weight problems are not helping his chances imo

He won a split decision against Gus in a war where he took a ton of punishment, I wouldn't call that domination
laugh.gif

As far as the AJ fights, first fight I was impressed with cormier's toughness taking those big shots from AJ. 2nd fight I was just disappointed with Rumble fighting like a dumb***

Overall I wouldn't say Cormier has done anything post Jones that makes me think he's improved as a fighter to the point where he'll be a much tougher fight for Jones the next time around. I like the guy and he's still clearly the best in the weight class next to Jones, but I can easily see a replay of the first fight happening again. And his age + surgeries + weight problems are not helping his chances imo
Yeah you're right about that, I don't think DC proved anything more than what we've known about him

Jones' rust will (should) even the playing field a bit 

Dana was just on the ECF postgame saying McGregor's side has it figured out and they just need to get Haymon and Mayweather on the same page.

Lmaoo didn't do ish for him last time. Jones can't box for ish and his fingers out defense is illegal now I believe

Jones already looked off against an inferior osp
No idea why this keeps being the narrative for that fight. He explained it best: why would he go out there and risk everything? He got switched to a new opponent last minute who had tons of power and was a southpaw. Should he have gone out there and been cocky like Luke Rockhold? 

Anything can happen in MMA and he knows that. He just had to "survive" OSP to get to the fight with DC. 

No idea why this keeps being the narrative for that fight. He explained it best: why would he go out there and risk everything? He got switched to a new opponent last minute who had tons of power and was a southpaw. Should he have gone out there and been cocky like Luke Rockhold? 

Anything can happen in MMA and he knows that. He just had to "survive" OSP to get to the fight with DC. 
Its just an opinion bro. Ring rust and power lifting had him looking stiff. Don't know why you're asking me if he should have been cocky like rockhold, ain't nobody saying that lol

One fight a year for 4 years most likely has an effect on any human. It's not that unfair a claim

Last edited:
Its just an opinion bro. Ring rust and power lifting had him looking stiff. Don't know why you're asking me if he should have been cocky like rockhold, ain't nobody saying that lol

One fight a year for 4 years most likely has an effect on any human. It's not that unfair a claim
You getting sensitive again like Cody 
laugh.gif
 I was speaking generally. 

I'm not asking you about Rockhold. That entire post is simply paraphrasing what he said. 

http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/...um-criticism-from-his-last-performance-062316

One fight a year aint that far fetched when you are at the highest level. Shoot, how often did Aldo defend his belt? Khabib is eligible like 75% of the year because of Ramadan. 

My entire point is that you can't attribute ring rust and power lifting completely to that performance given the fact that it was done on short notice against a rising contendor. He basically did whatever he wanted with him in there. For any other fighter, that would have been considered masterful. But for Jon it was considered lackluster.

I'm a stan, come at me bro!

There's nothing to talk about. In a pure boxing match with boxing rules, Conor loses every round, possibly gets stopped, and people go home feeling like they wasted their money.

If they don't stack the undercard that's gonna be even more of a bust than Canelo-Chavez

that **** is a joke

Yeah but its looking like it might happen champ

MIGHT is a strong word. The only thing that has happened is the agreement between Dana and Conor.

The negotiations with Floyd about to be some whole other ****.

There's nothing to talk about. In a pure boxing match with boxing rules, Conor loses every round, possibly gets stopped, and people go home feeling like they wasted their money.

If they don't stack the undercard that's gonna be even more of a bust than Canelo-Chavez

Canelo-Chavez was a **** fight because of Chavez but it certainly wasn't a "bust" and this fight won't be either.

You getting sensitive again like Cody :lol:  I was speaking generally. 

I'm not asking you about Rockhold. That entire post is simply paraphrasing what he said. 

http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/...um-criticism-from-his-last-performance-062316

One fight a year aint that far fetched when you are at the highest level. Shoot, how often did Aldo defend his belt? Khabib is eligible like 75% of the year because of Ramadan. 

My entire point is that you can't attribute ring rust and power lifting completely to that performance given the fact that it was done on short notice against a rising contendor. He basically did whatever he wanted with him in there. For any other fighter, that would have been considered masterful. But for Jon it was considered lackluster.

I'm a stan, come at me bro!
You crazy bro lmao. All I'm gonna reply is that once a year isn't bad for maybe a few years. But one fight a year over 4 years is a serious challenge. That really isn't anything crazy to say...

Canelo-Chavez was a **** fight because of Chavez but it certainly wasn't a "bust" and this fight won't be either.

Enh, I was legitimately pissed that I wasted time watching that **** :lol:.

Maybe I should've known Chavez was gonna be a letdown, but I think anybody who was similarly expecting an actual comptetive fight that night felt like it was a bust. And I think anybody that goes into Conor Floyd thinking it'll be anywhere near competitive is definitely gonna be letdown too.

But if you're just paying to see the circus act though, and you have very low expectations for how well Conor will do, then yeah you'll be fine.

Oh it was most definitely a **** fight. When I think "bust" I think finances though and it looks like it still did numbers and they got what they wanted which was basically to start promoting GGG/Canelo.

Masvidal-Thompson would be a great matchup. Hope it gets​ made.

Not a bad fight indeed. Makes the most sense. Wonderboy coming off the two split-decision losses to Woodley. Masvidal coming off his loss to Maia.

Maybe the winner becomes the #1 contender?

MIGHT is a strong word. The only thing that has happened is the agreement between Dana and Conor.

The negotiations with Floyd about to be some whole other ****.

Floyd negotiations to stall in 5,4,3....

Side note. Daley\rory flying under the radar?

Conor's side was never the issue, so while that's good that they've come to an agreement, Floyds side was always the issue.. in terms of what he deems fair in relation to what Dana/UFC deems fair.

I think this is gonna be more so a call from the new ownership, they're probably still trying to get money back on their investment. Dana at this point probably gives a rats *** about everything. He's just a puppet Tbh. If this was the past and Dana and the brothers were still in charge, I think the odds of a deal is even slimmer .. this is a point I did not consider when the rumors first popped up. New owners probably want this badly which could mean concessions which could mean better odds for a deal to be struck

I'm extremely disappointed that Michael page got injured. I'm excited for Rory and Daley but Daley really isn't anything special anymore. Still a fun fight, would have loved to see Daley and page win and set up a fight between them

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom