The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

Yosemite jacked up my MacBook. My joint won't even start up. When I press the power button, I jus' get a blank screen.

Just got a notification to update my iTunes...then i saw yosemite is out.

What's the best way to wipe the mac clean, install the new iOS and restore from a backup?

Ive NEVR wiped my mac clean in the 4 years ive owned it but the other section is getting out of hand

Got me nervous to update to Yosemite think I'll wait

Also whats the point of wiping clean if youre going to bring it all back? Maybe I'm confused? :lol:

Well I thought the other section was all software updates.

Sorta like when you backup your iphone and then restore it to reduce the other section

Tempted to get that new Mac mini. Is it a greater improvement over the previous generation?

Somewhat, but not if you really like to tinker with your Mac, they've switched over to Soldered in RAM so unless you spring up front for the max OR are handy with a soldering iron (and throwing caution to the wind when voiding your warranty) you're stuck.

I'm pretty happy with Yosemite, and as someone that's had experience with Mac OS going back to the Classic OS and adopted OS X full time back in the Jaguar days, my needs are pretty specific for the OS. Markup is probably the feature I'll end up using the most, at least until I get my hands on a Mac that can do handoff.

Somewhat, but not if you really like to tinker with your Mac, they've switched over to Soldered in RAM so unless you spring up front for the max OR are handy with a soldering iron (and throwing caution to the wind when voiding your warranty) you're stuck.

I'm pretty happy with Yosemite, and as someone that's had experience with Mac OS going back to the Classic OS and adopted OS X full time back in the Jaguar days, my needs are pretty specific for the OS. Markup is probably the feature I'll end up using the most, at least until I get my hands on a Mac that can do handoff.

I see. Is the next gen intel processor a bit jump? Also is it the same deal with the HD's as well fixed or is that at least upgradeable? I might go for the cheapest with maxed ram and just bump up to a 1TB SSD or something...

They've gone back to the original mentality with this version, and made it tough to get into and work on it. iFixit did a tear down and had to make a prototype Torx driver to get into it, so while you should be able to swap out the HDD soon enough, all signs point to it voiding your warranty since they're basically making this one not user serviceable.

They've gone back to the original mentality with this version, and made it tough to get into and work on it. iFixit did a tear down and had to make a prototype Torx driver to get into it, so while you should be able to swap out the HDD soon enough, all signs point to it voiding your warranty since they're basically making this one not user serviceable.

Ah ok I just saw the article on this. Thanks for the info! I always loved the Mac Mini line so I think I will just buy one spec'd out. Not going to be doing any heavy lifting with this bad boy anyway.

Yeah, I'm actually eyeing a Mac mini to replace a 12 year old PowerMac G4 that's well beyond it's last leg. When my dad was visiting he was using it and grumbling about why I keep such an old thing in use (even though it'd hadn't been turned on since the last time he visited).

Yeah, I'm actually eyeing a Mac mini to replace a 12 year old PowerMac G4 that's well beyond it's last leg. When my dad was visiting he was using it and grumbling about why I keep such an old thing in use (even though it'd hadn't been turned on since the last time he visited).

copped an i7 last month.. so excited that updated the mini but soldered ram is wack because apple charges an arm and a leg for it.. love this mini..

Yosemite on the other hand.. keep getting Safari problems..

damn i thought Apple updated my OSX Yosemite automatically when I turned it on the other day, but I gotta download it manually and it's 5GBs fam 
sick.gif

If you're running the public beta 6 or the developer GM candidate 3, Apple considers those to be the final product, so you can use 10.0 as is and you'll get the updates when they go live on the app store.

If you're paranoid you can download and do the install, but it'll even warn you before you start the download that you're already running 10.0

Aint updating till maybe the school holiday break. Seen too many issues and also supposedly my 2011 macbook can't do that bluetooth hand off feature. :smh: :smh:

Hey All,

Looking for a new laptop, currently my Macbook Pro is 4.5 years old and battery is shot, and so is my charger figured it was time to get a new one. I only use it for internet, music, and sometimes word.

Do you suggest Macbook Pro 13 inch with retina display or just wait until Macbook Air w/ Retina display comes out next year?

Thanks!

Hey All,

Looking for a new laptop, currently my Macbook Pro is 4.5 years old and battery is shot, and so is my charger figured it was time to get a new one. I only use it for internet, music, and sometimes word.

Do you suggest Macbook Pro 13 inch with retina display or just wait until Macbook Air w/ Retina display comes out next year?

Thanks!

I don't think retina display will come to the Air because of the amount of power is uses so they will need to make a bigger battery for the air, adding weight. I could be wrong but nothing was announced during the last announcement. Maybe try replacing the battery and getting a new charger if nothing else is wrong with your old mac just to save some money?

On another note has anyone ever used this? Is it efficient in clearing up space?

http://macpaw.com/cleanmymac

Anyone know why my google chrome doesnt play any videos on ESPN and doesnt show any listings when I search for something on ebay?

What's the best way to perform maintenance on a 24 inch early 2008 Mac?

These are the stats:

Processor 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory 4 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Graphics ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256 MB

Software OS X 10.8.5

My computer seems to run slow/freeze at times and I'm not sure if it's from a maintenance issue, virus issue (I torrent a lot of music & ebooks), or if it's just an issue from me putting it to sleep at night instead of fully shutting it down?

Tips or suggestions? Thanks.

Last edited:
periodically clear your cache. Macs do a good job of defragging the HDD, but just to be on the safe side since you've been running it for 6 years now check Disk Utility to make sure it's not spitting out any errors at you.

You can upgrade it to a max of 6GB even though the official specs say 4GB is the max, just use 1 2GB and 1 4.

Last edited:
What do I need to open the battery compartment of my MBP? Have a 09 MBP and should I get a battery off of Amazon or cop from Apple?

What do I need to open the battery compartment of my MBP? Have a 09 MBP and should I get a battery off of Amazon or cop from Apple?

Replaced mine earlier today. Copped a battery from batteries plus for half of what apple charges and followed a tutorial video off youtube. Make sure you have a tri-wing screwdriver for the screws holding in the battery.

Replaced mine earlier today. Copped a battery from batteries plus for half of what apple charges and followed a tutorial video off youtube. Make sure you have a tri-wing screwdriver for the screws holding in the battery.

What year was yours? I need a replacement for my early 2011 15inch but on their site I can't find it. All that shows up is power adapters....Have you bought from them before? Do they last long?

http://www.batteriesplus.com/produc...LA_MacBookPro8-dot2/4194-0-MacBook-Pro/1.aspx

Back
Top Bottom