The Official NBA Season Thread

What if drafting a kid that early who’s not ready at all mentally or skillfully actually leads him to failure?

img_13914858.jpg

Probably the biggest child star prodigy of this IG fame & pre NBA success stories is the youngest Ball brother. Didn’t son enter the NBA with a yuuuge purse already?

Yes, there are still those names who ultimately don’t have what it takes and flame out. This should challenge teams & their scouts to do better.

If you have the talent, the opportunity will always be there. It’s the really good ones that end up sticking around.

That story is old as time

Old heads are worried about dudes like Ndudi Ebi taking their spot. I do think NIL deals prevent a bunch of those types of prospects from entering early though.

It's just sad to me to see that older players who already made their millions would use their influence to protect themselves rather than give young kids a chance. Lowering the draft age isn't gonna make GMs get rid of their entire roster for 18 years olds.
Eh, this is a garbage argument IMO. The guys who would be losing these spots aren’t the superstars who have made hundreds of millions of dollars. They’re the lower to middle class NBA guys who of course are trying to maximize their earnings. With the economics of having guys on cheaper contracts, plus the two-way deals with the G League — they’re absolutely at risk by the league lowering the limit. They should absolutely be thinking about their interests here.

They should compete instead of trying to screw over young prospects out of fear. It's not about the money, it's about the selfishness.
It’s not about competition, though. A lot of teams are more willing to take a flier on a young guy with upside over valuing what a vet can bring to a team. It’s not a competition argument at all. You can’t dismiss the money aspect because of course a team from a financial standpoint (especially if tax considerations are involved) would rather have the cheaper player.

It’s not about competition, though. A lot of teams are more willing to take a flier on a young guy with upside over valuing what a vet can bring to a team. It’s not a competition argument at all.
You just described competition between potential value and known value. Teams make that decision already with people 19 & up. Players would rather rob time from kids than admit theirs is up.

Reactions: HIM
You just described competition between potential value and known value. Teams make that decision already with people 19 & up. Players would rather rob time from kids than admit theirs is up.
so now collectively bargaining with your interests in mind = not admitting your time is up? I guess. When you have a league with 450 guys and a salary cap, with slotted salaries based on accomplishments and tenure, then of course there are going to be different interests across different classes of players. If you want more teams like Houston that are even more devoid of vets to teach guys how to be pros, than more power to you. That is an overall net negative for the league.

Have no problem with guys thinking big picture about how this will affect vets who aren’t superstars because as we’ve seen the superstars drove the CBA discussions over the last decade and things tilted heavily in their favor at the expense of the lower/middle class. Nobody was going at Bron/CP for their selfishness in giving up the longer term deals so they can max out earnings potential and strong arm management for trade requests.

No issue on my end with this group of guys thinking about their own interests as well.

Last edited:
Teams are going to be alotted a “Veteran Presence Contract” aka the Udonis Haslem Rule and it will be fine. Just one more roster spot. At ~$2MM (UD’s salary), teams can afford it.

JB made those Tatums look like an Air Jordan. Unfortunately a bad Air Jordan from the 2011 period.

I propose a 4-year degree for draft eligibility and a dedicated roster spot for players over 40

I mean some sort of roster exceptions are the only way I could see them lowering the age and keeping the tenured players happy so you may be onto something.

I fall with the majority on this one though - given the numerous options teens have to make money while still working on their craft prior to entering the draft, I think this is less of an issue than it was the last time teens were draft eligible.

Back
Top Bottom