The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

Need a suggestion. I'm going to sell my MacBook Pro mid 2012 that I bought last year. Trade in value is only like 225. I'm going to get one of the newer macs, cause j really don't do much. Now is there a better place I can sell it, all i really want is like 3-400. I sent it to Apple so there going to put new hardrive all that other stuff. And then just use that money to buy a new Mac or Air but most probably the new Mac.

Need a suggestion. I'm going to sell my MacBook Pro mid 2012 that I bought last year. Trade in value is only like 225. I'm going to get one of the newer macs, cause j really don't do much. Now is there a better place I can sell it, all i really want is like 3-400. I sent it to Apple so there going to put new hardrive all that other stuff. And then just use that money to buy a new Mac or Air but most probably the new Mac.

Why buy another when you have a perfectly good one?

How much you paying Apple to install that stuff for you? Most lilely could've done it yourself for the cost of the parts. Would've increased your profit margin :\.

Picked up an MBP yesterday for a slick price. Bought one back in April and ended up returning it as I just didn't think I'd use it. Hopefully I keep it this time around. Definitely expecting a good 3-4 years out of it as that's about how long I've had my Lenovo (i7 8gb ram). Just installed an ssd in the Lenovo a couple months ago and it's been pretty good, but the overall quality is terrible. MBP gonna be the new workhorse.

Edit: might try to find a 2015 or older Air for cheap before they get upgraded/phased out next year.

Last edited:
So I went to the Apple Store today, and I'm deciding on the new regular Mac. It basically does everything I need too. Really helpful rep. Broke down everything for me. It was between that and the air because I'm not doing anything to complicated for a Pro. Besides student discount any other way I can get it cheaper. Hopefully my letter works.

So I went to the Apple Store today, and I'm deciding on the new regular Mac. It basically does everything I need too. Really helpful rep. Broke down everything for me. It was between that and the air because I'm not doing anything to complicated for a Pro. Besides student discount any other way I can get it cheaper. Hopefully my letter works.
Tbh
U better off getting the base retina imac
The base non retina mac has about as much ghz as a ipad

Tbh
U better off getting the base retina imac
The base non retina mac has about as much ghz as a ipad

No I was really satisfied with the MacBook. Even though I prefer 13in, 12 isn't too bad. Either way, I'm not making my final purchase until after I sell my other Mac whenever I get that back. Don't need a pro. Air is okay too. But I rather just get the new Mac.

Any free, alternative programs I should use in place of buying Office 2016 for my MBP? You guys mess with Pages or is there anything better out there?

Nah dude it' sucks. When I bought it last year I didn't know it was an old 2012 model. And I told them the specific of I'm not doing much. So I'm complaining to corporate.
No I was really satisfied with the MacBook. Even though I prefer 13in, 12 isn't too bad. Either way, I'm not making my final purchase until after I sell my other Mac whenever I get that back. Don't need a pro. Air is okay too. But I rather just get the new Mac.
You never told the truth until that last post you had 
laugh.gif

You keep saying you don't do much on your laptop currently, but you "need" to get a new one. You realize that the specs of the new MacBooks are severely lacking for how much they cost, right?

I have a friend IRL like this....they keep saying that they got that "new thin MBP", but it is a new MacBook. I have given up trying to correct them of this all the time because it is pointless, lol. If you want a new MacBook then, cool, but I am sure that nothing is wrong with your current one, and since you yourself even said that you don't do much on it....what really justifies you buying a brand new one other than the fact that you just want to get it? 

I have a late 2011 MBP with the core i5, and it is still running like a champ. Granted, yes I upgraded the RAM to 16gb and installed a SSD, but I did that stuff on my own and it is simple to do for mostly anyone who can follow a YT video. The price to do that stuff is merely a fraction of spending the kind of money they asking for for a new MacBook.

You would have been better off grabbing a MacBook Air when they had those on sale at Best Buy for like $800-$900 during Christmas if you were going to upgrade and you "don't do much". I bought one for my wife last May and she loves it and it works and performs very well. 

Any free, alternative programs I should use in place of buying Office 2016 for my MBP? You guys mess with Pages or is there anything better out there?
For the most part, Google Docs has gotten better and you can try and use that as an office replacement. 

You can also, always try out OpenOffice for a MS Suite replacement as well.

https://www.openoffice.org/

They are really well done and I used them before myself. I ended up having to get a "copy" of MS for Mac because my wife needed it since she was doing some accounting school stuff and they were using MS Access in the class. 

