The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- UFC 301 in Brazil- Pantoja/Aldo etc. SAT 5/4

It's always been Wrestling defense and take down defense. His BJJ is slick and he's so damn fluid and athletic. If he can control the opponent's wrestling to a point he could definitely have a good chance to get the belt back from whoever has it

RDA's beatdown of Pettis was thorough but I'm not subscribing to the theory that Pettis can't beat him down the line

Last edited:
Pettis gon be a problem in a few years. Once he builds that BJJ even further as well as his wrestling. 

Two straight submissions with Bendo and Gilbert? Sheesh

Pettis is in his prime now.

As good as he is i'd be surprised if he became champ again.

hes a problem now but hes not going to be a bigger problem in 2 years

guys like RDA and khabib have bodies that are built for throwing guys like him around

his wrestling will improve but not enough for these 2

Maybe some of you guys can explain this, why the hell hasn't Sterling received a new contract yet? After reading that B/R article, seems Dana doesn't wanna pay him. Kid is well spoken, highly marketable, and skilled...I would think in a company in need of big stars, he'd be pushed better. Has a valid point about Sage getting way more than him...

Only explanation I can fathom is Sterling knows his worth and isn't afraid to speak on it, while a young'n like Sage is more than happy to tote the company line.

Maybe some of you guys can explain this, why the hell hasn't Sterling received a new contract yet? After reading that B/R article, seems Dana doesn't wanna pay him. Kid is well spoken, highly marketable, and skilled...I would think in a company in need of big stars, he'd be pushed better. Has a valid point about Sage getting way more than him...

Only explanation I can fathom is Sterling knows his worth and isn't afraid to speak on it, while a young'n like Sage is more than happy to tote the company line.

He might feel like he's worth more than dana and co think. He hasn't proven himself yet as a draw or top guy imo. I like him and his team tho so I hope he gets the chance to shine

- Lower weight classes get paid less in general
- Sterling is still a contender, TJ is the champ and even he's only getting 52k to show and 52k for a win
- UFC pay is generally trash with the exception of the top guys
- They pick and choose the guys/girls they feel are marketable. They're giving Sage like 40k/40k to fight nobodies, but then a guy like Nate Diaz who wins fight/performance of the night damn near everytime out and has a tons of supporters it seems is getting 15k/15k, and Dana won't renegotiate with him because he doesn't "move the needle"

The kid seems pretty legit, offering him 20k/20k is just wack. But basically you get whatever you can negotiate with them, based on whatever they feel you're worth at the time, which seems almost arbitrary when you see what some guys get paid vs others. And they seem to lack an ability or a motivation to make or promote new stars well, especially at the lower weights (unless you fit a cookie cutter mold like Sage or Paige Vanzant, then you're money). So if you're not talking and building a name yourself, or already built a name in another organization, or I guess have a real strong management team, you'll probably be getting lowballed.

Nick Saban knows 
pimp.gif

He showed Alabama Mystic Mac highlights pre-game

The last thing he told his team before they took the field: "we didn't come here to take part, we came here to take over" 
pimp.gif

Champs know champs

Last edited:
Getting hyped for this weekend. Didn't know Felder was on the card.

Browne vs. Meathead.

Pearson.

Some vets like Boetch, Saunders.

I like it.

Anybody think Cruz is going to try and wrestle TJ??

He's known for the footwork but his wrestling is pretty nasty. I mean he shut DJ down back in the day.

Aljamain problem he is a black fighter and the ufc only puts real money into white fighters like paige and sage . Its why they pushed Gus over Jon so heavily

Last edited:
Anybody think Cruz is going to try and wrestle TJ??

He's known for the footwork but his wrestling is pretty nasty. I mean he shut DJ down back in the day.
Wouldn't surprise me.

If they stand Cruz will win the point war.. Basically he won't lose cause he's better.

Last edited:
Aljamain problem he is a black fighter and the ufc only puts real money into white fighters like paige and sage . Its why they pushed Gus over Jon so heavily
Seems like a stretch but yeah, obviously white in any aspect of life seems to have an advantage. I think it just has to do with the flavor of the month more so. Back in the day they pushed Rampage, Rashad, Anderson etc. If you're marketable/entertaining/sex object and you win, you'll get the push

Pretty sure Jon Jones is one of the highest paid in the UFC 
laugh.gif
 if that's incorrect, feel free to post some numbers

Cruz going to get his belt back. If dillashaw was smart he'd kick the knees like greg jackson fighters do. Cruz might legit murder him if he injures his knees though.

Seems like a stretch but yeah, obviously white in any aspect of life seems to have an advantage. I think it just has to do with the flavor of the month more so. Back in the day they pushed Rampage, Rashad, Anderson etc. If you're marketable/entertaining/sex object and you win, you'll get the push

Pretty sure Jon Jones is one of the highest paid in the UFC :lol:  if that's incorrect, feel free to post some numbers

They killed Jon's nike deal the minute it was signed he was only allowed shorts and a walkout shirt with them. Nike asked for representation in the ring and Dana and the roid brothers were completely against it. UFC practically dumped all their lhw marketing dollars into Gus over Jon they made it out like the champ was the challenger. Look at how the UFC treated Benson dude could be marketed to all walks of people he is like the bo jackson of grappling dude competes in the Pan Am, ADCC and was champ yet no attempt was made to market that .

