The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

Anyone getting this message after updating to yosemite?

What's the advantage of a clean install over downloading from the AppStore?

I don't know but my system feels a big laggy after the update, but I've been meaning to redo my machine. About to backup some stuff and reinstall.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else have this happening?

There are 6 "Google Chrome Helper" processes that show "not responding" and they're using around three-quarters of a GB of RAM. I'm not sure if this happened before the update to Yosemite, or if it's just a glitch and they're actually "good" processes. But if not, 1GB of RAM tied up in non-responsive Google Chrome processes will force me to stop using it :x. I only have 4GB of RAM total.

Last edited:
^Yeah it's a known issue between Chrome and Yosemite.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/IIT6rFAPTcI
https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=397642

Excerpt from Lifehacker's Article:

z1e5o6vulfpotrdawvdj.jpg

Some users might want to hold off a little bit until their apps and other favorite tools catch up. In our tests, we haven't seen too many issues, but many devs have already pushed updates to fix post-upgrade bugs. However, some popular third-party apps, most notably Chrome and Firefox, devour RAM and CPU time in a way they never did in Mavericks. Some other tools have side features that just don't work—or work as well—after the update. Airmail, for example, works great in Yosemite, but for some reason after upgrading, global search stopped working. A quick search shows other people have the same problem, but luckily the Airmail team is already working on a fix.

The screenshot above is a pretty well-documented issue between Chrome and Yosemite. Chrome launches helper processes for things like extensions and flash. Well, something in Yosemite blocks the heartbeat check that Chrome uses to make sure those processes are still alive, so they show up in Activity Monitor as "Not Responding." Of course, they are responding, but the disconnect isn't helping anyone. Google will say Apple changed something, Apple will tell Google "tough it's our OS," and eventually someone (probably Google) will have to give up and push an update to resolve the problem.

Similarly, other have complained about sluggish or poor graphics performance in Yosemite, likely because of the new OS's shiny (but graphically demanding) translucent windows and effects. If you have an older Mac or a Mac with lackluster graphics, it can drag your system down. In my case, I saw slowness in QuickLook and anytime my wallpapers rotated. Occasionally my secondary display would just get covered with visual artifacts for no reason. Again, these are sporadic issues and my anecdotal experience, but a little digging says I'm not alone. Luckily, all of this is easily patched away, and likely will be before long. Still, if you have an older Mac, or one light on specs, you may want to hold off and see how other people fare, or wait for 10.10.1 before jumping on board.

Yeah I'm going to hold off on upgrading until a few more of the little problems get sorted out. I'll just wait for the first Yosemite OSX system update or something.

Last edited:
So the wife wants to retire her old Macbook (white 13", core 2 duo, 4gb ram, 250gb hdd) finally. I think I am going to give her my MacBook Pro (13", i5 proc, 8gb RAM, 750gb hdd). It literally stays in my office and I never take it anywhere. She is all through the house with hers and even takes it out sometimes with her.

I think I am going to grab one of the new Mac Minis with the i5 processor, 8gb RAM, and 1TB fusion drive to replace my laptop since it just stays in my office anyways. Going to go through Best Buy to get those reward zone points too when I do it
nthat.gif

Sad to hear this feedback on Yosemite so far. I was hoping it would be an improvement over the previous release.

http://www.macstories.net/roundups/os-x-yosemite-tips-tricks-and-details/
[h1]OS X Yosemite: Tips, Tricks, and Details[/h1]
By Federico Viticci

1413297299-2014-10-14%20at%2016.00.16%20pm%20yosemite.jpg

At MacStories, we believe in knowing all the little features and details of the software we use every day. We enjoy finding all the tweaks and hidden tricks that Apple ships with OS X and iOS every year, we love to round them up in a comprehensive collection. In this post, you’ll find over 60 tips, tricks, and details of OS X Yosemite that we’ve collected throughout the summer since the first beta release of Apple’s major redesign of OS X.

The release of OS X Yosemite was announced today at Apple’s media event in Cupertino, and the new OS is available now as a free upgrade on the Mac App Store. Yosemite – version 10.10 of OS X – brings a radical redesign, better integration with iOS thanks to Continuity and iCloud, and several changes to apps like Safari, Mail, and even the Finder.

We will have more articles on Yosemite today and throughout the week in our Yosemite hub on MacStories. In the meantime, you can enjoy our collection of tips and tricks to get the most out of OS X Yosemite below.
[h2]Design Details[/h2]
1413296221-2014-10-14%20at%2015.01.09%20pm%20dark.png

Yosemite comes with a dark mode for the menu bar and Dock. Go to System Preferences > General, and enable “Use dark menu bar and Dock”.

