The Official Military Thread. Vol 1

Originally Posted by ME NO PASS

so far deciding between navy hospital corpsman and an airforce job

any corpsman on here?

Devildoc is a corpsman, and I'm a Marine who works with corpsman everyday, what do you wanna know?  I will tell you this, Corpsman are some of the most respected people in the military.  They get to tread the line of being Marines, but still live the Navy lifestyle...they get the best of both worlds. but its not easy at all

Originally Posted by solarius49

any corpsman on here?

Devildoc is a corpsman, and I'm a Marine who works with corpsman everyday, what do you wanna know?  I will tell you this, Corpsman are some of the most respected people in the military.  They get to tread the line of being Marines, but still live the Navy lifestyle...they get the best of both worlds. but its not easy at all

well i come from a medical background (CNA, LPN school) so id figure to try something i have experience in.

i heard male corpsman are very likely to be deployed and be in the field with the marines. is that true?

Originally Posted by jrdnsrnss

Originally Posted by taymane23

^Good post, yeah i've done so much research on joining the Air Force that i pretty much decided to go for it due to all of the pros. Did a lot of research on what jobs i want to do and all of them have pretty good paying salaries in the civilian world once i get out.

One thing i need clarifying though, do you get your job at MEPS after you get your physical or do you find out what job your getting at basic training? I've heard both so can anyone clarify? Thanks.

Most likely after you swear into the DEP program  at MEPS. That's when I got my job and ship date it took only a week and a half before they found me a job.
Thanks. So you give them the list of jobs you would like and they can only give you something on that list correct? Whether it's your #1 pick or your 8th pick?
Pretty much I've never heard otherwise just make sure all of your jobs are something that could be your #1 job, not just 2 or 3 that you might want 1 you want and the rest space fillers.

any corpsman on here?

well i come from a medical background (CNA, LPN school) so id figure to try something i have experience in.

i heard male corpsman are very likely to be deployed and be in the field with the marines. is that true?
Yes that is true.  But it should be said that all corpsman will spend sometime working with Marines.  They usually do 2 years blue side (in a Naval Hospital), and 2 years green side (working with Marines).  But even when they are with us, they get treated better than most Marines, because we need them so much.  But with your CNA background you shouldnt have too big a problem
also, being with Marines doesnt mean you would end up with an infantry unit.  I know Corpsman who are in helicopter crews, tank crews (dope job for corpsman), Light Armored Vehicles (LAV's) , Amphibious Armored Vehicles (AAV's), Recon, ect

Yes that is true.  But it should be said that all corpsman will spend sometime working with Marines.  They usually do 2 years blue side (in a Naval Hospital), and 2 years green side (working with Marines).  But even when they are with us, they get treated better than most Marines, because we need them so much.  But with your CNA background you shouldnt have too big a problem
also, being with Marines doesnt mean you would end up with an infantry unit.  I know Corpsman who are in helicopter crews, tank crews (dope job for corpsman), Light Armored Vehicles (LAV's) , Amphibious Armored Vehicles (AAV's), Recon, ect
i actually want to work with an infantry unit
laugh.gif

so do they spend times on the ships? and whats the possibility of getting stationed at a hospital overseas because i really wanna do the overseas thing (hence why im thinking about the AF)

For anyone in the Air Force or know anything about the jobs they have. I'm looking at mostly 3d jobs, specifically 3D0X3 cyber surety. I'm going this route instead of going back to school and pursuing a bachelors in computer science specifically something in network administration. Am i better off going Air Force or should i just go back to school and get a degree? I know a lot of these jobs in the civilian world will hire based on experience regardless of if you have a degree. I don't want to do four years in the military and when i get out find out i need to get a degree and end up having to go back to school in the end which basically puts me in the position i'm currently in. If i do i'll just start school again this fall. Thanks for any help.

i actually want to work with an infantry unit
laugh.gif

so do they spend times on the ships? and whats the possibility of getting stationed at a hospital overseas because i really wanna do the overseas thing (hence why im thinking about the AF)
Im pretty sure you can volunteer to go to a grunt unit.  Im a grunt, and Ive had a chance to work with some really highly decorated corpsman.  But a good thing about the Navy/Marines is that we deploy on ships pretty often.  This last deployment we trained in Jordan, Kuwait, Oman, Djbouti and Saudi Arabia...but we got liberty in Dubai, Thailand, Australia, Guam and Hawaii

jrdnsrnss check your PMs

^Good post, yeah i've done so much research on joining the Air Force that i pretty much decided to go for it due to all of the pros. Did a lot of research on what jobs i want to do and all of them have pretty good paying salaries in the civilian world once i get out.

One thing i need clarifying though, do you get your job at MEPS after you get your physical or do you find out what job your getting at basic training? I've heard both so can anyone clarify? Thanks.

....you get your job at MEPS or at Basic Training, but i cannot stress enough....DO NOT go in without a guaranteed job and pick one from basic training. (i appologize to anyone that done it this way), but thats one of the dumbest things you can do. picking your job once you get to basic puts you under the gun, you pretty much have to pick whats available. you might get lucky....you might not.