Aljmain knows that he could easily be a big star he finishes fights he is strong smart and intelligent yet the UFC acts like he is unmarketable . Conor benefits from the fact he doesn't have insane backlash for opening his mouth just like Chael did .

Do you have figures of how much exactly they spent to market Gus against Jon?

They turned on Jon for two reasons

1. He was getting into legal trouble multiple times

2. He didn't want to fight Chael

Before those things he was hyped just like any other white fighter

Benson is awesome, but he became a point fighter until recently. There's nothing wrong with making these guys test the market. Wouldn't be surprised if Sterling and Bendo were back and taken care of

Last edited:
I mean, Sterling is a coo fighter, but cmon man you gotta pay your dues....

you chose the fighter lifestyle......fighting isnt a highly paid profession....AT ALL.

If you got into the fight game to become rich, you already lost.

This is a passion sport, most doods really fighting are fighting for respect and glory, not a check.

You can tell whose fighting for checks and who's fighting for the passion.

You got these part-time fighters who train 3-5 days a week, hold a side job and fight 2-3 times a year with the UFC or another promotion

then you got guys who just train. 7 days a week, live in the gym/onsite and train. No job, no family really, just purley dedicated to the sport.

Not interested in a the new 7 series, buying their mom a house, getting endorsement deals, and other TV/Movie opportunities.

I look at guys like sterling and I see the former.

I mean finishes are great, but its also the fashion you do it, hes not a overly entertaining fighter to watch.....hes not going to co-headline, or headline a show anytime soon.

hes gotta prove that before he can get paid like I know he wants to.

Everyone want conor money, but cant do what conor do.

BEFORE conor even opens his mouth up to promote a fight, its his fighting style that is getting him paid. Hes a must watch in MMA right now.

Sterling is just another solid fighter that are dime a dozen right now.

Dues man, dues.

Last edited:
None of these guys are fighting for fun in 2015 this isn't early days of pride and the wrestlers wearing shoes in the ring era. Everybody fighting now sees that getting on tv and getting exposure means money lots of money and prestige. I don't know a single active fighter who continually fights who isn't waiting on the phone call from Silva or Dana.

Paying your dues is nonsense when the UFC cuts guys for the smallest things or outright bashes a guy to show that they are tougher.

None of these guys are fighting for fun in 2015 this isn't early days of pride and the wrestlers wearing shoes in the ring era. Everybody fighting now sees that getting on tv and getting exposure means money lots of money and prestige. I don't know a single active fighter who continually fights who isn't waiting on the phone call from Silva or Dana.

Paying your dues is nonsense when the UFC cuts guys for the smallest things or outright bashes a guy to show that they are tougher.
Nothing will change until there's some sort of union

Last edited:
With Sterling, it's all about weight class in my opinion.

I also believe the fact that he is pushing for what he is worth is causing friction. Hands down he deserves it based on what he has done, but the UFC doesn't like to do what somebody else tells them to unless they're giving Dana backshots while speaking in an accent.

I agree in a way, because when the champ is only making 100k per fight you can't be expecting crazy dollars.

However when you see the ufc sign a barbie and ken doll and promote them crazy and pay them 40k/40k per fight off the break, theres no way that wouldn't work your nerves. They basically manufacture stars they think are "marketable", meanwhile they stick a legit undefeated top prospect like AlJo on fightpass prelims. And then won't pay him because he's not marketable. Maybe if you tried in the slightest to get the guy exposure it might help.

That's why it sucks that strikeforce wec and pride arent around anymore, way more opportunities to be a star and get paid and promoted right. Bellator is not the UFC competition I was hoping it'd be.

For all we know Paige and Sage might not even make it to the top 10 the thing is they are given easy match ups and the UFC invest time into them . Sage came from Legacy FC on a decent streak and the UFc doesn't give him challenging match ups they give him some guys who don't even belong on the roster .

^ I mean it can be argued that sage has been on a fighters path since he was a kid......so it makes his journey a little bit more interesting to watch since he was this highly touted karate prospect with accolades and all. I think a guy like sage would have eventually made it to the big show, the dana show just perpetuated and magnified it.

There's no doubt, sage is a stud. Hes going to be fun to follow through ought his career.

For sterling to compare his situation to sage's its just different. Cats need to focus on themselves FIRST.

Paige...lol I got nothing....just a pretty face.

I mean if you want to make millions in the fight game, you gotta fight a certain way.

I dont even know who sterling is aside from him wearing his gold rope.

look at some of the highest paid guys in the game...its their fighting style, not their record or how many ranked wins they have.

Nick diaz perfect example. Mark Hunt. etc.

Aljamain need to pay his dues, win the crowd and then demand more money. This dood want more money and nobody even knows who he is.....he has 0 leverage. A couple top 10 wins in the least watched division aint gonna cut it.

He gotta be realistic.

20 g's for 15 minutes is ALOT of money.

Last edited:
The only thing I'll say on Sterling is that his argument is that he wasn't given any sort of hype. Despite his resume, which is pretty solid, he got pretty much zero push from Dana and the UFC. If he did get even a little push, perhaps his brand is bigger with fans and America

Other than that, he can go out and test his value on the open market. If other orgs like him as much as he likes himself, he will be fine

Back
Top Bottom