The Official 2008 Chicago Bulls Off Season Thread: BG Signs 1 Year Deal; No one cares; BASEBALL FTW

Flips done a lot more recently than Doug Collins

but Flip has underachieved like no other coach in the NBA

Wolves and Piston days

ohwell.gif

I'd still take Flip over Doug

flip > doug, IMO.

Sam(Jacksonville): Hi Dave, big Bulls fan here. I saw some video of Luol Deng saying he's down there with you. Ty Thomas is too. I'm so happy!! How dothey look, and can you please try to get Joakim down there too? If he had a jumper, he'd be so much better.

David Thorpe: (12:16 PM ET ) Tyrus and Luol have been spectacular so far. So hard working-first guys here every morning. Udonis told me that Noah will comehere with UD later this summer, but until Chicago makes it's coaching decision everything is a bit up in the air.

Quote:
Nasir, Philly: Do you think Ty Thomas makes big improvements this summer? Lock him up in the gym.

David Thorpe: (12:17 PM ET ) Yes, but he's played better than most people realize already.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=20907

David Thorpe: (12:17 PM ET ) Yes, but he's played better than most people realize already.
This is true. His season average doesn't reflect it but he had some good games late in the season

Marcus (Chicago): Do you think you can help Tyrus learn how to move without the ball through cutting lanes? Last year he didn'tposition himself well to receive it.

David Thorpe: (12:41 PM ET ) Yes we can.

Justin (Chicago): With Beasley measuring in at 6'8.25" in shoes, should that cause teams concern about his ability to play the 4 in the NBA or is thatsort of thing overblown?

David Thorpe: (12:06 PM ET ) Overblown.

Jason: who has more potential, tyrus or horford

David Thorpe: (12:43 PM ET ) TT.

Amjad (Dubai, UAE): What part of Tyrus Thomas' and Luol Deng's game has improved the most in your evaluation? Thanks!

David Thorpe: (1:01 PM ET ) As of now, after a few days, I'd say...
sweating.

"To be honest with you," Deng added, "both those guys (Michael Beasley and Derrick Rose) are great. I'm just happy that we got the number one pick. Our organization is going to do a good job of knowing who's going to fit us best, but I think whatever player you get is going to be great."

Both Rose and Beasley have made it clear that Chicago would be an ideal destination, specifically naming Deng as a guy they're looking forward to playing with. For two years now pundits have been saying Luol is the franchise player, but is he ready to shoulder the load?

"It's something I've got to keep preparing myself for. Like I said, those guys are great players and they're going to see other great players. Either or, I'm excited to play with them. With the year that we had this is the toughest summer. When you don't live up to expectations, you've got to look forward to the next summer to shut up all the critics out there."

As far as the coaching search is concerned, Deng gave only a wry smile, admitting "I really trust the organization in making that choice. Whatever we go with, that's what we're going to go with, and we'll all be in it together."
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=8962

I'm surprised there is no Deng or Gordon contract discussion.

ohwell.gif

Ben wants to get paid and wants that franchise player treatment

This is year isn't really that good for free agents

^^ agreed the bulls need to keep thoses dudes ben is r six man and deng can be a superstar one day
trade larry and kirk bulls have to draft d-rose

Deng is NEVER going to be a superstar. I would do backflips if he could average over 25 PPG and get to the line as much as a Carmelo. BG is a 6th man and Idon't see him being worth 50+ mil. All he does is score. I would rather get a consistent 3 point shooter to have Rose kick it to that will cost a fractionof what Ben THINKS he worth. I think both a very good but nobody is a must keep on this team.

The pick has to be Rose. He has a head for the game and his ability to get to the rack combined with his vision and playmaking ability is too much to pass on.I don't try to compare him to DWill or CP3 because he is is a different type of guard. All I want is for him to be able to control a game like those 2 doand make the players around him better. That is where I stand on this team.

i agree what deng roll is a 3rd option on a team. put up about 16 a game and getting boards and playing Defense. one of those playrs ever champship team needs.

NO GO!
laugh.gif

i'm sure many of you will be pleased
or displeased - those who didn't like him on TNT.

CHICAGO -- Doug Collins isn't coming back to the Chicago Bulls after all,citing a mutual agreement with Bulls owner Jerry Reinsdorf that the team will continue its coaching search without him.

