The Official Military Thread. Vol 1

U.S. Army 2 1/2 years in, just made E5, currently deployed in Afghanistan. In the Army and Marines (The Marines even moreso) every Soldier or Marine is trained on basic infantry tactics and weaponry, due to the nature of the work being conducted in hostile areas; everyone needs to understand how to defend themselves. However, I would hardly say that every Soldier is an 11B. When the bullets start flying, unless your life is an imminent danger, or you have a line of sight on the target, non-Combat Arms Soldiers generally bunker down and allow those guys to do what they are trained to do. Also, it is very unlikely that leadership will place a a Combat Support Soldier in the position of that of an 11B,13B, 13F etc. It just doesn't happen.

U.S. Army 2 1/2 years in, just made E5, currently deployed in Afghanistan. In the Army and Marines (The Marines even moreso) every Soldier or Marine is trained on basic infantry tactics and weaponry, due to the nature of the work being conducted in hostile areas; everyone needs to understand how to defend themselves. However, I would hardly say that every Soldier is an 11B. When the bullets start flying, unless your life is an imminent danger, or you have a line of sight on the target, non-Combat Arms Soldiers generally bunker down and allow those guys to do what they are trained to do. Also, it is very unlikely that leadership will place a a Combat Support Soldier in the position of that of an 11B,13B, 13F etc. It just doesn't happen.

Where are my fellow Devil Docs at? 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Mr Marcus

Originally Posted by jaywalker23

Air Force
Prior enlisted for 2 years
Air Force Academy Class of 2015

-As far as being pilot it's possible, I wouldn't recommend OTS as it is backed up for days due to the economy and usually they only get one slot per class who usually has some type of flying experience and scores high on the AFOQT in the aviation sections.
-My personal recommendation would be to do some type of ROTC program. Depending on the detachment the slots for pilots will varie. But from what i understand if you work hard and are involved with Detachment and have good grades it is certainly feasible. If you are young enough the service academies are an option and can pretty much guarantee you a pilot slot if you're medically qualified. However, that guarantee is paired with typical service academy BS.

There are flying jobs in the Air Force job that you can do as enlisted. I was a enlisted aviator on special operations version of a C-130 and had the time of my life. I was able to see the whole pacific rim, get buns for days, help out in relief efforts, and make more money then probably most at 20-21.
think my cousin is in the afc class of 2015 too 
pimp.gif
Tell him congrats man, due to budgeting and stuff they cut the incoming class back by like 400 slots. 

Originally Posted by Mr Marcus

Originally Posted by jaywalker23

Air Force
Prior enlisted for 2 years
Air Force Academy Class of 2015

-As far as being pilot it's possible, I wouldn't recommend OTS as it is backed up for days due to the economy and usually they only get one slot per class who usually has some type of flying experience and scores high on the AFOQT in the aviation sections.
-My personal recommendation would be to do some type of ROTC program. Depending on the detachment the slots for pilots will varie. But from what i understand if you work hard and are involved with Detachment and have good grades it is certainly feasible. If you are young enough the service academies are an option and can pretty much guarantee you a pilot slot if you're medically qualified. However, that guarantee is paired with typical service academy BS.

There are flying jobs in the Air Force job that you can do as enlisted. I was a enlisted aviator on special operations version of a C-130 and had the time of my life. I was able to see the whole pacific rim, get buns for days, help out in relief efforts, and make more money then probably most at 20-21.
think my cousin is in the afc class of 2015 too 
pimp.gif
Tell him congrats man, due to budgeting and stuff they cut the incoming class back by like 400 slots. 

-ARMY SMP cadet (Enlisted with an acceptance letter to a university, ROTC)
-drill with my unit one weekend per month, ROTC classes during the work week. C/O '12

-most likely getting a Medical Service commission because I'm already in a Med unit.

I'm in the Army. When people ask me about joining, I almost always say join the Air Force. Quality of life is better for the same pay.

-ARMY SMP cadet (Enlisted with an acceptance letter to a university, ROTC)
-drill with my unit one weekend per month, ROTC classes during the work week. C/O '12

-most likely getting a Medical Service commission because I'm already in a Med unit.

I'm in the Army. When people ask me about joining, I almost always say join the Air Force. Quality of life is better for the same pay.

im thinking of joining the army.

any pros and cons ? im 21 and really dont have nada going on.

im thinking of joining the army.

any pros and cons ? im 21 and really dont have nada going on.

everyone signing up or thinking about signing up please pick something you can do as a civilian job. So many people make this mistake and have trouble when they get out.

Back
Top Bottom