The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

Originally Posted by kix2mny

what is the difference between intel core i5 vs i7?

Say i would be primarily using this for adobe illustrator, photoshop, and hooking it up to a monome device. I dont any video editing and no gaming.... would i greatly benefit from upgrading to the i7? Could i even pull off sticking with the upgraded 13" and still be comfortable?

Reason I ask ... I want to use it for the adobe suite and cinema 4d. Which one would be better for me.

Originally Posted by kix2mny

Reason I ask ... I want to use it for the adobe suite and cinema 4d. Which one would be better for me.
I use adobe suite on my late 2009 macbook with 2.4 GHz Intel 2 Duo with 4GB of Ram and it runs fine. There is a difference in performance, but I'm sure you will be fine with the i5.

FINALLY. I've been wiating on the 13 inch for a bit now,. but hurray, they did pretty big things with it, I mean that videocard is insane. And 10 hours battery life, cant wait.

[h4]MacBook Pro Core i7 unboxing and preview[/h4]
By Joshua Topolsky posted Apr 13th 2010 10:23AM

Unboxing

Preview

post_icon_photo.gif

So we've just gotten our cold, live hands on the new MacBook Pro -- you know, the one with the Core i7 CPU? We're obviously going to be taking this puppy for a spin around the block (a 15-inch version with a 2.66GHz CPU), but we wanted to show you what it looks like (exactly the same as always), and mention a few takeaways from our conversation with Apple about the product. As you already know, the 15- and 17-inch models have a new GPU configuration, utilizing Intel's integrated HD graphics alongside NVIDIA's GeForce GT 330M. What you might not know is that the new laptops have done away with the previous method of switching from integrated to discrete graphics, that is, forcing you to select one or the other and then logging you out and back in for the switch. This process is hugely streamlined in the new versions, providing switching on the fly from integrated to discrete, and requiring zero input from the user (similar to NVIDIA's Optimus). The switches take place on an app-by-app basis judged on what kind of resources that particular application you're opening requires -- so this should be interesting to see when it comes to third-party titles. Apple is also only providing two options here; keep the automatic GPU switching on, or switch to only discrete graphics. So if you're planning on running these babies just in integrated mode, you're out of luck.

Other additions to the laptops include "inertial scrolling" (a la iPhone), which feels like a software change to us, but is apparently related to new trackpads on these models, and new configuration options when buying, such as getting yourself a 1680 x 1050 high res display (yes, please) or opting for a 512GB SSD (clocking in, weirdly, at $1,400 for the 2.4GHz models, but $1,300 for the 2.53GHz and 2.66GHz versions). Speaking of money, you may have noticed that Apple bumped the cost of the base 15-inch MacBook Pro from $1,699 to $1,799 -- not a welcome change in today's bummer of an economy, though they've brought down the entry to the 17-inch to $2,299. At any rate, you can check out some snaps of the new system below, and hang tight for a full review coming soon.

from engadget

FML!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bought a 13" MacBook Pro last night off of ebay only to find out today that new upgraded macs came out.

WHAT IS APPLE's RETURN POLICY??? Item is still SEALED in the box. Do they do non-receipt exchanges???

Originally Posted by abernja

FML!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bought a 13" MacBook Pro last night off of ebay only to find out today that new upgraded macs came out.

WHAT IS APPLE's RETURN POLICY??? Item is still SEALED in the box. Do they do non-receipt exchanges???

14 days from purchase

Yo! I need some more memory for my internal hard drive. It was 150gb, but now it's about 80/85gb because of all my music
smh.gif
Anybody have any advice on where to get some more memory?

Originally Posted by LilTunechi85

Yo! I need some more memory for my internal hard drive. It was 150gb, but now it's about 80/85gb because of all my music
smh.gif
Anybody have any advice on where to get some more memory?

A new hard drive or memory?

Originally Posted by JordanHead2

Originally Posted by vcof2005

Probably gonna pick up the 13" during the student discount thing
pimp.gif

When is this? I need a new laptop ASAP.
usually around June
Is it cheaper than the educational discount right now? ($100 less)

pimp.gif

usually around June
Honestly, I'm the wrong person to ask. I'm really just waiting til June to follow up on the free iPod
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

pimp.gif

usually around June

i think its usually around 100 bucks, but right before the the fall semester is when they have the best deals (ie free ipods, accessories, and monetary discounts)
Luckily i got my macbook pro for the low low.., best decision I ever made...

Back
Top Bottom