I don't use any Apple propriety software for documents. I just use office for Mac (2011 not 365). If you know anyone in college they should be able to get a licensed copy for free (albeit its part of their tuition and fees) from the computer lab.

Also if any of your family/friends work for a big company/corporation, see if they're offered M$ Office at a discount through their employer.

My dad works for Wells Fargo and I got the new Office 2016 for 10 bucks.

Last edited:
For the most part, Google Docs has gotten better and you can try and use that as an office replacement. 

You can also, always try out OpenOffice for a MS Suite replacement as well.
https://www.openoffice.org/

They are really well done and I used them before myself. I ended up having to get a "copy" of MS for Mac because my wife needed it since she was doing some accounting school stuff and they were using MS Access in the class. 

Thanks for the info man. I mess with Google Docs at work, IDK why I didn't think to just use it at home :lol: . More or less I just wanted a word processing program to edit my resume and basic letter writing.

Thanks for the info man. I mess with Google Docs at work, IDK why I didn't think to just use it at home
laugh.gif
. More or less I just wanted a word processing program to edit my resume and basic letter writing.
Np. Yea I have ended up making a bunch of spreadsheets and docs with Google Docs myself lately. It is just more convenient and they are everywhere I am and accessible too. I pay for the 100gb from Google too, so that helps with the storage issue too. I backup all my pics to Google and use Google Play still even though I have Apple everything for the most part haha

Another question - so a cup of coffee spilt onto my MBP :smh: . Luckily I picked it up before it settled and was able to clean it off thoroughly; no signs of any malfunctions. My keyboard is fine, as are the screen and speakers. However, I still get a coffee scent. Is there anything I can wipe with/spray onto the keyboard to get rid of the smell?

Another question - so a cup of coffee spilt onto my MBP
mean.gif
. Luckily I picked it up before it settled and was able to clean it off thoroughly; no signs of any malfunctions. My keyboard is fine, as are the screen and speakers. However, I still get a coffee scent. Is there anything I can wipe with/spray onto the keyboard to get rid of the smell?
I am thinking your best bet might be something like those electronic device wipes. I just did a quick search to see if they make them scented and of course Amazon has some.
 Wireless Wipes Rosemary Peppermint Wireless Wipes are designed to clean cell phones, PDAs, and laptops. They are fast drying, non streaking and non corrosive, and they come in pomegranate citrus, green tea cucumber, and rosemary peppermint. 1. You use your mobile device all day and all night and set it down on questionable services. 2. They are filled with bacteria and we need to keep you healthy and your device clean! So, no more dirty talk - use Wireless WipesTM! Make your iPhone, Android, Windows Phone, Blackberry, Laptop, iPod, or other mobile device safe and germ free! 12 wipes per package
Amazon product ASIN B00DV5XY5Y

Another question - so a cup of coffee spilt onto my MBP :smh: . Luckily I picked it up before it settled and was able to clean it off thoroughly; no signs of any malfunctions. My keyboard is fine, as are the screen and speakers. However, I still get a coffee scent. Is there anything I can wipe with/spray onto the keyboard to get rid of the smell?
I am thinking your best bet might be something like those electronic device wipes. I just did a quick search to see if they make them scented and of course Amazon has some.
 Wireless Wipes Rosemary Peppermint Wireless Wipes are designed to clean cell phones, PDAs, and laptops. They are fast drying, non streaking and non corrosive, and they come in pomegranate citrus, green tea cucumber, and rosemary peppermint. 1. You use your mobile device all day and all night and set it down on questionable services. 2. They are filled with bacteria and we need to keep you healthy and your device clean! So, no more dirty talk - use Wireless WipesTM! Make your iPhone, Android, Windows Phone, Blackberry, Laptop, iPod, or other mobile device safe and germ free! 12 wipes per package
http://www.amazon.com/Pomegranate-Citrus-Wireless-Wipes-Electronic/dp/B00DV5XY5Y

Repped once again man, thanks for passing the suggestion along. I do have wipes at home, but not scented. Figured that's why the smell is still lingering.

Repped once again man, thanks for passing the suggestion along. I do have wipes at home, but not scented. Figured that's why the smell is still lingering.
No problem. I actually had never thought about if those wipes were scented or not, so I figured something new out myself 
laugh.gif
nthat.gif

Back
Top Bottom