The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

Originally Posted by dapimpjuice4ya

Just copped a 27 inch iMac yesterday. This thing is ridiculous and I could not be any happier......I have officially crossed over to the darkside.
pimp.gif

I'm planning a move to the darkside just gotta get my money right.  I want the 27 inch iMac and I thought about customizing it to make it even faster, but I think I'm just gonna stick with the models they sell because I know absolutely nothing about computer parts.

Okay guys I need some help. I've just installed Peerguardian for Mac OSX and it won't let me add any lists or anything. Everytime I click the add lists button it gives me a little boink noise that I guess is some kind of error noise. I've used PG2 for Windows and this just seems more difficult to set-up. Can anyone help me with the set-up because it seems like the program isn't even working right now.

Originally Posted by LeroyTheGreat38

Just copped a 27 inch iMac yesterday. This thing is ridiculous and I could not be any happier......I have officially crossed over to the darkside.
pimp.gif

I'm planning a move to the darkside just gotta get my money right.  I want the 27 inch iMac and I thought about customizing it to make it even faster, but I think I'm just gonna stick with the models they sell because I know absolutely nothing about computer parts.

27-inch iMac
pimp.gif
Welcome to the club.

Originally Posted by LiveMyReality

Originally Posted by LeroyTheGreat38

pimp.gif

27-inch iMac
pimp.gif
Welcome to the club.

the dark side ?
laugh.gif

macs are the light side
pimp.gif

Buying a Macbook real soon, so I gotta know:

Which one would give me the most for my money?

With Macs being way overpriced (sad but true), I wanna know which one, at least, feels like it's giving me my money's worth.

I'm stuck between a MBP 13" or 15" (NO 17", that's just absurd
laugh.gif
), a MB Air, or just a regular MB. Any insight is appreciated.

Finally making the switch.
pimp.gif
Don't let me down.

Originally Posted by YUNG FLiP iMAGE

What's a good program to rip audio into .mp3 from YouTube videos?

I tried GetTube, but it doesn't work for some reason.
Get Firefox then get an addon called Youtube to MP3. I also use Realplayer Converter SOMETIMES to rip mp3 from YT vids. Speeds vary, Youtube to MP3 is less of a hassle.

Originally Posted by willsndvl

With Macs being way overpriced (sad but true), I wanna know which one, at least, feels like it's giving me my money's worth.

I'm stuck between a MBP 13" or 15" (NO 17", that's just absurd
laugh.gif
), a MB Air, or just a regular MB. Any insight is appreciated.

Finally making the switch.
pimp.gif
Don't let me down.

Get a 13" if you're just a moderate comp user. Had mine for a while now no viruses, OSX>>>Windows, and the design is sick.

Originally Posted by ExtRaOrDinaRy

What's a music player I can download for my macbook that's like CD Art Display for Windows?

Also how come I can't change the icon of certain applications like the Finder and HD but I can for Mozilla?

Look up Coversutra
Changing first party icons is a little bit more tricky for whatever reason. Try this
Originally Posted by digital022

Any idea how I can get my gmail linked up to send/receive through Entourage?

Mail uses a hell of a lot less resources than Entourage does, but have you checked the Gmail configuration instructions for Entourage to make sure your settings are correct? It's important to note that using POP with Gmail requires special ports to be used (995 and 587 for Entourage) and that not only must you configure this correctly in Entourage, you must ALSO make sure that your network (firewalls, etc.) is configured to allow traffic on these ports.
Originally Posted by sreggie101

safari or chrome. just got a mac and safari is running really fast. but when on my windows laptop ive been using chrome which was

so i ask: for mac, which is the best chrome or safari?

I prefer chrome to both Firefox and Safari, but i still use Firefox for it's Flashgot extension. Chrome uses the least resources out of the three, but some people prefer safari because it's a native application. If you have the RAM available, try out Safari and see how you like it. It's all personal preference.
Originally Posted by sole searchin

macbook pro 13' just bought.

I wanted to know what you guys thought was the best case/sleeve for it?

I'd rather go with a case then a sleeve but I dont wont any scratches or anything. Also where to purchase from, cheaper the better lol.

Never cheapen out on protection. My advice is you pick up an Incase sleeve. You can pair it with a Wrapsol or Invisible shield for case scratches, because sometimes dirt can get into the sleeve and rub against the polycarbonate/aluminum.
Originally Posted by Rayguns05

anyone know where i can get icon of street wear brands and all them other streetwear/shoes icons

Try DeviantArt Here's some to get you started. peep the Desktop thread for more icon sets

Okay guys I need some help. I've just installed Peerguardian for Mac OSX and it won't let me add any lists or anything. Everytime I click the add lists button it gives me a little boink noise that I guess is some kind of error noise. I've used PG2 for Windows and this just seems more difficult to set-up. Can anyone help me with the set-up because it seems like the program isn't even working right now.

I can't tell you much about PeerGuardian, but Little Snitch is the same type of prgram and it's a lot more simple to set up and use
Originally Posted by willsndvl

I'm stuck between a MBP 13" or 15" (NO 17", that's just absurd ), a MB Air, or just a regular MB. Any insight is appreciated.

Finally making the switch. Don't let me down.

