THE OFFICIAL 2023 DALLAS COWBOYS OFF-SEASON THREAD || Cowboys Gonna Cowboy

When they drafted Byron Jones dude I know thats a 49ers fan said it was a dumb pick because who drafts a cornerback from Connecticut in the first round

When they drafted Byron Jones dude I know thats a 49ers fan said it was a dumb pick because who drafts a cornerback from Connecticut in the first round
He’s a good football player. They got at minimum a 5-year starter out of a 1 so it was a good pick.

But I’m not paying him elite CB money. And it doesn’t seem like the Cowboys plan to either.

His athleticism isn’t matching to production, and that’s the infuriating part. He’s one of the most athletic dudes on any field and can’t live up to it.

-Cowboys are 32nd in getting INTs
-29th in FG% despite the T-3rd most attempts
10-19 in FGs at 30+ each time you miss those, you’re likely to hand at least 3 point to the other team.
-Kickers were 94.12% from 30-39 last year. We’re at 71%.
-40-49 was 76% last year for all kickers. We’re at 25%
-50+ at least we’re close. 63% for all kickers last year, we’re at 50%
-We’re 32nd in Yards per punt. At 40.6. The 16th ranked team is 45.7 yards per punt.

-we’re 2nd in 3rd down conversions.
-20th in Red Zone conversion
-We’re also 32nd in where we start drives.
-Yet we’re 4th in average points per drive.

-27th in Average yards per punt return
-32nd in Average yards per kick return.
-3rd highest Avg yds per Punt return defended
-11th highest Avg yds per Kick return defended

-28th in blitz %
-8th in Hurry %. 10th in total sacks so it’s kind of weird why they don’t blitz as much.
-64.3% that they let up in Completion % would be about 10th
-7th most Yards after catch

This team is the worst special teams team in the league, by far. And is severely overmatched in the pass on defense. You’ll never get the argument that Dak is an All-Time QB from anyone here. But in order to win, he basically has to be. So despite being a Top 10 QB easily this year. Zeke being top 10 easily. The line being Top 10 easily. Amari being Top 10 easily, we’re 6-6. We’re lucky we’re not 3-9 in all honesty.

you can point to individual games for all our stars on offense where they sucked. But you can do that for any player on a contender and those teams still win. The reason we’re 6-6 and not 9-3 and could walk into the playoffs, has very little to do with Dak, Zeke, Coop. And almost everything to do with Jerry. Jason Garrett. Brett Maher. Chris Jones. The rest of the special teams unit. And the secondary.

Last edited:
Put Byron Jones back at free safety because he has improved as a defensive back
Draft a corner that can play the ball and create turnovers

Sean Lee gotta go or move him to 4th string defensive end :lol:
Marinelli's scheme is dead, time to move on

Had enough of the Boise State bull:emoji_poop: too
Dont draft another MF'n player from F'n Boise State

I think everyone knows the issues with the tight end position
Witten isn't helping on the field or in the locker room

I saw someone who had the audacity to suggest Jason Witten be this team’s next head coach.

I’ll drive to the Star and burn it down myself if that happens.

I saw someone who had the audacity to suggest Jason Witten be this team’s next head coach.

I’ll drive to the Star and burn it down myself if that happens.

Him and romo’s name I have seen and I will blow the stadium and practice field up myself if that happens

Romo could make double by announcing. No way he takes any Head Coaching role.

Also Kellen Moore hasn’t been terrible. When he plays conservatively, yes it’s bad. But I think that’s more a symptom from the top down. But when he’s doing a lot of motions and play actions, he’s coming up with some creative plays. We need a Head Coach who is willing to play the numbers, and take risks for Kellen’s system to get the best run of it.

Also, it may be time to promote Kris Richard as well. We’re eventually going to lose him if we don’t. Marinelli’s defense was fine last year despite the lack of turnovers. But If everyone isn’t perfect on defense, those lack of turnovers will hurt you.

Moore and Richard may not be the answer, but I’d like to try them as the coordinators to a coach who will gamble.