2014-10-14%20at%2015.01.09%20pm%20transparency.gif

Toggling Yosemite's transparency effect on and off.

Don’t like Yosemite’s transparency effects? System Preferences > Accessibility > Reduce transparency will let you turn them off and enjoy solid gray windows again.

The design of the volume and brightness HUDs has been tweaked to have a “frosted” look that blurs the background.

The volume feedback sound has changed in Yosemite. If you have it disabled, you can activate it in System Preferences > Sound > Sound Effect by checking “Play feedback when volume is changed”.

1413296868-2014-10-14%20at%2016.00.16%20pm%20dashboard_main.png

The new Dashboard has a translucent background (a blurred view of your desktop wallpaper) in Yosemite.

2014-10-14%20at%2015.01.09%20pm%20dashboard.gif

The Dashboard’s old Overlay mode is back. Go to System Preferences > Mission Control and choose to display the Dashboard as an overlay. This way, you’ll have widgets laid on top of your desktop.

1413296442-2014-10-14%20at%2015.01.09%20pm%20launchpad.png

Launchpad folders are bigger and they can be paginated.

The green “traffic light” button has been tweaked in Yosemite: clicking it now turns any app into full-screen mode (yes, even the Finder). You can Option-click the button to get the old maximize behavior; the glyph inside the button changes when enlarging or dismissing full-screen mode.

1413297063-2014-10-14%20at%2016.00.16%20pm%20mail_icon.png

The Mail icon now says “Hello from California” instead of "Hello from Cupertino, CA”.

The old “poof" animation when removing an icon from the dock is gone in Yosemite (the sound effect is still there, though).

1413300942-sysprefs.jpg

Mavericks (top) and Yosemite (bottom) have different lightbulbs.

The Energy Saver icon in System Preferences shows a modern LED bulb instead of the old fluorescent one.
[h2]Finder[/h2]
1413296550-2014-10-14%20at%2015.01.09%20pm%20rename.png

A batch renaming option has been added to the Finder in Yosemite: if you need to rename multiple files at once, select them, then choose “Rename [x] Items…” from the contextual menu. This will open a modal dialog with three options to batch rename files: Replace Text, Add Text, and Format. The first two are rather self-explanatory: one replaces a string of text found in the filename and the other can append or prepend text to the filename. Format is more advanced, as it lets you pick a format name with index, date, or counter to be placed before or after the filename with an option for a custom format as well.

1413296314-2014-10-14%20at%2015.01.09%20pm%20finder_preview.png

The Finder’s preview panel used to be exclusive to the Column view, but that’s changing in Yosemite. You can now show the preview panel for selected files in any view (such as Icon view) by enabling it under View > Show Preview (or hitting ⇧⌘P).

Yosemite’s AirDrop no longer needs to be open in a Finder window to receive files from other devices, and it also works with iOS 8 now.
[h2]iTunes[/h2]
1413296000-2014-10-14%20at%2015.01.09%20pm%20artists.png

When in Artists view, iTunes 12 shows a cover image at the top similar to the blurred background of the Album view.

The iTunes Store has been redesigned for the launch of Yosemite and iTunes 12 with a style similar to the iTunes Store on iOS 8. Banner images no longer have a 3D carousel, play buttons for previews have simpler outlines, and Buy buttons are reminiscent of their iOS counterparts as well.

You can click on the search bar in iTunes to view Trending Searches and access them.

1413296996-2014-10-14%20at%2016.00.16%20pm%20itunes_mini.png

You can hover over the album art in the title bar to show an icon to switch to the MiniPlayer. Closing the MiniPlayer will return to the full iTunes interface.
[h2]Spotlight[/h2]
1413296665-2014-10-14%20at%2015.01.09%20pm%20spotlight.png

Yosemite’s Spotlight can do unit and currency conversions (the latter powered by Yahoo data). Simply type something like “10 eur” in the Spotlight search field and you’ll get an instant conversion to US Dollars and more currencies on the right. Type “10 c” and you’ll get a conversion to Fahrenheit and Kelvin.

1413296713-2014-10-14%20at%2015.01.09%20pm%20spotlight_dark.png

If you enable dark mode in Yosemite’s General preferences, Spotlight will switch to a dark layout as well.

1413297295-2014-10-14%20at%2016.00.16%20pm%20spotlight_files.png

You can browse folders in the new Spotlight by hitting ⇥ to view the contents of a folder (including sub-folders) and [emoji]8617[/emoji] to view a open a file or folder. Hit ⇧⇥ to go back to the list of results on the left.

