The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- UFC on NOW: Black Beast

Khabib went against his coaching in his last three fights with Johnson, Edson and Iaquinta and tried to box instead of wrestle to “prove a point that he can strike”

I’m very curious if he does the same thing with conor

I'm not a weight cutting expert but 11 pounds in essentially 4 days seems like A LOT to deal with leading up to the biggest fight of your career.

Like af1 mentioned, Conor's game has grown a lot with the Floyd experience. I think Khabib is going to be shellshocked at the power, hand speed, timing, accuracy, you name it, with the striking of Conor.

Not that much at all... Seems like he may have a diet finally down IF he is actually 166... If he can be 162 by Thursday it will be a very easy cut for him

42940140_10214448985953178_5143882141993533440_n.jpg

Khabib went against his coaching in his last three fights with Johnson, Edson and Iaquinta and tried to box instead of wrestle to “prove a point that he can strike”

I’m very curious if he does the same thing with conor

Didn't look that way to me with the Johnson and Edson fights. All fights start standing up. Looked like he would box at the beginning of the round for a while to set up the eventual take down. Dude spent a lot of time on top and against the cage throwing elbows and punches. The Iaquinta fight however was him def trying to show off some boxing.

Didn't look that way to me with the Johnson and Edson fights. All fights start standing up. Looked like he would box at the beginning of the round for a while to set up the eventual take down. Dude spent a lot of time on top and against the cage throwing elbows and punches. The Iaquinta fight however was him def trying to show off some boxing.
This is what was said by Javier himself

fair enough.
My mistake, Javier said this only about Johnson and Iaquinta. For Edson, Javier said their plan worked to perfection, he referenced the Johnson fight while commenting on the Barboza fight "this time he didn't stand in the pocket with a striker"

From another interview:

“I say to [my fighters], ‘I don’t care what you do, as long as you’re winning,'” Javier Mendez said on the latest episode of BJPENN.COM Radio. “Okay, so let’s backtrack to when Khabib fought Michael Johnson [at UFC 205], and he wasn’t fighting the right way, and we were screaming our heads off, and then he did what he needed to do. He won the first round, he submitted him in the second.”

“Khabib has always done what he wants to do, but he’s won every round, so he’s always winning,” Mendez continued. “So regardless, how can I come back and say, ‘Hey! You didn’t listen to the blah blah blah blah blah.’ He did listen to the plan, because I said regardless of what you do, you have to win. As long as you’re winning. And he hasn’t lost a round. He wins every round. So, what he wants to do, he’s gonna want to do.”

I'm not a weight cutting expert but 11 pounds in essentially 4 days seems like A LOT to deal with leading up to the biggest fight of your career.

Like af1 mentioned, Conor's game has grown a lot with the Floyd experience. I think Khabib is going to be shellshocked at the power, hand speed, timing, accuracy, you name it, with the striking of Conor.

Lol, dudes cut this in a day. Tbh can be done in a few hours.

Max was 185 or something crazy about 10 days out of that potential fight with Khabib and he was on track until his damn organs starting shutting down... So much info out there now that its all tracked and unless the guy can't hang, 20lbs on fight weight should be easy for them... Joe Riggs weighed 202 lbs the night of the fight vs Matt Hughes... A 170lbs fight... Rumble was about the same when he fought 170.

Less than a week away......May the MMA gods be kind.

I gotta say though, even tho Im leaning Mcgregor, im surprised by the amount of people picking him now.

For a while the narrative was Conor having absolutely no shot at winning.

Im leaning Conor because the guys built for these moments especially when people (involved in MMA scene) dont give him a chance. According to a lot of fans and analysts he didnt have a chance against Aldo or Alvarez. To quote Brendan Schaub “ If you dont think Eddie Alvarez gives Mcgregor problems than you just dont know the sport”

You can never underestimate the mental game as well. Mcgregor eats at his opponents verbally and while it may seem to be just a promotional tool its a very effective tactic in fighting. Fighters REALLY dont want to lose this guy, no one wants to lose to someone who talked ish about their father, manager etc......The thing about Mcgregor as well is that he hits fighters with truth. Some of it is just run of the mill trash talk with no real substance but a lot of it is just truth. As we all know, the truth hurts.

Khabibs grappling and top control is unrivaled but thats about it. His striking leaves a lot to be desired. Khabibs tactic every round is, charge the opponent, throw a few shots that really have no belief behind them and then grab the leg. I may get **** on for this but hes not far from a male Rousey if you really break it down.

It can end up be a long or short night for either opponent. Theres a lot of questions waiting to be answered.

i'm 4/4 on my last 4 ufc bets but I am 0/2 betting against Conor :lol:.

I should wait until it is nearer to the fight so the Irish money starts pouring in and moving the line

I just want to remind y'all that some of you said if Conor beats Khabib he's the GOAT.

I cant recall if I said that but Id agree to that.

3 time champ in 2 divisions. Wins at 145,155 and 170.

Wins over Holloway, Porier, Mendes, Diaz, Alvarez and an Undefeated Khabib.

Never missed weight or pulled out. Never popped for PEDs. Always made each one of his bouts fun whether you wanted to see his block get knocked off or vice versa.

MM, DC, Dillashaw and GSP would round out my top 5.

Come at me.

I agree with him 100% ...

List because someone takes PED doesnt meant that person becomes great.

Barry Bond was a great hitter, arguably the best players I have ever seen. Could hit, steal and play the field. Taking PED just enhanced those qualities.

Maguire, arguably the most overrated player o have ever seen. Dude sucked at everything but hitting homerun. PED didnt change how much he sucked in regards to running, fielding, or hitting for average.

Back
Top Bottom