The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

Originally Posted by xAiRMaXiNx

anyone know how I can add the date and time to my screensaver??? not my menu bar, but like a widget or something like that.

You mean on your desktop? Use geektool. Might be a little bit difficult to understand at first but there should be plenty of videos on YouTube to help you out.

I'm planning on getting an iMac next month and I need some input.
I plan on doing a lot of photo editing via photoshop and some iOs programming. The former is my main concern as it will require a lot of power/memory/space to run efficiently. I'm planning on picking up the high-end model w/ the following specs:

27-inch: 3.1GHz
3.1GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 - (I'm going w/ the 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 upgrade)
2560 x 1440 resolution
4GB (two 2GB) memory - (I'm going w/ the 8GB RAM upgrade. I want 16 GB but I hear it's cheaper to upgrade the memory myself. I'll decide later if I need it.
1TB hard drive - (I have a 1TB External HD as well.  I figure HD space won't be an issue)
AMD Radeon HD 6970M with 1GB

I really want the 1TB Serial ATA Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive but that $500+ price increase is killing me.

There's also a slim chance that I'll be doing some video and/or music editing later down the road, so I'm trying to take that into consideration as well. 

Any thoughts/suggestions on the above configuration? Thanks.

Originally Posted by Alchemist IQ

Originally Posted by sole searchin

Any thoughts or opinions on buying applecare for a macbook Pro through EBay? Retail price is a bit much, and to me knowledge, I would just register it with Apple and it should be good just as long as it is sealed and the code has never been used correct?

Thanks to anyone.

not a good idea if one of those key's. Its key generated fakes.
Get the apple care on student discount.
I bought applecare for my first macbook pro via eBay.  No problems at all. eBay seller emailed me the activation code within a day. You just have to make sure the seller has good feedback before you do.  I think it was like $160 on eBay.  Didn't know at the time that you could get the student discount for like $240 otherwise I probably just would have done that to be safe. 
ToAnotherLevel wrote:
I plan on doing a lot of photo editing via photoshop and some iOs programming. The former is my main concern as it will require a lot of power/memory/space to run efficiently. I'm planning on picking up the high-end model w/ the following specs:

3.1GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 - (I'm going w/ the 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 upgrade)
2560 x 1440 resolution 
4GB (two 2GB) memory - (I'm going w/ the 8GB RAM upgrade. I want 16 GB but I hear it's cheaper to upgrade the memory myself. I'll decide later if I need it.
1TB hard drive - (I have a 1TB External HD as well.  I figure HD space won't be an issue)

I really want the 1TB Serial ATA Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive but that $500+ price increase is killing me.

There's also a slim chance that I'll be doing some video and/or music editing later down the road, so I'm trying to take that into consideration as well. 

You can always get an external drive and go with the smallest SSD.  SSD is one of the biggest bottle necks in any system these days so it's kind of a must in my opinion. $500 for the 256gb is a bit over market prices but you really don't have a choice. Don't buy Apple's ram either.  Its an easily user upgradable part and you can get 8gb for $30 or 16gb for $200. Maybe the money saved on ram you could throw down for the SSD.  3.4 ghz i7 4gb ram 256gb SSD then use your current external drive to host media files and buy third party ram for $30 and you'll have a nice setup.  

Originally Posted by ToAnotherLevel

2560 x 1440 resolution

dont get 8 gb ram from apple, its cheaper to get 16 from owc or newegg

when is new macbook coming out? i heard its a whole new design? sorry i never bought macs before so im not really keeping up. im gonna buy a macbook in couple weeks but if new one is coming out soon id rather wait.

would some1 be kind to advise me what brand of hard drive i should buy for my macbook? Mine just decided to go on a permanent vacation. I've been lookin at the Western Digital "Caviar Black". Any insight would help, thanks

My macbook doesn't last 15 minutes without the battery(We actually use it as a house computer) does the replacements on Newegg reliable?