Use the arrow keys to navigate search results in Spotlight. When a file or folder is selected, hold ⌘ to view its path at the bottom.
[h2]FaceTime[/h2]
You can dial any phone number in the FaceTime app and call it using an iPhone on the same WiFi network thanks to Continuity. Click the search box in FaceTime, type a number, then click the phone icon and choose to call from your iPhone. Your Mac will use your iPhone’s cellular capabilities to make a phone call.

A new “Default for calls” option has been added to FaceTime’s preferences to set up a different default app for handling calls, such as Skype.

You can right-click any contact in the Audio or Video tabs of the new FaceTime to show options, such as “Remove from Recents”.
[h2]Messages[/h2]
1413296524-2014-10-14%20at%2015.01.09%20pm%20messages_details.png

A new Details button available in the top right corner of conversations lets you access attachments and various options for regular and group conversations:
  • View all media shared in a conversation. You can Quick Look individual images, right-click to open them, ⌦ to delete them, and even hold ⇧ to select multiple images in the Details popover to delete them.
  • Enable Do Not Disturb for a specific conversation;
  • Start a screen sharing or FaceTime session;
  • Rename group chats, add contacts, and leave conversations.
You can now use the same alert tones of iOS in the Messages app for Yosemite.

You can send soundbites in the Messages for OS X by clicking the microphone icon next to the compose box and talking into your mic.
[h2]Safari[/h2]
1413296778-2014-10-14%20at%2015.01.09%20pm%20tabs.png

There’s a new tab view in Safari that you can access by clicking the “Show all tabs” icon or by pinching with two fingers. All open tabs will be laid out on a birds-eye view, but you can also scroll vertically to view your iCloud Tabs at the bottom.

You can close iCloud Tabs on other devices by hovering next to their name on the right side and hitting the “x” button.

OS X Yosemite’s Safari can create a new private browsing window independently from your existing windows and tabs from File > New Private Window (⇧⌘N).

2014-10-14%20at%2015.01.09%20pm%20highlight_tab.gif

A subtle transition accompanies the act of hovering over a tab.

If you don’t like Safari’s new behavior of hiding the full URL in the address bar, you can revert back in Preferences > Advanced > Show full website address.

DuckDuckGo can now be set as a default search engine in Preferences > Search. The new Safari even supports the full DuckDuckGo syntax for search shortcuts and commands – type “!a Oasis DVD” in the address bar, for instance, and Safari will take you directly to an Amazon search thanks to DuckDuckGo integration.

1413296934-2014-10-14%20at%2016.00.16%20pm%20faves.png

Clicking into the new Safari address bar reveals an iOS-inspired menu for Favorites and Frequently Visited websites. In this view, you can:
  • ⌘-click websites to open them in new tabs in the background;
  • ⌥-click websites to download them in the background;
  • Drag a frequently visited website out of the panel to remove it;
  • Navigate inside bookmark folders.
1413296252-2014-10-14%20at%2015.01.09%20pm%20dock_stack.png

The progress bar for the Downloads stack in the dock has been updated with a new look in Yosemite.

1413296612-2014-10-14%20at%2015.01.09%20pm%20RSS.png

RSS support is back in Safari for Yosemite thanks to Shared Links. You can click any valid RSS link in any webpage and Safari will ask you to add that feed to your Shared Links.

A new “Clear History and Website Data” menu lets you remove history, cookies, and other website data for the past hour, day, two days, or since you’ve started using Safari.

When you open direct image links in Safari, images are now centered in the middle of the screen.
[h2]Other[/h2]
1413297206-2014-10-14%20at%2016.00.16%20pm%20quicktime.png

You can now record screencasts of your iOS devices using a Mac running Yosemite and the new QuickTime app. Plug in your iOS device with a Lightning connector, then open QuickTime and start a new movie recording. You can set the camera as the input device (an iPhone or iPad) to capture its screen, then set the microphone to either the device’s microphone or any other microphone configured with your computer. Once you’re done recording, export the file, and you’ll get an HD screencast of your iOS device, recorded natively with Yosemite.

QuickTime Player automatically cleans up an iOS status bar when recording, showing full signal, full battery, and Apple’s typical 9:41 AM time in the status bar clock. The clean status bar is rendered live on an iOS device as well, so you can take screenshots directly on an iPhone and iPad.

There’s a new progress bar displayed when OS X is checking an .app file it’s about to open for the first time (it usually comes up for large apps, such as Xcode).

1413297114-2014-10-14%20at%2016.00.16%20pm%20markup_1.png

1413297156-2014-10-14%20at%2016.00.16%20pm%20markup_2.png

Editing an image in Mail using Markup.

You can now annotate images with Markup, an action extension built by Apple to extend Preview. When sending an image attachment from Mail, you’ll see a chevron in the top right corner of the image; click it, and choose Markup. This will bring up the Preview annotation tools inside Mail, letting you mark up an image with annotations before sending it.

