*****The Official "Anything About Money" Thread***

cosign... jim kramer seems like he's too much hype... i been on the squawk box early in the AM for the past 8 years, and do research behind the claims, and haven't proven them wrong yet...

thats how I got up on Raytheon, once september 11th hit, everytime a bomb hit afghanistan that stock shot up a point, no lie.

i miss the dot-com craze, as soon as krispy kreme hit the market, it seemed like it was all a wrap...
please help a young black man rise up and overcome by bidding on my ebay auctions... ID: MRDONTPLAY1

deceptive5 or martin and co. can you help me out with a money issue i gots. so i have some severance pay from a jog i just got layed off from. its $15,000 now i want to know what is the best thing to do with this money for the next year starting right now? i know anything over $9,999 will bring up red lights to the irs, but is there some type of investment or cd or ira i can invest into that will give me a good return? at least like $5,000 +? I can survive for a few months until i get a new job, but this money is just extra sitting around cash. i dont wanna buy a car or anything, i just want to make sure i get more then $900 from a normal savings account. can you help me out wiht something low risk and good?

My sig has something 0 risk with just about the most you can get unless you dabble in extremely risky junk bonds....
I like you. You remind me of myself when I was young and stupid.
Want a guaranteed 20% on your money? PM me -1k minimum-
Money is like a second language to me​

^step ur reading game up. I am well aware of his net worth. His book sales alone would make him wealthy.
TEAM FINANCE​
No one ever got rich working​

I bought a stock he recommended, NSTK, lost money.But I still read his books and watch his show to get ideas and stuff.

One stock he recommended not long ago, Foster Wheeler, it just skyrocketed after he recommended it.
TEAMYANKEES

Honestly the best way to pick a stock is to REALLY know the company, simple as that.

I know how good a business JCREW was before it went public, I bought their clothes etc, low and behold they go public and I see nearly 100% return....

^I didn't see Mastercard move at all till about 3 months after its ipo, it all varies.
TEAM FINANCE​
No one ever got rich working​

Quote:
LazyJ10
:lol:
laugh.gif
:wink:
wink.gif

Anyone here use investools?

I keep seeing the commercials but the reviews are very mixed.

Also what brokerages do you guys use/recommend (online)?

Heres my experience;

Personally I like TD Ameritrade, I like the flat fee and its great no matter how much money you have and no maintenace fees.

I recently opened an account with JPMorgan @ my local Chase Branch. I was told a flat fee of $22 a trade, I was fine with that until i got a letter in the mail stating that commission fees were minimum $26 I think including a percentage of the principal according to the amount being invested.

Then there's sharebuilder which I used when i first started last summer, its great if you're just a very casual investor,
they really don't offer much for their $15.95 real time trades. And the $4 trades they entice you w/ are scheduled trades which can only happen on monday or tuesday I don't remember exactly.

I've also looked into E-Trade but they only seem to be for people with over 25k to invest and who trade frequently.

Quote:
How long do you hold onto your stocks?

Most of the value gained from an IPO will be in the first 90 days (on avg). Do you buy in right away or do you wait, etc.?
ing out so I wanted something cheap and volatile and somewhat conservative, so it was perfect for me. It was a health sector IPO I bought @ 8.65 in July.
I also liked the products the comapny made and Americas weight problem and aging baby boomers was definitely going to help this stock.

In September the stock jumped after signing some deals with GE putting it @ $11-13. I definitely felt like selling then being the noob I was. But there was nothing I felt like putting my money into w/ the cash out so I held and sold @ 19 in November so I could resell some Wii's PS3's and Elmos.

Had I held it though til some earnings came out, I could have easily sold @ $22 in 07'.

Now what I had put in was chump change and like Martin and Co said, just add 0's to the end and its the same exact thing.

Its these kind of things thta help the rich just get richer.

Although most day trading firms go out of business in the first 6 months, if you've got the skills traders are paid 10 mill a year at GS or MS to use, you can make a killing.....

Buy a share at 9.50 sell at 10.00 (including the little margin the NYSE makes) do that with 1k shares and you've made 500 bucks....

do something similar with another stock that 1K in one day equaling $365,000/year not bad huh?

its harder that it sounds though

Thanks, my intial questions were for my parents purpose.

Their financial planner (who does a good job) got them Metro PCS (whatever is allocated to Banc of America Securities) for around $30. So I was looking at that as my example.

They're not looking to get rich at all, but I plan on following it just for fun.

Both my parents are retired, so their risk is LOW to none.

Mine is however, much much higher.

I do agree with you guys as for the element of earnings reports. I also believe that speculation alone will move the price a few percentage points, etc. I just enjoy hearing what other people use as their own strategy. I believe when Krispy Kreme hit I was still in college so we talked about it in a few of my classes. What I remember was, they couldn't have had worse timing if they tried. Between them popping up faster than Walgreens and all over, America was trying to become more health concious (for America, at least). So many factors played into that one that its used as a case study.

Thanks for the dialog guys.
ICE Blue X's on ebay RIGHT now!

Yo deceptive does the pending earning mean that u will get that money sooner or later or is it that u might not get it.

What do you guys think about laundromats and car washes?

All the car washes in my area have around a 10-30 minute wait on weekends consistently throughout the day and an even longer wait the days after snowstorms are cleared so it seems like a great business. I'm looking at some for sale on Craigslist buy they want like 1-2.9 mil.

Definitely not going to happen for me @ 19.

So right now Im looking @ some laundromats for sale making 35-50k profit a year. And a laundromat runs itself for the most part besides the maintenance.

Thanks for any advice you may have on the matter.

laundromat>car washes

I'm a partner in a Dry cleaning chain on the mail line (Philly suburbs) and its my BIGGEST money maker.

Martin and Co, the laundromat for sale I'm looking at has unused space for dry cleaning on the side.

So am I better off buying the equipment to do all the cleaning myself and paying somebody hourly or contracting it out to a large volume cleaning co.?

Do you have any idea as far as costs of equipment for dry cleaning vs. price per garment w/ a contracted co.?

Thanks.

Also I'm looking at the numbers for the car washes for sale in my area and they all claim to be making 240-350k net profit yearly.

The numbers look too enticing, so once you recoup the initial investment its straight relaxing, I'm definitely going to look into it in the years to come.

tupac003

I would have to say a regular IRA, simply because the effect of those extra pre-tax dollars, receiving compounded gains in whatever financial instrument you invest in, and then taking a hit in taxes when you are retired, and in a lower tax bracket, far outweigh the Roth's benefits of taking a tax hit now.

gd87

For the average person who does not have the time, or does not want to take the time to research companies ETF's are the way to go. You still must to research to decide which ETF's to purchase, but the broader exposure will result in much lower volatility.

oO0BigJarv0Oo

The man Cramer can lead to discussion for weeks, but the man was successful. No his fund wasn't a 10bil fund, but he outperformed most during his tenior. Simple. However, there is what is known as "The Cramer Effect" in the investing world, and it speaks to exactly what you are talking about, stocks that jump just because he mentions them. But these jumps are 1-2% maybe 3%, sometimes, and sometimes nothing. And sometimes they fall. So yes many people do listen to him and invest accordingly, but to say that his comments strictly drive-up prices would not be completely correct. That being said, I believe he gives people great incite to alot of the market behaviors that otherwise most people would not know about. If anything, if you like what Cramer is saying, that gives you an idea of what sector, company etc. to look into further.

GENOCIDE AND JUICE

That 5k you tryin to come up is a 33% return. The risk associated with investments that you would need to make in order to even have a chance of getting a annualized 33% return is not something I would reccomend. With a stock with a large variance that would be necessary for that type of return you need to be willing to lose 50%, and not panick. If anything get in a short-@#%$ term CD yielding 5% or so until you decide what you want to do. Then think about the risk you are really willing to take and then we'll talk.

jesusinjordans

I am a fan of Scottrade only because of their simple, low cost structure. If I had to choose another brokerage I would definately go with TD because of the large access to research that you gain when you open an account with them. Scottrade has research from s&P, Reuters, and Dow Jones, but TD has many other, and better outlets. If you plan on doing your research elsewhere, or research is not a big deal to you, Scottrade is where its at.
Dog my projects got taste, although the rent aint nuttin but two fitty,
we sportin five thousand dollar drapes
No matter where he is next year, Amare Stoudemire is guaranteed to make the All-Interview team. When asked about his jumper after the Micky D's game, he responded: "My jumper has improved since the summer, bro, but I haven't even worked on my jumper."

I have about 2k right now, and I want to keep adding to that and basically saving up money and get it back in ~5 years. What are my options?
TEAM INSOMNIAC Member #1
"GetmyHype"
~Best Jordan Ever: XIV Especially the black/white
"I can't let this chance pass me by. Like Michael Jordan, rookie year, I believe I can fly." -Keak Da Sneak

so I want to start putting money from each paycheck in to some kind of retirement account what would you guys for a 20 year old college student. Preferably something that doesn't require too high of a initial deposit

rip
komson

Back
Top Bottom