***The OFFICIAL 2009 SEC Football Thread***

The Rebels just kicked Jamar Hornsby off the team for good

Ole Miss parts ways with Hornsby

July 31, 2009 5:05 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Chris Low

Ole Miss coach Houston Nutt has spoken, and troubled signee Jamar Hornsby will not be a part of the Rebels' football team.

Not long after Hornsby was indicted in court Friday on a felony assault charge, Nutt released a statement saying that he wished Hornsby well, but that Hornsbywould not be a part of the Ole Miss football team.

The translation: You're not going to see many (if any) players on scholarship in the SEC with a felony indictment hanging over their heads.

Part of Nutt's plan all along with Hornsby was to let this play out in court with the hope that the felony charge might go away or be reduced. But whenHornsby was indicted Friday, it was pretty obvious that he wasn't going to be playing football for the Rebels this season.

Nutt took a chance on Hornsby, and it didn't work out. Coaches take similar chances all the time. Sometimes they're rewarded. Sometimes they'reburned.

What the release of Hornsby does is leave the Rebels a little thin in the secondary. They were hopeful that he could come in and push for a starting job atsafety this fall.

Riley Cooper is gonna play football this fall....

Florida's Cooper not done with football yet

August 4, 2009 6:19 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Chris Low

It all seems to be going right for Florida's football team.

Riley Cooper, the lone returning starting receiver from last season's national championship team, will be back for his senior season after contemplatinggiving up football and focusing solely on his professional baseball career.

Cooper was taken in the 25th round of the Major League Baseball draft earlier this year by the Texas Rangers, but was able to agree to contract terms with theRangers that would allow him to play his final season of football at Florida.

That's good news for the Gators, who were going to be extremely inexperienced at receiver. Cooper's return gives them somebody who's been there incrucial situations and delivered in the clutch. He had key receptions in both the SEC Championship Game and BCS National Championship Game last season.

"It was a tough decision, one of the hardest I've ever had to make, but I'm excited about being part of the Texas Ranger organization and comingback and playing football for my final season," said Cooper, who spent his summer playing baseball. "More importantly, I'm looking forward tobeing around my Florida teammates and our Gator coaching staff. We have something special going on in Gainesville and I want to be a part of that. I want tothank the Texas Rangers for allowing me to play my senior football season at Florida, the University of Florida and especially Coach (Urban) Meyer for all hispatience and support during this process."

Meyer thinks Cooper can be a go-to guy for the Gators, who start preseason practice on Thursday.

"Riley is an extremely gifted athlete," Meyer said. "His speed, size and strength make him a tough matchup for defenses. Our whole offense ispredicated on matchup problems for the defense and Riley certainly helps do that for us. He is a big-time playmaker.

"In all of my years of coaching, I don't know if I've ever coached a player that can compete at such a high level in football and baseball. He isa special talent."

There's not a Percy Harvin on this team, and Louis Murphy will be missed, too. But with Cooper back, the Gators' cast of receivers suddenly looks a lotbetter when you also throw in David Nelson, Deonte Thompson, Frankie Hammond Jr. and true freshman Andre Debose. Tight end Aaron Hernandez is one of the bestin the country, and the Gators also plan to use Jeffery Demps some in a dual running back/receiver role similar how they used Harvin last season.

Cooper's roommate, quarterback Tim Tebow, was also glad to hear the news.

"He has the ability to stretch the field and give us the ability to score from anywhere," Tebow said. "He has made a bunch of big plays for us,and I'm looking forward to hooking up with him for many more big plays."

Football Schedules for Week 1

Thur. Sept. 3
South Carolina at NC State ESPN 7:00 ET
Sat. Sept. 5
Kentucky vs. Miami (Ohio) ESPNU 12:00 ET
Western Kentucky at Tennessee ERT/SEC Network 12:21 ET*
Jackson State at Miss. State ESPNU 3:30 ET
Georgia at Oklahoma State ABC 3:30 ET
La. Tech at Auburn ESPNU 7:00 ET
Charleston Southern at Florida FSN 7:00 ET
Missouri State at Arkansas Inst. PPV 7:00 ET
Western Carolina at Vanderbilt CSS 7:30 ET
Alabama vs. Virginia Tech ABC 8:00 ET
LSU at Washington ESPN 10:30 ET
Sun. Sept. 6
Ole Miss at Memphis ESPN 3:30 ET

Dang a night game right off the bat
pimp.gif
I though sure that Charleston Southern would be @ 1230

Cooper's back
pimp.gif

Damn I wish I was gonna be in Gainesville for a game this year
frown.gif

As long as AU can somehow beat LSU I'll be fine. I hate being around all these LSWho fans that smell like corndogs.

Auburn has named Chris Todd as their starting QB, hopefully he has full strength in that arm, if not, Auburn is gonna win 3-4 games max.

Kodi Burns has been moved to WR.

Originally Posted by dreClark

Even for a Spread Option QB, he SUCKED at throwing the ball.

He shoulda been moved to WR
Word, any time I got frustrated with our passing game, I'd just go and watch Auburn and feel better about myself.

Kodi made that move himself, stating that he didn't want to divide the team, so he told the coaches to make a decision. My dude is a leader and will be acontributor at the receiver position, book it.

Coach Malzahn
pimp.gif

I'm interested to see what Jefferson is going to do this year
nerd.gif

laugh.gif
at Houston Nutt getting hype, I've seen it before from him
smh.gif

Originally Posted by Sorkoram

Kodi made that move himself, stating that he didn't want to divide the team, so he told the coaches to make a decision. My dude is a leader and will be a contributor at the receiver position, book it.
I dont see it. not even in that gimmick scheme.

He gonna have to snatch opportunities from Benton, Billings and PP Louis . Burns wasnt THAT kinda Athlete. for a QB hes nasty for a WR hes ordinary

depth chart was given today...

Hartline at QB, the two freshman (Newton and Moss) are both listed at 3rd behind someone y'all don't even know...Cobb's not listed, he'll startat reciever and return punts. Alfonso Smith gets the nod over Locke.

and highly overrated, yet talented, Aaron Boyd is red-shirting. Papa Brooks is already tired of his %@*@.

i just went back to re-read this thread...
Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Best 2010 NFL prospects
trevor Lindsley

boy debacled that kid's name...you better than that.
laugh.gif
smh.gif

Back
Top Bottom