The Official Anime & Manga Thread Vol: 三

catching up on Black Clover manga. This current arc is trash...

They time skipped into this new arc with seemingly ultra powerful villians with no buildup or explanation of the characters. Its a mess in true shonen manga fashion. I use to look forward to BC releases but now it feels like a chore to read them. Very disappointing.

They time skipped into this new arc with seemingly ultra powerful villians with no buildup or explanation of the characters. Its a mess in true shonen manga fashion. I use to look forward to BC releases but now it feels like a chore to read them. Very disappointing.
No set up at all, just jumps straight into 20 different fights smh

Damn, you catching into me. I'm on 326. I kinda dont want it to end by catching all the way up so I am slowing down.

Last edited:
Damn, you catching into me. I'm on 326. I kinda dont want it to ens by catching so I am slowing down.
same. I made it to 318.
had to take a break by reading MHA, ONE piece (which lasted all 5 minutes lol )
Let me spoiler tag some stuff.
Do you think baek is making a time machine? im trying to hard not to look ahead to see whats going to happen.
also did you read the creators note right after the ragnarok war. He wasying he though season 5 was a failure.
I personally thing it was good. it's like no matter how outta control GOH gets it brings itself back to reality. I'll go on record saying this is GOAT level writing. it'd be up there with ODA if there was more world building.

same. I made it to 318.
had to take a break by reading MHA, ONE piece (which lasted all 5 minutes lol )
Let me spoiler tag some stuff.
Do you think baek is making a time machine? im trying to hard not to look ahead to see whats going to happen.
also did you read the creators note right after the ragnarok war. He wasying he though season 5 was a failure.
I personally thing it was good. it's like no matter how outta control GOH gets it brings itself back to reality. I'll go on record saying this is GOAT level writing. it'd be up there with ODA if there was more world building.
That would be cool if it was a time machine but that would be an easy fix for this story. Lori Jon could right all past wrongs even going back to when he was Son Goku and took his first L.

I didnt put a ton of thought in to it but I think Baek is building a gateway to the dimension of monsters and gods.

Yeah, I read the author's comments and thought he was crazy. He strikes me as the type that second guesses himself too much.

Also I assume he probably had a much bigger scope for that entire war arc and finale. I felt he handled it well. Loved that he kept going after the Jade emperor died and his son opened up the portal for the old gods to start the war.

Paced beautifully to me.

That would be cool if it was a time machine but that would be an easy fix for this story. Lori Jon could right all past wrongs even going back to when he was Son Goku and took his first L.

I didnt put a ton of thought in to it but I think Baek is building a gateway to the dimension of monsters and gods.

Yeah, I read the author's comments and thought he was crazy. He strikes me as the type that second guesses himself too much.

Also I assume he probably had a much bigger scope for that entire war arc and finale. I felt he handled it well. Loved that he kept going after the Jade emperor died and his son opened up the portal for the old gods to start the war.

Paced beautifully to me.
in my opinion. GOH. has the best pacing of any "shonen " I've ever read. getting to the point along with writing back story and history is a very tricky talent.
the fact that the author had multiple routes he wanted to choose and the one he chose was still magnificent.
i get the sense editor's made him keep things in he didnt want and he still maneuvered the way he did. very similar to oda

One Piece

Just re-read and realized it looks like Kiku already beat Kanjuro by the end of the chapter. At least I hope that's what it is and not her getting stabbed in the back dripping blood. Kiku in the full samurai armor looks dope too.

While I'm sure Orochi is alive thanks to his devil fruit, this definitely changes the arc dynamics. Kaido said they're going to get the ancient weapons, but do they know what the ancient weapons are or where? I wonder if Caribou already gave up the fact that Shirahoshi is an ancient weapon? Or will he comes do it now that he probably heard Kaido is looking for them.

I wonder if Oda is actually setting up for Yamato to join the crew or not. Especially since it's his dream to go out to sea and be free. Or will Yamato just be an ally down the road or something. It seems unlikely and he might just hang out with the crew a while or something.