"I just knew over the last few days that Jerry was really struggling over whether or not to do this, and I didn't want Jerry to have thosestruggles," Collins told the Chicago Tribune for a story posted on the paper's Web site. "I love him. And I didn't want him feeling that kindof angst.

"This is absolutely mutual," Collins told the Tribune. "When this first came about, there was a tremendous amount of excitement about thispossibility. And I'm losing that. The feeling now is more, 'Should I do this?' Once I got to that point, it meant no. I always make decisions yesis yes, no is no and maybe is no.

"Jerry knows me well enough to know the only way I could do this is if I was totally engaged. And I just couldn't do that now."

Reinsdorf told the Tribune: "As time went on, he came to realize that there are good coaches out there and we will be able to get somebody and thatit's more important for us to maintain our friendship. I didn't push him to this. And I'm disappointed because I won't be reunited with Doug.But in my heart, I know he made the right decision."

On May 29, ESPN confirmed reports from Chicago-area media outlets that the Bulls intended to announce that Collins would leave his TV career to take over asthe Bulls' head coach. The Bulls denied the reports that day, saying "contrary to some reports that are currently out there, we have not reached anagreement."

Collins, working for TNT on the NBA playoffs that night, said: "I have not been offered. I have not accepted." The Bulls have been without a headcoach for seven weeks since firing

Sacramento Kings assistant coach Chuck Person was set to have a secondinterview with the Chicago Bulls for their vacant head coaching job, the Associated Press reported earlier this week.

Pax and Reinsdorf are getting out of hand with this. I wish they would just pick somebody already. Bulls management is just flat out horrible

^^^thats Tom Thibodeau who i wouldnt mind either as a HC

i was at the gym and seen it on ESPN news did the

lg.pump415.jpg

GOOD JOB BULLS
pimp.gif

I think this may be leading to Pax taking the job, I think popovich was the GM and when Drob went down and the spurs had the a bad record he took over as headcoach making sure they stunk enough to get a shot at the top pick. Pax might see this as his chance to take over at the right time.

As Doug Collins stepped away from the Chicago Bulls' unpredictable coaching searchFriday, another surprise surfaced in this seven-week saga.

NBA coaching sources told ESPN.com on Friday that Phoenix Suns assistant general managerVinny Del Negro -- despite possessing no bench experience -- is getting seriousconsideration for the job that was widely presumed to be going to Collins for the second time.

Collins told The Chicago Tribune that he and Bulls chairman Jerry Reinsdorf mutually agreed that Collins' name would be withdrawn from consideration. Aweek ago, Collins was seen as a lock to leave his post as a TNT analyst to return to Chicago, nearly 20 years after Reinsdorf fired him.

Del Negro, meanwhile, spent Thursday and Friday with the Bulls on an extended interview and was described by multiple sources close to the process as thenew favorite, perhaps edging past former Minnesota Timberwolves coach Dwane Casey.

As Collins faded from shoo-in status this week, Chicago is known to have met with three candidates in the following order: Sacramento Kings assistant coach Chuck Person, Casey and Del Negro.

[+] Enlarge

Andrew D. Bernstein/NBAE via Getty Images

Vinny Del Negro worked in the Phoenix Suns' front office last season.
Yet it must be noted that Del Negro, if he has indeed risen past Casey and Person to the top of Chicago's list, would hardly be the first favorite inthis process. The Bulls' search, nearing the two-month marker, has featured interviews with more than a dozen candidates and frustrating near-deals withMike D'Antoni and now Collins -- both of whom, sources say, were wanted badly by Bulls front-office chief John Paxson.
The Bulls' failure to reach an agreement with Collins has only added to the perception around the league that Paxson can't be as decisive ashe'd like to be because of his boss. ESPN.com reported May 10 that the slow-moving Reinsdorf's insistence on a drawn-out approach was among theclinchers that helped convince D'Antoni to take the eager New York Knicks' lucrativeoffer, after it was well known in coaching circles that going to Chicago was D'Antoni's initial strong preference.

Del Negro has also interviewed for the Phoenix vacancy created by D'Antoni's departure after spending the past season as a top aide to Sunspresident Steve Kerr, who is close with Paxson. Del Negro, 42, has made no secret ofhis desire to move to the coaching side of the game, recently telling The Arizona Republic: "It has always been tugging at me. . . . I enjoy the businesspart of [basketball], but this process has opened my eyes to the passion I have for coaching."