Also if Byron and XWoods were Our Safeties. I’d be elated. Also out of our DBs. Jourdan Lewis is the only guy I’d bring back (Byron is gone, unless he wanted to stay as a Safety)

Last edited:
I’m with you on Kellen...

Richard and Marinelli can walk tho... This defense is soft at every level, our young LBs regressed greatly...

DBs suck (Richards “speciality”) and they can’t play the ball..

D line sucks and can’t stop a cold (Marinelli “specially”)

I’m over this defense man...the simplicity of it is supposed to keep guys from thinking so they can just play... that isn’t happening...

and I can’t stand Marinelli swearing he can get elite production out of a patchwork defensive line...

And he refuses to get a big run stuffing 1 technique... instead he prefers these “tweeners” like Tyrone Crawford..

Miss me with Kris Richard getting a promotion... he ain’t earned it...

One thing I really can’t stand about Dak is his refusal to check down... and it leads to a lot of 3 and outs..

He stands in the pocket and patiently waits for the long ball when there’s open guys underneath... the sack fumble vs Buffalo was a prime example...

Every week we see checkdowns turn into long plays with a missed tackle or two...Peyton and Brady especially take thecheck down every time it’s available...

And I dont know if the redzone woes are him or Kellen but this offense really stagnates inside the 20...

And he gives up the easiest interceptions it seems weekly now... that interception in the screen to the D-lineman vs Buffalo was inexcusable... throw the ball into the ground...

the Stephon Gilmore interception Coop had a step on the crossing route and Dak is gonna throw behind Coop off his back foot with zero velocity...

I guess all the risk averse, protect the rock at any cost shht was only for rookie year Dak... he gives the opponents one or two short fields per game...

Kellen also has a habit of getting away from the run when it’s working...NE, Buffalo, etc...

some days Dak ain’t got it, Zeke was averaging a healthy 6 yards a carry but only had two carries the whole second half...6 fn yards a carry!! Cmon man

Cowboys have the same problem the Texans have
Watching last night and the Texans stopped running once the passing game started clicking
Cowboys have the same problem
Complete a few passes and Zeke becomes invisible
The defense adjust to the passing game and instead of going back to the run they continue to force the pass

Zeke:

Vs Det 16-45 yards
Vs NO 18-35 yards
VS NYJ 28-105 yards
Vs Vikings 20-47 yards

Teams that have a decent run defense know they can stop the cowboys run game anytime they want. If Cowboys game plan to run Zeke 30 times a game their record this season would be 2-10...... Zeke aint the answer, honestly if they would have passed more they probably could have beat
Pats
Vikings
NYJ

Man i sure hope they fire the Clapper. He has to go for this team to ever be anything more that middle of the road.

Zeke:

Vs Det 16-45 yards
Vs NO 18-35 yards
VS NYJ 28-105 yards
Vs Vikings 20-47 yards

Teams that have a decent run defense know they can stop the cowboys run game anytime they want. If Cowboys game plan to run Zeke 30 times a game their record this season would be 2-10...... Zeke aint the answer, honestly if they would have passed more they probably could have beat
Pats
Vikings
NYJ

Yea it’s been a few games where the run was completely shutdown... like New Orleans and the vikings..Dak couldn’t pass his way to a W..

conversely there have been games Dak was off and we continue to force the pass... even when the run was working, like the patriots or the bills game... no reason for any QB to be passing 50 times, especially when your RB is getting 6 a pop..

All those yards are cool, gotta get buckets tho... too many drives stall in the redzone... that’s on Dak and Kellen imo..

Dak and Kellen have been good don’t get me wrong... just pointing out things that can be improved...

These guys are so checked out on Garrett at this point it’s insane.

Every issue the last few weeks is fairly obviously due to a lack of preparation.

They’ve given up.

Dak can make enough throws.

Want to see him under a well coached football team.

Franchise him and go from there with a new staff.

I’d give Dak the contract. Don’t screw around and then have to pay him 2 years from now. Just start it next year. Because if you franchise Dak, you can’t franchise Cooper. With that you are starting with the same problems Romo had toward the end of his tenure with WRs and Dak started with.

You guys were right about Richard.

Need a complete overhaul of Coaching, Special Teams and Defense.

Back
Top Bottom