So Wano I think now is the 2nd longest arc the series and honestly it makes Dressrosa worse. Idk if its the change in editors since then or if Oda learned from Dressrosa or what but it's refreshing seeing Oda handle a long arc so well. The scenes help, the break ups by going to events outside of wano help too, and he got to work with different settings within the island which probably helped. Oda's just handled this arc really well so far and it hasn't felt drawn out or anything. It's not fast paced which isn't Oda's style anyway, but there hasn't been any "running around" or super obvious delaying scenes/sections. Also he just got a 2nd editor apparently. I wonder if that's to help handle details for wano and the story going forward, if it's just training a new editor, or if it's something to do with Covid, since Oda's changed his schedule for Covid.

Also, I figured Haikyu was near the end, was not expecting that chapter to be the last one. Congrats to Furudate on a great series. I wonder if Furudate already has something planned for the next series. Need to start checking out some of these new Shonens since it's a whole new crop of series and authors. Feels like a ton of series have ended recently.

Last edited:
One Piece

Just re-read and realized it looks like Kiku already beat Kanjuro by the end of the chapter. At least I hope that's what it is and not her getting stabbed in the back dripping blood. Kiku in the full samurai armor looks dope too.

While I'm sure Orochi is alive thanks to his devil fruit, this definitely changes the arc dynamics. Kaido said they're going to get the ancient weapons, but do they know what the ancient weapons are or where? I wonder if Caribou already gave up the fact that Shirahoshi is an ancient weapon? Or will he comes do it now that he probably heard Kaido is looking for them.

I wonder if Oda is actually setting up for Yamato to join the crew or not. Especially since it's his dream to go out to sea and be free. Or will Yamato just be an ally down the road or something. It seems unlikely and he might just hang out with the crew a while or something.

So Wano I think now is the 2nd longest arc the series and honestly it makes Dressrosa worse. Idk if its the change in editors since then or if Oda learned from Dressrosa or what but it's refreshing seeing Oda handle a long arc so well. The scenes help, the break ups by going to events outside of wano help too, and he got to work with different settings within the island which probably helped. Oda's just handled this arc really well so far and it hasn't felt drawn out or anything. It's not fast paced which isn't Oda's style anyway, but there hasn't been any "running around" or super obvious delaying scenes/sections. Also he just got a 2nd editor apparently. I wonder if that's to help handle details for wano and the story going forward, if it's just training a new editor, or if it's something to do with Covid, since Oda's changed his schedule for Covid.
Im with you in hoping that Kiku finished off Kanjuro quickly and is not hurt, but do you think that he deserves such a quick death? He was a traitor after all and nearly cost them everything.

As for the weapons, we only know that Neptune is around. The Blueprints for Pluto were destroyed by Franky (although he might have memorized them) and we know nothing about Uranus. I do have a feeling that Wano might hold some information about Uranus, like its whereabouts or something similar.

I seems like all the signs are pointing to Yamato joining the crew, although I feel like it might be more like a tag along like Carrot, which I dont want. Speaking of new crew mates, what's Carrot gonna do after this? Is she gonna join as well? return back to Zou with cat and dog?

What part are we in the play now? We should be in part 4 if we go by the play structure:
1st act: slow opening and intro to characters and plot
2nd act: 1st battle (Kaido vs Luffy?)
3rd act: great tragedy (Oden flashback + Legendary Hour?)
4th act: Major battle (current)
5th act: swift and satisfying conclusion

Like you said before, I love how this arc has been handled. I cant wait to see how it wraps up. Hopefully there's gonna be a spread of Kaido being cut down by Luffy and Zoro and another of the Scabbards cutting all the heads off of Orochi at once. Anything less would not be satisfying to me. :pimp:

Im with you in hoping that Kiku finished off Kanjuro quickly and is not hurt, but do you think that he deserves such a quick death? He was a traitor after all and nearly cost them everything.

As for the weapons, we only know that Neptune is around. The Blueprints for Pluto were destroyed by Franky (although he might have memorized them) and we know nothing about Uranus. I do have a feeling that Wano might hold some information about Uranus, like its whereabouts or something similar.

I seems like all the signs are pointing to Yamato joining the crew, although I feel like it might be more like a tag along like Carrot, which I dont want. Speaking of new crew mates, what's Carrot gonna do after this? Is she gonna join as well? return back to Zou with cat and dog?