1413296492-2014-10-14%20at%2015.01.09%20pm%20maildrop2.png

Mail has a new feature to send large attachment that exceed the maximum size allowed my email providers called Mail Drop. Powered by iCloud, Mail Drop invisibly uploads a large attachment to iCloud first and embeds it in a message, storing it encrypted on the iCloud servers for 30 days. If you’re signed into iCloud, Mail Drop is used automatically for large attachments; if you’re not signed into iCloud, OS X will ask you to use it. Mail Drop attachments don’t count against your iCloud storage. Mail Drop attachments are displayed inline on Yosemite, but they’re replaced by a link to download the file (plus expiration date) on other systems. Interestingly enough, these links use a “digitalhub.com” domain.

You can disable Mail Drop with Mail > Preferences > Account > [your account] > Advanced > Send large attachments with Mail Drop.

1413300940-Screen%20Shot%202014-10-14%20at%2017.27.47.png

The new Calendar app features a predictive engine that suggests event times and locations based on previous events. After clicking the “+” button to add a new event, start typing and Calendar will show suggestions for past events that you can re-use as templates for new events.

1413296961-2014-10-14%20at%2016.00.16%20pm%20flyover.png

Flyover tours are available in Maps for Yosemite. Find a city that supports Flyover Tours – such as Rome – click its name, then click Tour.

1413300080-Screen%20Shot%202014-10-14%20at%2016.54.40.png

QuickTime now has an adjustment bar for SloMo videos recorded on an iPhone. SloMo videos play back correctly in QuickTime and you can drag the separators at the bottom of the player controls to determine where SloMo should begin and end.

The “Software Update” option is gone from the  menu. Instead, available updates will show up with a “new” badge in  > App Store.

1413296242-2014-10-14%20at%2015.01.09%20pm%20default_browser.png

A new dialog is displayed when a third-party browser tries to set itself as the new default app for opening links.

1413296790-2014-10-14%20at%2015.01.09%20pm%20widget_new.png

When a new widget is available, you can add it by clicking the “1 New” button at the bottom of Notification Center.

Script Editor has been updated with JavaScript support and syntax highlighting.

1413300113-Screen%20Shot%202014-10-14%20at%2017.01.29.png

A list of contacts you’re recently shared items with is now displayed in the system share sheet; you can click the recipient’s name to quickly share an item again.

1413296375-2014-10-14%20at%2015.01.09%20pm%20install_ext.png

When a new extension is available, it will be indicated with a blue badge in the share sheet.

You can create keyboard shortcuts for action and share extensions without using a third-party app. First, find the name of the extension you need to activate; to do this, you can open Safari, then navigate to File > Share and see the exact name of an extension you have installed. Next, go to System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > App Shortcuts and create a shortcut for all apps (or just Safari if you want) with this format: File->Share->Add to App (replace “Add to App” with the name of the extension). Give it a shortcut, and you’ll be able to trigger an extension from the keyboard.

1413297243-2014-10-14%20at%2016.00.16%20pm%20sign.png

You can create a signature with your trackpad in addition to the iSight camera from Preview. In the app, show the Markup toolbar (⇧⌘A), click the signature icon, then follow the steps to create a signature with your trackpad.

You can rearrange widgets in Notification Center with drag & drop by grabbing their title bar.

What is a good website to cop a macbook for a decent price?

If you are buying brand new and are customizing to get better specs, I recommend using apples very own "education store." It's like a 100-200 off a model and then 10% off every upgrade feature. I've seen a fully loaded one from that be cheaper than other retailers that really do sell significantly below retail. But I also live in NYC, so we get charged sales tax from everywhere if I could save on sales tax then I'd probably go through one of the discount retailers like macmall or something.

You can cop refurbs for a decent price on the apple site. http://www.macmall.com/ is another site you could use too.
i was thinking about going the refurbs route.
If you are buying brand new and are customizing to get better specs, I recommend using apples very own "education store." It's like a 100-200 off a model and then 10% off every upgrade feature. I've seen a fully loaded one from that be cheaper than other retailers that really do sell significantly below retail. But I also live in NYC, so we get charged sales tax from everywhere if I could save on sales tax then I'd probably go through one of the discount retailers like macmall or something.
also thought about a customized one nonetheless ill check out both. preciate it bros.

Hopefully there's a work around for handsoff because I can't use the feature. However I'm loving the improvement to spotlight.

where is add to bookmarks for webpages on OS X yosemite?? there's no shortcut button to add to the toolbar at the top of the browser? or am i missing something...

also, i had to download adblock plus again since i was getting ads...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom