The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

Man i love my MacBook 2014 air i have the base model with 128gb hdd but i really wanted to upgrade to the newest air maxed out but couldn't justify spending $2k on the air with those horrible specs so i been really searching for a new computer. I really don't care to have Mac OSX anymore so i been looking at PC's.

Im finally switching back to PC been using Macs for 10 years now and finally found a laptop they will suit my needs and its the

Huawei Matebook X Pro.

got the maxed out version for just under $1500. Reviews on it are great and people ranking it the best laptop to beat for 2018. Here are some quick reviews

can't wait for it to arrive!

Man i love my MacBook 2014 air i have the base model with 128gb hdd but i really wanted to upgrade to the newest air maxed out but couldn't justify spending $2k on the air with those horrible specs so i been really searching for a new computer. I really don't care to have Mac OSX anymore so i been looking at PC's.

Im finally switching back to PC been using Macs for 10 years now and finally found a laptop they will suit my needs and its the

Huawei Matebook X Pro.

got the maxed out version for just under $1500. Reviews on it are great and people ranking it the best laptop to beat for 2018. Here are some quick reviews

can't wait for it to arrive!

Good luck, don’t complain when your device is shipped with Huawei spyware.

That laptop was the ultra book to beat this year. I went with the XPS 13 (9370). Don’t regret it. Things a power house. Windows10 is much more refined than it used to be as well. I think you’ll enjoy it.

I still work back n forth. But with work mainly using Windows, I’ve slowly used less and less of MacOS. Still love the os though.

Good luck, don’t complain when your device is shipped with Huawei spyware.

Knew someone would say something about china and spying i really dont care about it.

That laptop was the ultra book to beat this year. I went with the XPS 13 (9370). Don’t regret it. Things a power house. Windows10 is much more refined than it used to be as well. I think you’ll enjoy it.

I still work back n forth. But with work mainly using Windows, I’ve slowly used less and less of MacOS. Still love the os though.

Yea im still keeping my air until i finally transition over completely but i dont think that will take long.

I looked at the XPS as well and liked it but the price was still more than the matebook

I'm a really big fan of the XPS. If I were to go windows hardware thats probably what I would pick as well, if not the surface pro for its versatility.

But the MBP is the ultimate notebook for me still. The form factor, design, and huge track pad will probably keep me away from a windows notebook until someone really makes a better piece of hardware.

Hopefully in a couple of years the surface pro will evolve into something that'll convince me to consider a 2nd device.

I'm a really big fan of the XPS. If I were to go windows hardware thats probably what I would pick as well, if not the surface pro for its versatility.

But the MBP is the ultimate notebook for me still. The form factor, design, and huge track pad will probably keep me away from a windows notebook until someone really makes a better piece of hardware.

Hopefully in a couple of years the surface pro will evolve into something that'll convince me to consider a 2nd device.

No lie the build quality is still somewhat good but the competition has caught up and justifying that apple price for what you get just doesn't make sense anymore. You are really just paying for Mac OSX but overtime too me it feels like the iPhone when it first came out it was necessary to have to have a laptop with iTunes to use it now i barely ever connect my iPhone to my mac anymore

i also hated the fact they killed of their timecapsule support and i could never back my iPhone or iOS devices straight to my time capsule but was forced to use the iCloud smh.

check out these guys opinions

maybe another 4 to 5 years from now i will be back in the market hopefully apple gets their stuff together and have a worthy laptop to convince me to come back.

Im sticking with my iPhone X for awhile and will be looking at what comes out in the next couple years because my iPhone might get tossed next even tho i would hate to lose iMessage and FaceTime but that is the only thing keeping me on the iPhone now.

Anyone with the new iPad Pro have a different keyboard folio case than the one apple sells???

I don’t like the idea of not having a backlight on the keyboard :smh:

My 15” MacBook Pro is a late 2013 model. It’s in great condition and hardly used. Still part of me would like to get a new one. It’s 5 years old now and surely it will last a bit longer. Still I’m always one to replace before problems come up you know.

My 15” MacBook Pro is a late 2013 model. It’s in great condition and hardly used. Still part of me would like to get a new one. It’s 5 years old now and surely it will last a bit longer. Still I’m always one to replace before problems come up you know.

Why havent you upgraded?

If anyone is cool with the base Air, Costco has the Space Grey for $999. This is the price it should’ve been from the jump, IMO.

Finally caved and got one. I was a little iffy about the 128 GB storage, but everything I do is in the cloud now anyways. Plus having 3TB of storage on our iMac helps, since I do the heavy lifting work on it.

Our current 2013 Air served us well and still works flawlessly, but it’s time for some upgraded tech.

This guy is a good reviewer he basically summed up how i felt about the new air.

Alot of companies have caught up to build quality of apple in some places surpassing them but the price does not make sense for the air. So what will be the selling point for some people is mac osx and for me mac osx is no longer a necessity.

macOS and the Apple ecosystem will always be the selling point for me, especially since i own an iPhone and Apple Watch. The seamless integration between different Apple products is still undefeated to me. I built a gaming PC during the summer thinking it'll be my main computer to use and completely forget about my MBA, but i barely touched it and still used my MBA more, then i ended up selling the PC to my cousin. Yeah, it wasn't a Windows laptop, but i'm sure it would have been the same if i did buy a Windows laptop. And when i did use my PC, i kept wishing it came with iMessage, Reminders, Notes, etc. :lol:.

Anyways, just changed the battery to my late 2013 13" MacBook Air and now it runs like it did when i first bought it back in 2013. Here's the battery that i used if anyone is interested, https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1219802-REG/newertech_nwtbap13mba55_55_watt_hour_nupower.html

macOS and the Apple ecosystem will always be the selling point for me, especially since i own an iPhone and Apple Watch. The seamless integration between different Apple products is still undefeated to me. I built a gaming PC during the summer thinking it'll be my main computer to use and completely forget about my MBA, but i barely touched it and still used my MBA more, then i ended up selling the PC to my cousin. Yeah, it wasn't a Windows laptop, but i'm sure it would have been the same if i did buy a Windows laptop. And when i did use my PC, i kept wishing it came with iMessage, Reminders, Notes, etc. :lol:.

Anyways, just changed the battery to my late 2013 13" MacBook Air and now it runs like it did when i first bought it back in 2013. Here's the battery that i used if anyone is interested, https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1219802-REG/newertech_nwtbap13mba55_55_watt_hour_nupower.html

ever heard of hackintosh?

i own an apple watch and iphone as well but still dont need mac osx to use it you can basically manage the watch with your iphone.

But yea idk how you thought a desktop would replace a macbook air to totally different classes :lol:

i recently replaced my battery in my 2014 and bought a new charger going to give it to wifey i still think it maybe has a couple years left on it seeing apple still selling it for $1k on their website.

I’m actually thinking of building a Hackintosh, but the stability is what holds me back.

Anywhere online I can buy Microsoft Office 2016?

My Macbook Air is apparently too old to update to the new OS, so it can't run the newest version of Microsoft Office, which is the only one being sold anywhere.

I had a question, I recently bought a used Early 2015 Macbook Pro Retina 13" fully maxed out, 16GB ram and upgraded 1TB from the factory.
3.1 GHz (i7-5557U) dual-core Intel Core i7 Broadwell with 4 MB shared L3 cache

I purposely bought the last model that still had usb/hdmi ports with full specs.

But I'm starting to question my purchase as I plan to use this for photo and video editing.
The laptop being as old as it is, is using a 5th gen i7 processor.

I'm not tech savvy by any means, but the current gen Macbook base model first released 2016 features a 6th gen i5 processor.
2.0 GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 Skylake (6360U), up to 3.1 GHz, 4 MB L3 cache

Which computer is more powerful?

As well, just to throw it into the mix, how does the Mid 2015 Retina 15" fully maxed out compare?
2.8 GHz (i7-4980HQ) with 6 MB on-chip L3 cache and 128 MB L4 cache (Crystalwell)

I'm trying to see where the computing power lies and what would be best for me.

Last edited:
I also have a Mid 2012 Macbook Pro 13" (Fully Spec'd final model of this generation)
2.9 GHz (3520M) Intel Core i7 Ivy Bridge with 4 MB on-chip L3 cache

It too has an i7 but I find it hard to believe that a 3rd gen i7 from 2012 can compete with a 6th gen i5 processor from 2015.

Don't they all just feature two cores?

What is hyperthreading?

I know they introduced quad core in Early 2011 with the Macbook Pro 15".
2.0 GHz quad-core (2635QM) (15" only) or 2.2 GHz quad-core (2720QM)

Will an old quad core outproduce a newer dual core?

Back
Top Bottom