What part are we in the play now? We should be in part 4 if we go by the play structure:
1st act: slow opening and intro to characters and plot
2nd act: 1st battle (Kaido vs Luffy?)
3rd act: great tragedy (Oden flashback + Legendary Hour?)
4th act: Major battle (current)
5th act: swift and satisfying conclusion

Like you said before, I love how this arc has been handled. I cant wait to see how it wraps up. Hopefully there's gonna be a spread of Kaido being cut down by Luffy and Zoro and another of the Scabbards cutting all the heads off of Orochi at once. Anything less would not be satisfying to me. :pimp:

I think we're still officially in the 3rd act, which started with Oden's flashback. I don't think we've had the 4th act curtain close and open yet. The question is will the 3rd act be this "battle" ending in a major defeat, Kaido leaving onigashima to the Flower Capital and the straw hats and co fighting them there for real battle?

If that's what Oda decides to do, then it could be Kiku losing we saw at the end of the chapter which I feel would be disappointing. She was crying, but idk if that was having to kill a former comrade in Kanjuro or if it's because she "lost" or something like that. Granted I don't expect Kanjuro or Orochi to get quick deaths, so what will be interesting is if Kiku did take care of Kanjuro so quickly and it sets up him and Orochi and his faction regrouping and becoming a factor again in act 4.

As for the ancient weapons, Caribou will most likely give up Shirahoshi being Poseidon, there's the already created version of Pluton that Crocodile was looking for right? The blueprints were there in case another one needed to be built to counter it or another weapon, right? Then yeah Uranus is still unknown. I imagine there's also something that causes the break up of Big Mom and Kaido at either the end of act 3 or into act 4 so she can be a factor in Elbaf. Maybe Big Mom knows Uranus is in Elbaf, but since she's at odd with the giants can't get it, but feels with Kaido's help she can raid Elbaf and get it?

All of or most of the Minks are in Wano so Carrot could just return with them having seen a couple islands and cultures. She could get back on the ship as well. The options are open. Maybe Yamato will make his own crew and be a fleet member if he doesn't officially join. I'm hesitant to say he'll join since he was just introduced and it's really late to introduce a new character that will join. At least Jinbe has been known for 500 chapters.

There's still so much to cover regarding Zoro's Wano connection beyond his village being founded by someone from Wano, i think from Ryuma's family, making a black blade, whatever Hawkins and Drake are planning to do, etc. Oda's definitely gonna have some great spreads once the battle starts. I wonder if we'll see a Ryuma comparison for Zoro of him slicing Kaido above the flower capital while Kaido is in Dragon form. But yeah definitely need that red scabbard chopping off Orochi's heads spread.

Cool stuff

It's amazing how artists go from what looks like scribbles to fully formed detailed drawings. Blows me away every time.

It's interesting that he does the digital version as a test then goes back and does it on paper for the magazine. Jump also said they had changed his release schedule again for Covid cause he's the last artist still doing the magazine each week on pen and paper, so since the editors have to go to his place to get the physical copies they had to take more precautions. For a while it was assumed he just didn't have time to change to digital or learn digital drawing, but he obviously does. I'd be interested to hear why he prefers not to do the final product digitally.

Maybe working with physical media makes it feel more personal for him? Like whenever i have to take notes on something, I prefer a pen and a pad over a tablet or laptop. When I read a book, I prefer the physical thing in my hands over a digital version, etc...
Idk, I can only speak for myself about this, but I feel like its within the same vein.

Maybe working with physical media makes it feel more personal for him? Like whenever i have to take notes on something, I prefer a pen and a pad over a tablet or laptop. When I read a book, I prefer the physical thing in my hands over a digital version, etc...
Idk, I can only speak for myself about this, but I feel like its within the same vein.

Could definitely see that being the case. Also level of control, detail, comfort. But yeah he's probably willing to sacrifice the efficiency for the personal connection, especially with how personal the story is to him.

I'm the same way with notes and reading. Mainly it helps me retain the info better and keeps me more engaged.

I'm almost thinking Luffy will say no to yamato joining and she will just join either Law, if he doesn't die. or Kidds crew. maybe she has the cure for smile to cure Killer

Back
Top Bottom