The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

Yeah I plan on going for a similar setup. That's a 13" model? I'm using a 15" now, but will go for a 13" and use in tandem with a monitor. I saw the Henge dock, but don't feel like paying that much.

It's a 15". That monitor just dwarfs everything :lol:

I was looking into a henge dock also but that price is too steep, especially since here made specifically to each model MacBook.

The book arc comes with rubber inserts to fit every model MacBook from 2012+ So I went with that since I'm looking to upgrade soon. And it's half the price

I'm not sure on if I want to keep going MBP and buy the new 15" retina when it drops or just go for the new tiny MacBook in gold [emoji]129300[/emoji][emoji]128293[/emoji]

But if them MBP's start coming in gold, it's a wrap

Last edited:
I'm still on a '08 15" unibody so my upgrade has been a long time coming. I barely need the portability (was considering an iMac), but I still need power in my machine, hence sticking with a MBP. I'd rather use my phone or tablet than the 12" MB.

Thanks, its the Samsung S29E790C curved display. I have the 29inch but they make a 34 also.

That 34 is a beast

Amazon product ASIN B00Q7VCSGU

Very nice. I have been looking to upgrade my dual monitor setup to a single Ultrawide. That 29" might be perfect for my desk. 34 may be pushing it :lol:

I just need to get someone to hurry up and snag these duals from me so I can upgrade.

I'm still on a '08 15" unibody so my upgrade has been a long time coming. I barely need the portability (was considering an iMac), but I still need power in my machine, hence sticking with a MBP. I'd rather use my phone or tablet than the 12" MB.

I love the portability factor of the new MacBook. I hope they can slim down the MBP even more and give us color options. I love my tank and I hope the new ones last me just as long with no issues like this one has

I've got a 12.9 iPad Pro and it blew my mind how large it was compared to the new MacBook

Thanks, its the Samsung S29E790C curved display. I have the 29inch but they make a 34 also.

That 34 is a beast

Amazon product ASIN B00Q7VCSGU

Very nice. I have been looking to upgrade my dual monitor setup to a single Ultrawide. That 29" might be perfect for my desk. 34 may be pushing it :lol:

I just need to get someone to hurry up and snag these duals from me so I can upgrade.

TBH if the 34inch wasn't almost twice the price, I may have just gone with that.

If you don't necessarily want or need the curved display, LG's older 34inch is still a beast of a display and has come down on price. I was dead set on buying this one until I saw the Samsung

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VBNQJSM/?tag=niketalk0e-20

I love the portability factor of the new MacBook. I hope they can slim down the MBP even more and give us color options. I love my tank and I hope the new ones last me just as long with no issues like this one has

I've got a 12.9 iPad Pro and it blew my mind how large it was compared to the new MacBook
TBH if the 34inch wasn't almost twice the price, I may have just gone with that.

If you don't necessarily want or need the curved display, LG's older 34inch is still a beast of a display and has come down on price. I was dead set on buying this one until I saw the Samsung

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VBNQJSM/?tag=niketalk0e-20

Mna I would snag the 34". I might do it for the LG, but it has the same resolution as the LG 29" which is hovering below 300. Plus that would be my 2012 Mac Mini's max output in resolution. Can't output anything above that unfortunately due to the older thunderbolt port. At least that's what i've read. I dont want to upgrade or get rid of it though. Its the 2012 i7 basically maxed out aside from an SSD (which is coming). The thing already fly's.

I am tired of the space the Dual 23" Dell Ultrasharps are taking though.

So the resolution is too high or low for the Mac mini?

Would going HDMI vs thunderbolt make any difference?

Too high. I think the max is 2560x1600 through thunderbolt. So the 29" would be perfect.

Wait now that I read it I can use a 1440 screen lol

edit: nvm I am just confusing my self now. I wouldnt be able to run a 1440 monitor.

Last edited:
Alright so I need some tech help.

So I got a MacBook Pro. Older model. IDK exactly how old like 4 or 5 years old.

So yesterday it started freezing up on me. I'd go to restart and I'd get a grey screen with a folder and a question mark.

I restarted again holding down command and R and would go to disk utility to do first aid. Says everything is Gucci but when I restart the **** is still ****** up.

It wants me to reinstall OSX but when I try to it wants me to choose a disk to save the file on or whatever but it doesn't give me any options to do so.

Help me please.

I got OSX 10.11 El Capitan.

So let's troubleshoot this before Apple rapes you. Get an external hard drive enclosure and put your hard drive in there and try to boot via usb. If this works then the problem is not your HD it is the cable that connects your HD to the motherboard. You can replace it yourself Amazon product ASIN B004VSZCL4 . I have done this before and it only takes a few minutes.

Hey fellas, just hoping to get some quick advice. I have a 2009 map with the original HD but updated RAM.
Yesterday I couldn't get it to load past the bootscreen and it then turns itself off. Please see images.
Is my MacBook a wrap or can I just swap the HD, clean the fans and keep pushing? Thanks.
legit...check the post before you. I had the same thing happen to my mid-2010. I got a 2tb hybrid drive. hopefully that lasts at least another 5 yrs

So yesterday it started freezing up on me. I'd go to restart and I'd get a grey screen with a folder and a question mark.

I restarted again holding down command and R and would go to disk utility to do first aid. Says everything is Gucci but when I restart the **** is still ****** up.

It wants me to reinstall OSX but when I try to it wants me to choose a disk to save the file on or whatever but it doesn't give me any options to do so.

Help me please.

