The official '20 NYK thread, Nate jersey retired

Metta World Peace for head coach?

• A. Yes

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • B. No

Votes: 17 65.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Speaking of Westbrook, my fandom can’t be brought into question if I end up buying a Brodie jersey. Love that guy.

I’m probably one of the few people who think Phil was a breath of fresh air and his main issue was thinking he could publicly criticize players and address team issues as if he was still the coach.

different roles need different personalities.
he got dolan to stay behind the scenes, drafted kp and got us to finally start saving our draft picks...and to me, thats huge

I’m probably one of the few people who think Phil was a breath of fresh air and his main issue was thinking he could publicly criticize players and address team issues as if he was still the coach.

different roles need different personalities.
he got dolan to stay behind the scenes, drafted kp and got us to finally start saving our draft picks...and to me, thats huge

The only thing I remember him getting right was the KP pick. He went on to somehow make KP hate him (I don't know the full story). What else did he get right?

Back in the ‘90s, we actually had a chance to get Phil Jackson coaching the Knicks before they hired JVG

then Dave Checketts tried to do JVG dirty by interviewing Phil again before completing the first round vs the heat

Phil had the right ideas and the wrong approach. You can't publicly strong arm your talent now, things have shifted and players have power. The type of power they wished they had back in the day.

I think his ego got in the way on several fronts, from how the offense was run to how he treated players. That's what happens after years of success and having to get it out the dirt again along with not adjusting to new times. He thought he could do whatever he wanted without following protocols or just giving people basic respect.

IMG_20200427_205255.jpg

Phil’s problem ultimately is that he didn’t become the coach. He had philosophies, he had a culture, he had a strategic system he wanted in place, and then he spent half his time in Montana while Derek Fisher was stuck trying to half/implement his ideas.

If you’re a new boss in any company, you can’t come in with big bold ideas and talk about disrupting the industry, changing the culture, and then just leave behind a guy with no managerial experience to run everything while ur barely there. And I don’t blame the players for objecting or not fully buying in because Phil’s not there to lead and explain to them why it works. There’s a chance had he been here full time and coached the team, they could’ve had some success (or not, who knows). But from all reports he wasn’t as active or involved as other GMs, and he expected to just show up every so often and see Fisher (who didn’t even fully believe in the triangle) executing all of his ideas. And I’m sure his presence would’ve made a difference when we got Rose and Noah, a guy who said we had a “random offense” and ended up going awol and a guy who was on drugs out in the city every night.

Fisher and Hornacek got paid so I don’t feel bad for them, but they were left to do Phil’s job, and they couldnt do it. Phil failed bc he thought he could do half of the job, and only some of the time. Dolan thought he could too, even though he knew Phil quit the Lakers because he could only work part time with his health. It was destined to fail, and everyone came out worse for it

100%. Some of Phil’s ideas made sense but he was one of the best locker room manipulators of all time, and he goes from him doing it to Derek fisher doing it. Going at KP and Melo in the media is exactly the type of thing he did to motivate Shaq, Kobe and the Bulls. And it worked.... when he was the coach. He didn’t really figure out how to lead from that GM box.

Perry's presence on teams have produced all-star level draft picks
He was with the Sonics to draft KD
Got Oladipo, Aaron Gordon, Elfrid Payton on the Magic
& Fox on the Kings...

I'm not gonna hold it against Perry for the unspeakable decision/rumors that occurred while Mills was here

Perry has a **** record when it comes to free agents, but he's not that bad for the draft (Elfrid Payton has proven to be trash though)............so we'll live for now

Back
Top Bottom