**..:The Official Jewelry Thread Vol. 11: You get a Jesus piece! You get a Jesus piece! Everybody gets a Jesus piece:..**

Rolex watches hold their value better cuz of their branding, but if we're talking pure material costs? I'll take a gold GT Bentley breitling over most Rolex joints. da sizes are that imposing and impressive.

Yeah from a pure material cost I gotta agree. Breitlings a lil too gaudy for my taste but I can't hate on em at all.

I remember when everyone was copping em a few years back and they were the "wave" at the time.

I mean Breitling watches are also Swiss automatic movements, and have da same historical heritage, for me it really boils down to:

this lump of 18k branded gold is bigger than this other lump of 18k branded gold.

say what ya want about Breitling, that they're gaudy, etc. their wave FORCED Rolex to make bigger watches.

Nothing says "I have no taste" like a Breitling :smh:

Truth.

I'd take a stainless AP or Patek over a solid gold Breitling.

absolutely not.

if da watch isn't made outta precious metal, then what are we really doing?

IMO, I don't value something just based exclusively on exclusivity....

people do this with cars all da time..over pay for branding, and not actually be better than something that's less prestigious but a waaaaaay better performance/luxurious package.

Ninja what good is the breitling having more gold than a rolex daydate if it doesnt retain value as well though?

Ninja what good is the breitling having more gold than a rolex daydate if it doesnt retain value as well though?

because you have material value, and you have intrinsic value.

if u scrapped down a Rolex & and Breitling, da breitling would have higher melt value, but Rolex da brand is perceived more valuable than Breitling, so part of paying for Rolex is paying for that prestigious Rolex pedigree.

think of it like paying more for a Cadillac Escalade than a Chevy Suburban.

Who made those chains?

sick.gif
.. and not in a good way 

you said it much more articulately, but yea my exact question  

i was also assuming in my scenario the diamonds were all same clarity, color, cut. so basically everything is constant besides the size thus a difference in ctw 

i want an answer to this too...maybe multiple cuts would need to be compared, if certain cuts have strict proportional/dimensional requirements...

But i know refraction is central to this and probably throws a wrench in it and makes it complicated

diamonds are cut to emphasize priority of carat size over refraction performance.

Truth.

This. Ap or patek> breitling all day

absolutely not.

people do this with cars all da time..over pay for branding, and not actually be better than something that's less prestigious but a waaaaaay better performance/luxurious package.

Bra you lost me with this statement. You really said breitling has better performance then either of the other 2? Let's keep watches out of this man your on point with a lot of other stuff but leave the watches alone. You out of your depth with this statement. You not buying a watch solely for the metal used. Nobody out here melting watches down for the metal smh

Truth.

This. Ap or patek> breitling all day

absolutely not.

Bra you lost me with this statement. You really said breitling has better performance then either of the other 2?

I don't care bout no damn piece of exclusive watch, if it's not precious metal...

watches are already anachronistic, if they ain't gold or platinum first, then I'm good.

I don't care bout no damn piece of exclusive watch, if it's not precious metal...

watches are already anachronistic, if they ain't gold or platinum first, then I'm good.

Preeach

Its like 1978 quartz takeover never happened--poorly functioning esoterically engineered remnants of a mechanical past somehow became "luxury" in da 90's and now, driven by a one and done cycle of mostly asian spending, we find outselves at the peak of a swiss watch bubble

You really think stainless steel subs will retain 7k value or whatever theyre being sold for the past few years?

Plus you need to service watches...constant liability

alllllllll of this.

when you make peace with da fact that mechanical time keeping wrist watches are obsolete beyond belief, and are used primarily as a glorified bracelet, then your priorities for da practical Reality for em is da emphasis on da use of precious metals & stones.

I would never pay anymore than $1,000 for a watch that does not have precious metal.

That's actually why I have considered getting one of those bracelets styled after the Rolex Day Date bracelet

Last edited:
Aside from precious metals or stones, a good time piece was first and foremost all about it's mechanics and inner workings. Idc how "obsolete" they get, I'll always appreciate a quality watch regardless of its material composition.

Aside from precious metals or stones, a good time piece was first and foremost all about it's mechanics and inner workings. Idc how "obsolete" they get, I'll always appreciate a quality watch regardless of its material composition.

Mechanics? But it still does the same thing, tell time?

This isn't like a Ferrari that goes 200 mph vs a Ford Mustang.

Last edited:

Its not? So a Tag & an IWC that do the same thing aren't separated by the way they work?

Its not? So a Tag & an IWC that do the same thing aren't separated by the way they work?

Nah, they both tell time.

all good, in 2017 though if you're pitting one against da other, I'm picking precious metals over time keeping ability 9/10.

there's no way I'm picking a stainless steel anything over a solid gold alternative.

u can get a small face 18k gold Rolex used now for 6-8K...

Not a daydate though

all good, in 2017 though if you're pitting one against da other, I'm picking precious metals over time keeping ability 9/10.

there's no way I'm picking a stainless steel anything over a solid gold alternative.

u can get a small face 18k gold Rolex used now for 6-8K...

Back
Top Bottom