The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

75f361074f89aabe005be54448ddf2ee633f7e10.png

Here is mine

Originally Posted by durty pancakes

Originally Posted by Mateen Cleaves

Originally Posted by durty pancakes

Any word on when new Macbooks are dropping? Or is the current aluminum one here to stay for another year or so?
since it came out a few months ago, i think thats it for the year. The new macbooks have new body, led lit screen, and better graphics card.
So what's the average life cycle of Macbooks? How often do they pump out new versions of Macbooks? I don't want to buy one and Apple decides to release a new version a few months later.

with that mentality, you're never going to get a computer. every company releases something better every year/couple of months. if you want to have thelatest tech all the time.. you're going to either be poor from keeping up or going to sit there and wait for a long long time

So I went to Micro Center today, and they have the aluminum Macbook for $1200 ($1300 but a $100 rebate) and the white Macbook for $949. Which one should I get?I need a laptop badly because my Vaio died last week.

Is the $1200 worth it or should I get the white one? Also, is the white one sort of girlish?

girlish? well, i believe the white macbook got bumped to have close to the similar specs of the lowest unibody. so really, if you dont mind spending a littlemore for the unibody look.. get that? if not, you won't be missing out on much other than looks.

Can yall hook me up with all these icons?? Are they posted in here somewhere?? like the kaws, kid robot, hundreds, etc
nerd.gif

Me and the Lady just got his and her Unibody MacBooks and the just released updated Airport Extreme (thisone had two radios which allows for 802.11 A,B,G on one radio, and 802.11N on the other radio) this basically is two networks under one SSID and allows you torun a complete network without throughput degradation. It also has Guest network feature that sets aside another SSID for your friends or guests to use that iseperate from your main one so they can't access your files.

I didn't like the Gen 1 plastic MacBooks, but the Unibody MacBooks are sweet. Perfect size and weight. I move around alot and often go from room to room and the 15.4 was getting bothersome to carry around. I mean I a big guy, and the weight and size of my MBP wasn't aproblem so much as an annoyance.

Now I just need to add my printer and Ext HD to the Airport extreme and my entire house will be on the network, includingthe PSWii60. Wireless networking FTW!!!!

yo cwrite is the time capsule a wise investment? I wanna get the 1TB version but $500
smh.gif

as long as it is simple to set up and reliable I'd get it tho. does it always stay on the network? and will my sisters PC downstairs be able to stream mymovie content folder on the time capsule??

i'd appreciate a mini review if you got the time

i bought a d-link dns NAS enclosure along with a 1TB western digital sata drive. the NAS is unreliable and shaky at best. I'm bout to return this piece ofjunk

Originally Posted by RawSheed

yo cwrite is the airport extreme a wise investment? I wanna get the 1TB version but $500
smh.gif

as long as it is simple to set up and reliable I'd get it tho. does it always stay on the network? and will my sisters PC downstairs be able to stream my movie content folder on the time capsule??

i'd appreciate a mini review if you got the time

i bought a d-link dns NAS enclosure along with a 1TB western digital sata drive. the NAS is unreliable and shaky at best. I'm bout to return this piece of junk

it is extremely easy to use. you connect everything (ethernet dsl/cable modem/USB external HDD/printer.. if you're going to use both you'll need a USBhub) into time capsule. run the software it came with and you'll be asked to name your time capsule, your disks and your guest network. you'll be askedto make passwords (although, it has a password maker that lets u set the level of security.. 8-32 characters) . i had mine up and running in about 20 mins. forPCs, i ran the software into my dad's computer and just typed in the password i set for my external HD so he can access it since i have my media on it.took 5 mins. so far i love it, the 802.11N radio my macbookpro is running on is extremely fast compared to G. i just love having my disk networked, that waypeople won't bother me with USB sticks or anything. i have my xbox connected on it also but im using connect 360 to access my files. and yeah it'ssteep, but is runs so smoothly with other macs and no problem with PCs. i bought the 500GB version since i already have 500GB external HD. i was also going toget a 1TB NAS but i was looking around and a lot of people suggested using time capsule + external HD as a NAS, the only thing i can think of that makes a NASbetter is the fact that the HDDs are hot swappable. but all in all, i totally recommend it. and sorry for the wall of text.

^^^^Or you could save some cheese and do like I am doing...the New Airport Extreme (released 2 weeks ago)and add a USB External Drive to it which will allow Time Machine and to back up over the network. You can also use BackToMyMac which is also included with thenew Airport to allow you to access your HD anywhere you have a internet connection if you are using MobileMe.

well, yeah. but my 500GB external HDD is full so that's why i got it. and another HD + airport express would come around the same price and a lot morewires.

I have a zune does it work on a mac?
Should I just get an touch, is there any rumor about a new version with more space coming out?

can any one post a good site for mac customizaton and programs like wallpapers,icons,tutorials, widgets etc etc =/ muchappreciated...im gettin my macbook pro this up comin saturday im pumped as hell

I'm probably gonna get an enclosure for this WD 1TB sata i have lying around. then I can hook it up to the time capsule right? and that 1TB will also beover the network along with the 500GB on the time capsule? sorry for the noob questions i just wanna get things right this time.

Originally Posted by RawSheed

I'm probably gonna get an enclosure for this WD 1TB sata i have lying around. then I can hook it up to the time capsule right? and that 1TB will also be over the network along with the 500GB on the time capsule? sorry for the noob questions i just wanna get things right this time.

yes sir, you'll have around 1.5 (well, less since it's never truly what they say) of networked storage.

Just added my Printer Copier Scanner to my network via USB on the Airport Extreme. Too easy, took less than5 minutes total. Did a test print with all the comps on the network and it was flawless. Apple simplicity FTW!!! Wireless PRinting FTW!!!

I'm sorry if these questions have been brought up already, but there's just too many pages to sift through at this point.
1) Is there anyway to get multiple program windows to stack when minimized? (Like in Windows if you have 10 msn convo windows open, instead of staying as 10individual boxes in the start bar they compile into one).

and actually I think that's it. thanks!

^^^The Zune doesn't work on Mac's without any work arounds and I don't know of anypersonally.

As far as the Touch, I would wait at least until after the 17th...some new info about iPhone 3.0 is going to be releasedand though it's about the iPhone the Touch may have some news as well. June we will probably see a new iPhone and possibly a new Touch aswell.

okay, now sending/receiving pictures through ichat locks it up.
frown.gif
. elder, do u have any problems with that?

Originally Posted by CWrite78

okay, now sending/receiving pictures through ichat locks it up.
frown.gif
. elder, do u have any problems with that?
CWrite, I have had so many problems historically with iChat that I gave up on it. Mind youthat was back in the 10.4 Tiger days. I'll look up that issue as I'm sure you probably are on that as well.

yeah i've searched for it but no dice. i've delete the com.apple.ichat.plist file and nothing happened. i love ichat because it's simple so ireally don't want to have to use anything else
frown.gif

Back
Top Bottom