Yet Del Negro didn't make the list of four finalists in Phoenix, with Kerr making it clear that he wants to hire someone with more experience. Coachingsources have maintained for days the Suns will hire Detroit Pistons assistant coach Terry Porter -- formerly the head coach in Milwaukee -- to replace D'Antoni.

Casey, 51, possesses a significant experience edge over Del Negro and Person, having spent more than a decade as an assistant with the Seattle SuperSonics before going 53-69 in 1 1/2 seasons as Minnesota's head coach. After posting a33-49 record in his only full season with the Wolves in 2005-06, Casey was fired halfway through the 2006-07 season with Minnesota at 20-20. The Wolves wentjust 12-30 under Randy Wittman after Casey's dismissal and wound up trading KevinGarnett to Boston three months later.

At this point, though, Chicago is likely facing a public-relations roasting no matter whom it hires. After Collins told ESPN.com in an early May interviewthat he had "no interest" in leaving the TNT booth to coach again -- no longer interested in dealing with "the headaches you have to put upwith" in the modern game -- Collins' change of heart was warmly received in Chicago as a welcome development after the disappointment of losing theD'Antoni derby to the Knicks.

In an interview with the Tribune, Reinsdorf acknowledged it was Collins who initiated Friday's withdrawal while he was deliberating.

"I love Doug Collins," Reinsdorf told the newspaper. "It's not a great thing for friends to jeopardize a relationship for business. Andrelationships with coaches always end at some point.
"I didn't push Doug to this decision. But while I was hesitating, he came to his conclusion.I'm disappointed because I won't be reunited with Doug. But in my heart, I know he made the right decision."
Said Collins, whose friendship with Reinsdorf developed after he left the Bulls following the 1988-89 season: "I just knew over the last few days thatJerry was really struggling over whether or not to do this, and I didn't want Jerry to have those struggles. I love him. And I didn't want him feelingthat kind of angst.

"This is absolutely mutual. When this first came about, there was a tremendous amount of excitement about this possibility. And I'm losing that.The feeling now is more, 'Should I do this?' Once I got to that point, it meant no. I always make decisions [where] yes is yes, no is no and maybe isno."

It's believed the Bulls, like Phoenix, will not be reaching out to former Dallas coach Avery Johnson or freshly dismissed Detroit coach Flip Saunders this late in the process. TheBulls have also yet to give an indication they are waiting for the NBA Finals to end to request permission to speak to Boston Celtics assistant coach Tom Thibodeau, as expected at the start of Chicago's search.

The Suns and Pistons are expected to fill their vacancies next week. In Phoenix, Porter possesses the only head-coaching experience -- as well as thosestrong ties to Kerr -- on a list of finalists which also features San Antonio Spurs assistantMike Budenholzer, Utah Jazz assistant Tyrone Corbin and Houston Rockets assistant Elston Turner. In Detroit, Pistons assistant Michael Curry remains the overwhelming favorite to replace Saunders, with sources indicatingthat Porter is not a candidate for that job.

Whether the Bulls -- billed by one source to be deciding now between Del Negro and Casey -- will make it three coaching appointments next week remains to beseen. It has been known since early May that Casey has a standing offer to join Rick Carlisle's new staff in Dallas if he does not land the Chicago job,while Del Negro might be considered for an assistant coach's slot with Chicago if the Bulls change course yet again.

Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com. To e-mail him, clickhere.

laugh.gif
eek.gif
VINNY !!!

why not avery J ???

at least u know he can coach and will keep these young bulls in checkk

ya i dont mind that we ant hired someone yet. its not like there is a need for one RIGHT NOW.

Ideally, I want Thibodeau and Pooh.

But knowing pax, we should be getting ready for the vinny del negro - derrick coleman 2000 era...
tired.gif

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

They want to interview Tom Thidbeau from Boston

Its not like we're in a rush or anything

Yea it's just all I'm hearing since I work in the Tribune building and I'm venting...what I'm really looking forward to is what kind ofdeal Pax will strike while unloading whoever he does after the Bulls take Rose.

I hear that Tom is an emotional guy like Skiles.

Also, Brian Hanley reporting that the two last candidates are Vinny and Dwayne Casey? I'll pass on Vinny though.

Back
Top Bottom