Originally Posted by MMG

Great post.

i wanted to do the MP route because i wanted to become a Cop/Corrections Officer when i get out.

I figured it goes hand in hand
nerd.gif

......i dont want to discourage anyone from joining, but im confused as to why you'd join the military just to be a cop or corrections officer when you get out, when you can do that right now without joining? unless there's some advantage im unaware of?
nerd.gif

...what im saying/asking is: if you get a job as a corrections officer today you'll start at the bottom ranks. if you had 4 or more years experience as a MP in the military dont you still start at the bottom? srs question.

Originally Posted by ATLsFinest

I'm going to Navy OCS for Supply Corp. Based on what I've researched and heard alot of these guys come out with high paying supply chain/logistics careers. Does the dead end nature of Supply apply to Officers as well?

Supply enlisted yes. Officers are a different ball game. ANY officer is walking right into a higher magement position. my comments were about enlisted careers only. however id still ask someone in that career field to be sure.

Originally Posted by ATLien Seeko

Difference between e1, e2 and e3?

...pay, experience, and rank.

....but out of those 3 the only thing that matters below e-5 is pay. after e-4 its a different story.

^Seasoned vet, do you know anything about the job or even my question a few posts ago? Thanks

....back when i was in the military the 3C's was the goto computer career field to try and get. not only did they pay well on the outside but they came with big bonuses because they couldnt keep people in them due to how much they could make on the outside.

...after doing a little research on the 3D AFSC i came across this:

3D - Cyberspace Support (activated on 1 November 2009, merging 2EXXX, 3AXXX, and 3CXXX)

...so yeah, thats a great choice. and you're right about the computer field mostly being concerned with experience over degrees.

...however, i would still try and find someone in that career field to talk to just in case.

....these sound like what you're looking for:

[*][*]3D0X2 - Cyber Systems Operations[*]3D0X3 - Cyber Surety (IA and COMSEC)[*]3D0X4 - Computer Systems Programming 

any corpsman on here?

I've been Navy for 17 years and the only drawback to the Corpsman rating is the advancement. The rate is full of people so it isn't that easy to advance.

Originally Posted by JoseBronx

^ interested in knowing as well please... I would like to become a firefighter after I get out

and what guides do you guys recommend? interested in joining the air force, or probably army
Well I would suggest doing your time before trying to figure out what you want to do afterwards...
But I get out in 3 months, and I have tons of options, everybody is trying to get out and be a firefighter or a cop, I'm taking that GI Bill and putting it to good use and going back to school.

I want to go to school to become a fire fighter now but I would like to join the armed forces and get the experience and training. Plus it look great on a resume. I get you tho because who knows if I decide to change my mind afterwards, but I kinda dont want to throw myself into any job either.
What kind of job should I be looking for that will help me towards my goal of becoming a fire fighter? 

^ interested in knowing as well please... I would like to become a firefighter after I get out

and what guides do you guys recommend? interested in joining the air force, or probably army
Well I would suggest doing your time before trying to figure out what you want to do afterwards...
But I get out in 3 months, and I have tons of options, everybody is trying to get out and be a firefighter or a cop, I'm taking that GI Bill and putting it to good use and going back to school.

I want to go to school to become a fire fighter now but I would like to join the armed forces and get the experience and training. Plus it look great on a resume. I get you tho because who knows if I decide to change my mind afterwards, but I kinda dont want to throw myself into any job either.
What kind of job should I be looking for that will help me towards my goal of becoming a fire fighter? 

....look for something in Emergency Management, something along the lines of an EMT would help too.

I was pursuing a firefighting career a few years ago and they all start by being EMT's. I took an EMT class and did ride alongs and stuff but decided it wasn't for me. Don't know how the firefighting program in the military works but i'm sure your gonna have to get licensed as an EMT. All firefighters, at least here in California, need to be trained as EMT's before they can become a firefighter.

im retraining into aircrew

i dont care how much money other jobs make on the outside, ive talked to some enlisted aviators and they shared some of their stories and it just made me 
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

plus they make a grand on top their base pay because of constant tdy's, flight pay etc....

doing a job that you love>>>>money

Originally Posted by blacktopking319

Definitely, if i had to pick my love i would be a pro cyclist but that's not really a reality
laugh.gif
. I'll just mess with computers, just so happens it pays pretty well in the civilian world.

Originally Posted by blacktopking319

im retraining into aircrew

i dont care how much money other jobs make on the outside, ive talked to some enlisted aviators and they shared some of their stories and it just made me 
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

plus they make a grand on top their base pay because of constant tdy's, flight pay etc....

what kinda stories?
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

About to join the Air Force in August...Any Air Force pilots here? If so what route did you take?

Crash Fire Rescue

Originally Posted by Hop

About to join the Air Force in August...Any Air Force pilots here? If so what route did you take?

I'm assuming you're going the officer route right?

@solarius49

Was planning on applying to be an officer after being enlisted for about a year and a half (to finish up college...) 

Back
Top Bottom