For most people, the 13" is more than enough for their needs. The 15" doesn't really give you that much more screen real estate, but it does offer a better processor. That also comes at a $600 premium..so you have to ask...is it worth it?
I say buy refurbished to save some money. There's really no difference between that and a new one, other than the fact that it comes in a brown generic box. You can get a refurb 15" for very close to what you'll be paying for a brand new 13"
Do not get the macbook air. It's built for a very niche market...and if you're looking to "get your money's worth," it's not even worth throwing into the discussion. If you do go with the 13", i advise you get the aluminum over the polycarbonate. It will save you a world of headaches with cracking palm rests and discoloration.

Originally Posted by UNtroubled YOUTH

what's a good program for burning AVI's to play on DVD players?

you can do this with iDVD, Burn (Leopard and below only) or Roxio Toast. iDVD comes preinstalled, and Burn is freeware. Toast isn't.

Originally Posted by thegoat121886

you can do this with iDVD, Burn (Leopard and below only) or Roxio Toast. iDVD comes preinstalled, and Burn is freeware. Toast isn't.
nerd.gif
how do you do it with iDVD? i been trying for the past couple days and it will not work. I DL'd burn and it converts it to a mpeg but it burns a blank video
ohwell.gif
...Are there any other easy to use, free burners? thanks for the help

thanks, do you know how to do it exactly on Toast 10? I tried using the help tutorial but I still can't figure it out..

I need a application that can help me convert 3gpp video into hd so i can edit it in imovie, freeware will help shoot me a pm if you can.

thanks, do you know how to do it exactly on Toast 10? I tried using the help tutorial but I still can't figure it out..

I just have toast titanium but in video you want to burn click the DVD-Video and then drag the avi file into that
If you are backing up your collection and have it ripped then drag the Video_TS Folder into that section

Originally Posted by e22s

nerd.gif
how do you do it with iDVD? i been trying for the past couple days and it will not work. I DL'd burn and it converts it to a mpeg but it burns a blank video
ohwell.gif
...Are there any other easy to use, free burners? thanks for the help

1. Open iDVD
2. Click "Create New Project"
3. Save it.
4. Drag the video clip into iDVD.
5. If you don't want a menu, click View -> Show Map. Then, arrange the video clip before the menu, click it, click Advanced -> Loop.
6. Burn.

Burn is free, but if you have snow leopard it won't work.

Originally Posted by Alchemist IQ

I need a application that can help me convert 3gpp video into hd so i can edit it in imovie, freeware will help shoot me a pm if you can.

.3gp isnt HD at all, but if you want to edit it in iMovie, just open the file in Quicktime and export it to iMovie

Originally Posted by mpdaking

Originally Posted by CWrite78

Originally Posted by igotdemkickz21

Yo CWrite, let me know if you figure out what is wrong with your iChat. My girlfriend has a MBP (3 years old, but I don't know the specs off the top of my head), running osx10.4, and she says her iChat has never worked. Adium works, but it doesn't have video chat support, which sucks when we're both at school (long distance relationships ftl).

Also, got some questions for anyone with blackberry's and macs - not sure how well this will get answered, but I've got it posted somewhere else as well. I use to use pocketmac on my vzw bb curve (8330), but when I updated my curve to os4.5, pocketmac stopped working. It recognizes my phone and starts the sync, but everytime it gets to "synchronizing contacts" the status bar just stops moving. I've tried reinstalling pocketmac and downloading the new driver, but to no avail. Does anyone have any hints?

I was considering downloading some sort of Windows program to just run the regular Blackberry Software. How do people like VMware Fusion? It seems like its getting some good reviews so far, but does anyone want to offer their opinion on it? How much space does it take up? Also, what is the cost on it?

well, so far i've noticed that it's just when i send pictures/direct connect. i tried sending a song and i had no lock up or anything. weird, hopefullyi can find what's wrong.. gets pretty annoying.

anyway, my desk at the moment..
29dia92.jpg
put the time capsule under my macbook pro.
could you tell me where you got those wallpapers?
Who is the white dude with the black spotted face? Can i get the og?

Originally Posted by mpdaking

Originally Posted by CWrite78

Originally Posted by igotdemkickz21

Yo CWrite, let me know if you figure out what is wrong with your iChat. My girlfriend has a MBP (3 years old, but I don't know the specs off the top of my head), running osx10.4, and she says her iChat has never worked. Adium works, but it doesn't have video chat support, which sucks when we're both at school (long distance relationships ftl).

Also, got some questions for anyone with blackberry's and macs - not sure how well this will get answered, but I've got it posted somewhere else as well. I use to use pocketmac on my vzw bb curve (8330), but when I updated my curve to os4.5, pocketmac stopped working. It recognizes my phone and starts the sync, but everytime it gets to "synchronizing contacts" the status bar just stops moving. I've tried reinstalling pocketmac and downloading the new driver, but to no avail. Does anyone have any hints?

I was considering downloading some sort of Windows program to just run the regular Blackberry Software. How do people like VMware Fusion? It seems like its getting some good reviews so far, but does anyone want to offer their opinion on it? How much space does it take up? Also, what is the cost on it?

well, so far i've noticed that it's just when i send pictures/direct connect. i tried sending a song and i had no lock up or anything. weird, hopefullyi can find what's wrong.. gets pretty annoying.

anyway, my desk at the moment..
29dia92.jpg
put the time capsule under my macbook pro.
could you tell me where you got those wallpapers?
Who is the white dude with the black spotted face? Can i get the og?

Originally Posted by EAGLE 0N

Can anybody recommend me a good screen protector for a 15-inch mbp?

I never really found the need for screen protectors on laptops, but try Invisible Shield or Wrapsol

Back
Top Bottom