The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

bought a 2015 mbp open box from best buy, got a 10% discount (I think this is standard but idk)...loving it!, I gave my gf the space grey macbook, I did nottt like it at all for me

What didn't you like about it?

It was small, I'm a bigger guy (no ayo) but I did realize how silly I looked with this tiny macbook :lol:

But seriously, just ONE port for charging/usb, not to mention it's a USB-C drive, which will be normal in the near future, but for now, everything has to go through an adpater.

I like the "fuller" feel of the mbp, plus the insides are accesible, to where I can upgrade any hardware as necessary.

The Space Grey Macbook isnt bad, for an entry level (checking email, facebook) etc laptop...which is what my gf does a lot. I got 2 usb ports, hdmi port, sd card port, 2 firewire ports and a seperate charger port, which I find useful.

I do moderate music editing/video editing for people recreationally, and I feel more..."productive"? "Thorough"? Using the mbp.

Plus (for the beasts) I missed that light-up apple on the back of the laptop :smokin

Thanks! Makes me want the new Mac more now cause I really don't do much anyway. Besides hw and browsing NT, I only need it the most for shoe releases. I don't do editing and such, and I love the portability of it.

Why not get an air? Lol

And isnt the macbook only 200 less than the 13in pro?

The pro is a no brainer imo

I'm not too tech savy but something about having the last model of technology always satisfies me LOL. I also did want to wait for second generation.

I'm fine with my MBP 13in mid 2012 besides the portability but I think I'm just going to take the cheaper alternative and max out the ram and upgrade to a SSD.

I'm not too tech savy but something about having the last model of technology always satisfies me LOL. I also did want to wait for second generation.

I'm fine with my MBP 13in mid 2012 besides the portability but I think I'm just going to take the cheaper alternative and max out the ram and upgrade to a SSD.

That macbook is a waste of money imo, too underpowered to be 1k and you better off saving 300 bucks and getting a pro that will last. A 2012 mac should still be running strong. And imo buying Mac refurbs are the best deal

You're better off getting an Air instead the new Macbook for what you want to do. If your girl is just checking emails and web browsing, she's better off with an iPad (if staying with Apple products)

:lol: Any alternatives you'd recommend?

I just use the regular Apple Mail to be honest. it works for me.
That's what I'm using now with an Exchange account and it only pulls new emails every 10 minutes. Borderline unacceptable :smh:. I get 100-200 emails a day at work, many of them time sensitive so I find myself answering them on my phone before they even come through my laptop.

You won't be sorry. I went to 8gb RAM and then this past winter I moved to 16gb of RAM and grabbed one of those 250gb SSD that were on sale during the holidays and it has been great. 
nthat.gif

I really have need to upgrade for the time being now. 
That macbook is a waste of money imo, too underpowered to be 1k and you better off saving 300 bucks and getting a pro that will last. A 2012 mac should still be running strong. And imo buying Mac refurbs are the best deal
This

...or catch the BF deals on the model that just ended and get that one. I got my MBP 13" core i5, 4gb RAM, and 500gb HDD like 3 years ago for like $900 or so.

For Christmas my cousin got one of those MacBooks. The lecture I gave when I found out that she paid to have them upgrade the SSD and the RAM in that thing directly from Apple 
sick.gif
. Ended up being like a $600 just to go to 8gb RAM and the HDD from them. 
mean.gif

Damn near $1500-1600 after those upgrades...should have just gotten a MBP/MBA and called it. 

I can upgrade the ssd on my early 15 MBA right?

which ssd do you guys recommend? right now I have the 128gb ssd with 8gb of ram. Didn't think I'd need a lot of storage since I have an external but why not upgrade if I can.

which ssd do you guys recommend? right now I have the 128gb ssd with 8gb of ram. Didn't think I'd need a lot of storage since I have an external but why not upgrade if I can.
If you have the 128gb now, I would at least go for a 512gb SSD if you can swing it. If not, the 240/250gb sized one will work for you too. If you can see your space filling up quickly or over time though, go for a larger one. Also, larger SSDs perform better (faster read/write seeds) than smaller ones, so that was another reason I opted for one at the 512 size for you as well. 

If you have the 128gb now, I would at least go for a 512gb SSD if you can swing it. If not, the 240/250gb sized one will work for you too. If you can see your space filling up quickly or over time though, go for a larger one. Also, larger SSDs perform better (faster read/write seeds) than smaller ones, so that was another reason I opted for one at the 512 size for you as well. 

thanks breh. repped

Anyone using a maxed out Macbook Air? 

I'm looking to purchase my first Macbook. My budget is $2,500 max. I'm leaning towards the Air for portability, it will be ONLY used for personal stuff ie web, email, nt, maybe a bot, iphone, family pics and videos (minimal stuff). Work is providing me with a portable workstation and since i use solidworks 90% of the time i can't ask for a mac. I will probably wait till after the Apple event in March to make a decision. 

A 13 inch macbook pro is probable to
I just priced out a 13" MBP with upgraded processor, memory + apple care total with tax $2,671.32

13" MBA with upgraded processor, memory, hd + apple care total with tax $2,180.82

a difference of $490.50. Price wise the MBP is out of my of budget.  

A 13 inch macbook pro is probable to

I just priced out a 13" MBP with upgraded processor, memory + apple care total with tax $2,671.32
13" MBA with upgraded processor, memory, hd + apple care total with tax $2,180.82
a difference of $490.50. Price wise the MBP is out of my of budget.  
Why do you need all those upgrade grades if you are just surfing the web.

Everything doesn't need to be maxed out and apple care if not that good.

Reason why I consider the upgrades is because to my understanding these new MacBooks parts are soldered and can not be upgraded. My budget allows for it too.

Even though surfing the web was first on my list it's not the main thing I will be doing. My son video, pictures, followed by my small business are primary. My current laptop is used for work, family and my small business. I'm just finding it cumbersome to use now.

What is not good about apple care? I've only used it for ipad an iPhones and have found it to be great.

Reason why I consider the upgrades is because to my understanding these new MacBooks parts are soldered and can not be upgraded. My budget allows for it too.

Even though surfing the web was first on my list it's not the main thing I will be doing. My son video, pictures, followed by my small business are primary. My current laptop is used for work, family and my small business. I'm just finding it cumbersome to use now.

What is not good about apple care? I've only used it for ipad an iPhones and have found it to be great.

Make the stretch (if possible) and go mbp.

Your entry level or one after that in the MBP could do what you need. i7 doesn't always mean better. But if your company is paying for all this then all mean get close to the budget in the MBP.

The air is just a waste at this point.

Apple care doesn't cover as much as it says. You could do alot of the work yourself but if your company is paying for it why not.

Back
Top Bottom