Just started having this issue myself. Yesterday, I was running OSX 10.9.5 and it happened once. Figured it was a sign that I needed to heed the daily notification(s) I had been recieving for months now about upgrading my OS to El Capitan X. Well I went ahead with the upgrade and it seems to have made things worse.

My MB has frozen like 3 times since yesterday's software upgrade. Right now, Disk Utility can't even find my HD. I was smart enough to do a backup prior to the upgrade, but it seems to have been for naught, as my HD can't even be found. ****... :lol:

Anyone know if this is a fixable issue? If so, how much to do it myself (and how)? Will it cost me an arm and leg to have technicians at the Apple store do the work for me? Any help/info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
So the resolution is too high or low for the Mac mini?

Would going HDMI vs thunderbolt make any difference?

Too high. I think the max is 2560x1600 through thunderbolt. So the 29" would be perfect.

TBH I've used both a 34 and a 29 now, and the 29 is still huge. The 34 is a monster, but it doesn't dwarf the 29. The 29 still looks huge and you can still get a ton of work done on it.

I would say if you're looking to keep your mac mini even longer, go with that 29 and you still won't be disappointed

Last edited:
TBH I've used both a 34 and a 29 now, and the 29 is still huge. The 34 is a monster, but it doesn't dwarf the 29. The 29 still looks huge and you can still get a ton of work done on it.

I would say if you're looking to keep your mac mini even longer, go with that 29 and you still won't be disappointed

Yea I think the 29 is what I will be going with. Honestly I love my dual 23" but I just need the space. Thanks for the input.

Is there any new MacBooks in the pipe line?

I don't keep up with this stuff. My mid 2014 MBP is having issues. The mouse pad is unresponsive at times and the screen blacks out at times, gotta tilt up and restart to fix. Kinda sad it's only lasting 4 years.

The white MacBook I had prior was a trooper :lol:

Just started having this issue myself. Yesterday, I was running OSX 10.9.5 and it happened once. Figured it was a sign that I needed to heed the daily notification(s) I had been recieving for months now about upgrading my OS to El Capitan X. Well I went ahead with the upgrade and it seems to have made things worse.

My MB has frozen like 3 times since yesterday's software upgrade. Right now, Disk Utility can't even find my HD. I was smart enough to do a backup prior to the upgrade, but it seems to have been for naught, as my HD can't even be found. ****... :lol:

Anyone know if this is a fixable issue? If so, how much to do it myself (and how)? Will it cost me an arm and leg to have technicians at the Apple store do the work for me? Any help/info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

If it doesn't see your HD then you need to make sure you HD is working which means getting a SATA to USB cable
Amazon product ASIN B00HJZJI84Put your Hard Drive on this and boot from your USB. If it works then you are all good and your cable is shot. You can get a new cable that goes from you Hard Drive to motherboard for like $13 depending on your MacBook year and version
Amazon product ASIN B004VSZCL4If you can't boot then you may really have some issues with you HD but you may still be able to get most of your data off of it and transfer to a new Hard Drive. Try a SSD you will love it.

Last edited:
Is there any new MacBooks in the pipe line?

I don't keep up with this stuff. My mid 2014 MBP is having issues. The mouse pad is unresponsive at times and the screen blacks out at times, gotta tilt up and restart to fix. Kinda sad it's only lasting 4 years.

The white MacBook I had prior was a trooper :lol:

That's what I'm most scared about with upgrading. My 2012 has been a tank the last 4 years and I can kick it into higher gear by throwing 2 1tb SSD's in it

But if I go retina, I run the risk of new hardware with new issues

There won't be any new hardware announced at WWDC apparently, but there's supposed to be a keynote later this year with new hardware

But those are just rumors. We may get new hardware announced. I hope so, because I want a gold MBP

Help me please.

The folder with the question mark means it can't find your start up drive, either your hard drive quit or the cable that connects to your hard drive (SATA cable) is no good.

I just had this happen to me with my 2012 MBP.  The cable is a $15 to $20 part on amazon, just make sure you get the cable for the correct year of macbook you have. It's a pretty straight forward process, takes 30 minutes at most and theres some videos on youtube that show how to swap it out. Your macbook should start right back up like normal after.

Or you can always take it to an apple store and I'm sure they can do it for you.

Last edited:
i just bought a brand new iMac 27inch 5k and it was all running fine. i did a system update that it prompted me to do and after it restarted i get a pop up that won't go away saying "finder quit unexpectedly while using the finder plug in". i googled the problem and it gives me all these complicated answers when I'm fairly new to mac. does anyone know what i should do. 

literally took it out of the box an hour ago

If it doesn't see your HD then you need to make sure you HD is working which means getting a SATA to USB cable
Amazon product ASIN B00HJZJI84Put your Hard Drive on this and boot from your USB. If it works then you are all good and your cable is shot. You can get a new cable that goes from you Hard Drive to motherboard for like $13 depending on your MacBook year and version
Amazon product ASIN B004VSZCL4If you can't boot then you may really have some issues with you HD but you may still be able to get most of your data off of it and transfer to a new Hard Drive. Try a SSD you will love it.

I appreciate the help and recommendation, but I dropped it off at my local apple store yesterday. Tech guy ran a test and said the issue was likely inherent to the cable connecting the HD to some other thing I don't recall at the moment. Said parts and labor would cost ~$56. If they discover that my HD is part of the problem though, and they have to replace that as well, then the fix will be $150.

I think its about time I learned how to get my hands dirty when it comes to computers... :lol:

Back
Top Bottom