***The Official Legalization of Cannabis Thread***

pimp.gif

NAACP Study: Whites Smoke More Pot, but Blacks and Latinos Are Arrested More
By David Knowles, AOL News - Monday, October 25 2010

California African-Americans and Latinos were up to 12 times more likely to be arrested for marijuana possession than whites from 2006 to 2008.

Is it a smoke screen, or proof of the need for change?

As California prepares to vote on Proposition 19, which would legalize recreational use of marijuana for people 18 and older, a new study by the NAACP finds that the state's African-American and Latino residents are far more likely to be arrested for low-level pot possession, even though whites, according to government statistics, use the drug in greater numbers.

"Since 1990, arrests for nearly every serious crime have declined in California," the report says. "Yet arrests for possession of marijuana, usually for very small amounts, have tripled. In 2009 alone, police departments in California made 61,000 marijuana possession arrests. The people arrested were disproportionately African-Americans and Latinos, and overwhelmingly young people, especially young men."

The report found that from 2006 to 2008, California African-Americans and Latinos were up to 12 times more likely to be arrested for marijuana possession than whites. In Los Angeles County, for instance, where blacks account for only 10 percent of the population, they accounted for 30 percent of those arrested for pot possession.

And statistics compiled from 2004 through 2007 by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services show that for both children and adults, whites report using marijuana at higher levels than either African-Americans or Hispanics.

Perhaps not surprisingly, given their findings, the California chapter of the NAACP supports the passage of Proposition 19. But a new law signed by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has already lessened the penalty for possession of marijuana, making it a mere infraction rather than a misdemeanor.

Meanwhile, the latest polls show support for Proposition 19 weakening somewhat, with Latino support having eroded slightly since September.

NAACP Study: Whites Smoke More Pot, but Blacks and Latinos Are Arrested More
By David Knowles, AOL News - Monday, October 25 2010

California African-Americans and Latinos were up to 12 times more likely to be arrested for marijuana possession than whites from 2006 to 2008.

Is it a smoke screen, or proof of the need for change?

As California prepares to vote on Proposition 19, which would legalize recreational use of marijuana for people 18 and older, a new study by the NAACP finds that the state's African-American and Latino residents are far more likely to be arrested for low-level pot possession, even though whites, according to government statistics, use the drug in greater numbers.

"Since 1990, arrests for nearly every serious crime have declined in California," the report says. "Yet arrests for possession of marijuana, usually for very small amounts, have tripled. In 2009 alone, police departments in California made 61,000 marijuana possession arrests. The people arrested were disproportionately African-Americans and Latinos, and overwhelmingly young people, especially young men."

The report found that from 2006 to 2008, California African-Americans and Latinos were up to 12 times more likely to be arrested for marijuana possession than whites. In Los Angeles County, for instance, where blacks account for only 10 percent of the population, they accounted for 30 percent of those arrested for pot possession.

And statistics compiled from 2004 through 2007 by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services show that for both children and adults, whites report using marijuana at higher levels than either African-Americans or Hispanics.

Perhaps not surprisingly, given their findings, the California chapter of the NAACP supports the passage of Proposition 19. But a new law signed by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has already lessened the penalty for possession of marijuana, making it a mere infraction rather than a misdemeanor.

Meanwhile, the latest polls show support for Proposition 19 weakening somewhat, with Latino support having eroded slightly since September.

hemp, if industrialized would not be that bad right ? since you can not patent a plant ?

hemp, if industrialized would not be that bad right ? since you can not patent a plant ?

please do not pass this misguided, poorly-written abomination of a proposition
30t6p3b.gif

please do not pass this misguided, poorly-written abomination of a proposition
30t6p3b.gif

what about for the rest of us that actually have jobs but if we take a drug test and fail, we lose our jobs. If you have a medical marijuana card, your employer is not required to respect it if you fail a test. if the prop is passed, legalization of recreational use would bypass this for us that want to smoke but not worry about losing our jobs.

what about for the rest of us that actually have jobs but if we take a drug test and fail, we lose our jobs. If you have a medical marijuana card, your employer is not required to respect it if you fail a test. if the prop is passed, legalization of recreational use would bypass this for us that want to smoke but not worry about losing our jobs.

Originally Posted by apowell11

this. and a lot of other points promote the passing of prop 19. Just the fact that its legal will be a huge stepping stone to further liberalization. 
I cant believe some cannabis users are actually against this bill 
30t6p3b.gif

this. and a lot of other points promote the passing of prop 19. Just the fact that its legal will be a huge stepping stone to further liberalization. 
30t6p3b.gif

* In Pasadena, blacks are 11% of the population but 49% of the people arrested for marijuana possession. Pasadena arrested blacks at twelve and a half times the rate of whites.

Wow.  Are there other reasons besides racial bias for such a huge discrepancy in Pasadena?  Cali NTers chime in?

its because the cops are the most crooked cops ever. but also cause bloods got the hood on lock.
once pulled over me and my boy in the range askin us where's the coke at. then tried to hem us up for the weed we had, but we both had cards and no smoking devices so they had no choice but to hand it back.
but i know litterally 1000s of cats in the hood who have been arrested for a gram or less

* In Pasadena, blacks are 11% of the population but 49% of the people arrested for marijuana possession. Pasadena arrested blacks at twelve and a half times the rate of whites.

Wow.  Are there other reasons besides racial bias for such a huge discrepancy in Pasadena?  Cali NTers chime in?

its because the cops are the most crooked cops ever. but also cause bloods got the hood on lock.
once pulled over me and my boy in the range askin us where's the coke at. then tried to hem us up for the weed we had, but we both had cards and no smoking devices so they had no choice but to hand it back.
but i know litterally 1000s of cats in the hood who have been arrested for a gram or less

Originally Posted by TeamJordan79

30t6p3b.gif

Sike. you're employer would still have the right to fire you if you come in smelling dank and all red-eye. 
laugh.gif

30t6p3b.gif

Sike. you're employer would still have the right to fire you if you come in smelling dank and all red-eye. 
laugh.gif

Im n the bay and i pot clip about 4 to 5 times a month for illegal growers... its an extra 1,800-2,000 a month untaxed... Regardless of how beneficial it Is for me to vote to keep it illegal, i think it would just be selfish... If this gets our state out if debt and re allocates our limited resources towards more important things i am all for it

Im n the bay and i pot clip about 4 to 5 times a month for illegal growers... its an extra 1,800-2,000 a month untaxed... Regardless of how beneficial it Is for me to vote to keep it illegal, i think it would just be selfish... If this gets our state out if debt and re allocates our limited resources towards more important things i am all for it

Originally Posted by akaValentino

30t6p3b.gif

laugh.gif
you'll get fired quick if you come to work drunk. Whats your point? 

Originally Posted by akaValentino

30t6p3b.gif

laugh.gif
you'll get fired quick if you come to work drunk. Whats your point? 

Back
Top Bottom