The Official Military Thread. Vol 1

Lol DOD takes care of me. It will also be transportation. I work in ordnance. But if I can get a gs 12 or 13....plus the retirement...i can retire (again) at 62 and collect ss plus everything I have thrown into TSP. I just want to make sure the fam is very comfortable. If I make warrent I'll reitre a w4 at 25 plus the gs job....we would be good.

And its true....I work with a couple 12's and 13's.....lol I want that gig....
I hear you ... I don't blame you ... I know the individual that I mentioned was making close to 200k a year in the private sector but he stated the amount of work and responsibility was driving sick .... So he said o rather make less do nothing and be happy...

Working for the gov really has some perks...

And at the same time upsets me because I know a lot of my tax dollars are wasted.

I just came off leave today....

I have been on NT since 735. I came in at 730...my work is done for the day. :smoking :smh:

But that's shore duty. Once I get back out to sea its a different beast.

How's it going fam? Never knew this thread existed and glad I found it. Looking to get any advice possible. Been in for about 3 1/2 years AD Army. I'm in my reenlistment window now and been stressing hard whether to stay in or not. I'm a 25U stationed in NC. I'm pretty sick of it tbh lol. But I've been told from a good amount of ppl to not judge the Army from my first duty station, especially being with the 82nd. I really want to get out and finish up school but I have a family to take care of. Not sure how difficult it will be to get a job with my background in IT and tactical radios. Also have a clearance. Home is northern California. I'm considering to give it another shot but only if I can pcs outta here lol. I've talked to my retention and tried putting a request for SF group support at  Ft. Lewis and Ft. Carson but no slots were available :frown: Really not alot of slots anywhere are available. My ets is this July btw. If i did get out I'd have a place to with my family so I'd be pocketing the BAH (about 1700) while being a full time student. I'd love to get out but am terrified it would be a huge struggle for my family and I. Sorry this is getting long. Thanks for any advice/tips/words of wisdom in advance. 

How's it going fam? Never knew this thread existed and glad I found it. Looking to get any advice possible. Been in for about 3 1/2 years AD Army. I'm in my reenlistment window now and been stressing hard whether to stay in or not. I'm a 25U stationed in NC. I'm pretty sick of it tbh lol. But I've been told from a good amount of ppl to not judge the Army from my first duty station, especially being with the 82nd. I really want to get out and finish up school but I have a family to take care of. Not sure how difficult it will be to get a job with my background in IT and tactical radios. Also have a clearance. Home is northern California. I'm considering to give it another shot but only if I can pcs outta here lol. I've talked to my retention and tried putting a request for SF group support at  Ft. Lewis and Ft. Carson but no slots were available :frown: Really not alot of slots anywhere are available. My ets is this July btw. If i did get out I'd have a place to with my family so I'd be pocketing the BAH (about 1700) while being a full time student. I'd love to get out but am terrified it would be a huge struggle for my family and I. Sorry this is getting long. Thanks for any advice/tips/words of wisdom in advance. 
I didn't know you were Army bro. You hooked me up last year with that Polo coupon, lol. Honestly weigh out your options. If you got out today would you be in a good place (job, financially, etc.). More often than not servicemen and women make the mistake of getting out too soon because of "little things" only to regret the decision. You're your own man but you also have to take into account that you have a family. That's what it's all about. I've yet to find another organization that'll provide what I'm getting now (there are a few but I'd rather retire from the military first). But all in all don't let your first enlistment leave a bad taste in your mouth (pause), think about it and also include your family in your decision as always. Hit me if you need anything I'm headed back to the States in a couple of weeks.

Cool. Air Traffic myself. I'm not sure what your schedule is like but hit me up whenever. I'm at the bra almost every night.

I was a 25B and was in your shoes in 2012 after my stints at 36th SIG and ARCENT. They were literally asking me to stay and I told them I wouldn't be reenlisting. Make sure you have a plan and what not. All I did while enlisted was get my Network Plus and Security Plus and applied to everything I was qualified for under USAJOBs. My first job getting out was a IT job over at Fort Jackson working at the NEC. 6 months after getting out, I took a GS-9 job out here in Mountain View (Saw you were from the Bay) in 2013 and recently took a GS-11 and now will be working for the DLA.