I don't want to pay 130.00 because people in my house don't take car of **+@ and I was thinking of buying two and interchanging them every month so they can last longer.

Whats the best way to go about transferring my iTunes library from one Macbook to another? New MBP came in and I have 42GB of music on my old Macbook that I need to get transferred onto my new one.

Originally Posted by K Town Trash

when is new macbook coming out? i heard its a whole new design? sorry i never bought macs before so im not really keeping up. im gonna buy a macbook in couple weeks but if new one is coming out soon id rather wait.
next spring or feb marchish 

Hmm, I plan on buying a new Macbook Pro in January or March as well. Hopefully I can wait...Anyone know the rumored specs for the next model?

Best place to buy a 60W charger for my MBP 13-inch? I don't have Apple Care.
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Anyone know if Idefrag is worth the 30 dollars? I know that most people say you don't have to defrag, however that's for people that have files that are mostly 20 mgs or bellow. I do a lot with music and movies. Any opinions on that software or anything similar?

Whats the best way to set up Mobile Me?  I try on my MBP, but it always tells me "Invalid Name or Password".  I'm entering my Apple ID, feel like such a ******, but googled and no real answers.  Do I need to set up on an iPhone first?  How do I get a "me.com" login?  
*shrugs*

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Whats the best way to set up Mobile Me?  I try on my MBP, but it always tells me "Invalid Name or Password".  I'm entering my Apple ID, feel like such a ******, but googled and no real answers.  Do I need to set up on an iPhone first?  How do I get a "me.com" login?  
*shrugs*

i had a similar problem with icloud, i believe my email address is my new apple id instead of my old apple id that wasnt an actual email address, and now i can log in, i think u just have to update ur apple id

When did you buy it? I just got a letter in the mail a couple months back about a civil suit going on with apple over the MagSafe chargers, I tank they're supposed to be sending me like 78 bucks or so because the chargers suck

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

*shrugs*

MobileMe is dead. I'm assuming you mean how to set up iCloud?

Read this:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4895

To get a @me.com email address, you first need to set up iCloud with your AppleID, after that it will allow you to create an @me.com email address.

Originally Posted by Wilroc

Whats the best way to go about transferring my iTunes library from one Macbook to another? New MBP came in and I have 42GB of music on my old Macbook that I need to get transferred onto my new one.

Do a time machine save and and transfer that last saved file to your  new MacBook.

Ok, so I have a couple of questions

I am looking to upgrade my 2011 pro to 8GB and came across this : http://www.amazon.com/Cru...F8&qid=1325460892&sr=8-2

^^^ Is that legit? And if not can someone point me in a direction that is legit and cost friendly?

Also, I want to get photoshop and I am not sure where to start. I seems like there are a lot of different versions? What is recommended for make and how much should I expect to pay?

Thanks

Anyone who upgraded to Lion from snow leopard wanna speak about problems they've come across. I got 3:

1. Battery went from 7 hours to like 3-4. 
indifferent.gif

2. Battery health is at 92% , I've had my mac for 6 months. 
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

3. My linksys router goes out everyday and I have to powercycle it to get it to work again. 
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

Anyone else suffering from things like this?

Originally Posted by JordanHead718212

Anyone who upgraded to Lion from snow leopard wanna speak about problems they've come across. I got 3:

1. Battery went from 7 hours to like 3-4. 
indifferent.gif

2. Battery health is at 92% , I've had my mac for 6 months. 
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

3. My linksys router goes out everyday and I have to powercycle it to get it to work again. 
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

Anyone else suffering from things like this?

When your battery life was 7 hours what were you using it for? I can still get 4-6 on low brightness, web browsing only. on my 2011 15" Pro. It becomes low if i try to use photoshop or stuff like that though.

My battery health is 95% and I got my computer mid march 2011. 121 cycles. I think both yours and mine are normal for it to be that way. You probably take it off the charger every day or something right?

My router has become crappier too but I don't think that is because of Lion.

I wish i still had snow leopard
tired.gif

Back
Top Bottom