Not to say that getting out was the best decision, but careful planning and a little bit of luck certainly did help.

Hit me up in DM's if you need anything.

Last edited:
Best advice is have a plan, save some money, use TA as much as possible, etc.

I was talking to a SSgt the other day. DFAS was checking him for some reason and he was panicking like a mofo. I was like I get you're not getting a pay check. That'll get resolved but you're telling me you don't have any savings? Dude was like no.

Also if your job doesn't translate to civilian sector, research and figure out a new career path, use that G.I. Bill. Not saying ish doesn't happen but it breaks my heart seeing a vet on the side of the road holding a sign.

Last edited:
Hey guys I'm seriously giving thought on joining the Air Force, I just want your guys opinion on it, pros and cons. And is 21 to late to join

I'm 21 in community college about to graduate in liberal arts and I hope to transfer to a 4 year school to do nursing, the Air Force is something I always wanted to do. Although I'm in school, I feel like I'm not doing nothing with my life I still live w/ my parents, I got a decent job but i want more in life. and I figured the Air Force could help w\ tuition.
Any advice is welcomed
Thanks guys

i hope you guys are taking advantage of the Servicemember's Civil Relief Act.................................my AMEX Platinum Annual Fee of $495 Waived :smokin :smokin

Last edited:
I joined at 24. Sigh, can't retire until 44/45, lol. My body wishes I joined at 18 but I wouldn't change a thing.

For my folks using TSP,

Make sure you aren't just letting your money stay idle in the G fund...

C S and I funds are giving much better returns.

The I fund is iffy but C and S are killing right now.

Not telling you what to do just giving you Idea's. Let this money work for you!

I'm definitely looking at switching from the g fund. Especially since it's looking like a 20 year run for me.

Just make sure you monitor the funds monthly. The only good thing about the G account is you can't lose money.

But the C fund is at about 10% and the S fund is 5% while the G fund is 2. I give 10% of my pay to TSP. 2% to G 4 and 4 to C and S fund. Kinda iffy on the I fund right now.

I have been on TSP since it started in 2001. Wish I would have paid more attention I could have doubled what I had in there by now.

I'm about to hit 14 and probably have 10 left until I retire depending on if I pick up CWO.

I was slacking on getting mine started. Been in for over 6, but didn't start contributing until 2 years ago. Still angers me when I think about it.

check out the tsptalk website. it's an unofficial tsp site but it's very user friendly and there's a forum board that can answer any question regarding investing.

I got 60 % in L2050 and 20% in s fund, and 20% in C Fund.  Been good to me recently.  Been doing it for 6 years now...wish I had started when I first joined...would be double what it is by now

Last edited:
ETS date is approaching fam. A whole lot of mixed emotions. Was considering reenlisting but it pretty much came down to me not seeing myself doing this as a career. Ultimately my heart just ain't with it. I rather not waste anymore time and get back and finish school. Yeah I could do classes while I'm in but the fact of the matter is, with my unit at least, we train all the time. The last thing I want to do after a work day is do classes and hw. It'll take me forever to finish lol.  Don't get me wrong, the military has been okay. They def took care of my fam and I. I feel like its time to embark on a new chapter in life. I plan on doing school full time and possibly doing reserves. Bout to start ACAP'ing in a few weeks. Would love to hear how the transitions been for anyone in here. Thanks in advance.

I rather not waste anymore time and get back and finish school. Yeah I could do classes while I'm in but the fact of the matter is, with my unit at least, we train all the time. The last thing I want to do after a work day is do classes and hw. It'll take me forever to finish lol.

aye
i tried to tell some of these cats on here what you just said

going to school while you're in isnt easy

sure it can be done
thats if you have the drive to do it on top of work

then if your work schedule allows you enough time to go

its best to get your education before you get in, or pick the best job possible to put you in a good position once you get out

Back
Top Bottom