--- THE OFFICIAL NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS THREAD --- OFFSEASON THREAD

What Are You Concerned About Heading Into This Season???

• Brady turning 40

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Safety

• Gostkowski

• Total voters
DeadsetAce DeadsetAce

Have you checked out Boston Sports Journal yet? Is it worth the subscription :nerd:

I've always liked Bedard.

literally signed up 2 days ago, man. so far i'm a fan but again, it's only been 2 days. he has some real good film breakdowns he uses. i was hoping they would let you do more of a trial period but i figured i would use my college email which i still have and sign up for a year :lol:

and if you're a bruins, celtics, and sox guy as well...plenty of coverage there too.

So many bonehead plays on defense.

Dola ballin out. This is what I expected of him when we signed him 4 years ago :lol:

Last edited:
Sooooo many dumb penalties. This team shows a lack of discipline during crucial plays. For the most part, the defense did play better than they have been, but Tampa’s offense wasn’t executing. The offensive line is atrocious and getting Brady hit way too many times. Solder is either hurt or just washed.

Dola though :pimp:

accidentally posted this in the nfl thread:

coming outta the carolina game with a short week and late change to the game plan with gronk being deactivated, we just needed to survive and get the **** back to NE in one piece. we did it. barely. brady took some big hits tonight so hopefully no lingering and lasting effects. but god damn, what an ugly game.

the penalties were so bad and continue to be a problem. we gave them 4 first downs on penalties. unacceptable. the offensive line let Brady get killed tonight. although the one HUGE shot he took where he got sandwiched, there's a chance that might have been on him? not sure if someone blew an assignement or he just didn't adjust the blocking scheme for that rusher.

10 days to regroup and then take on the jete.

Sooooo many dumb penalties. This team shows a lack of discipline during crucial plays. For the most part, the defense did play better than they have been, but Tampa’s offense wasn’t executing. The offensive line is atrocious and getting Brady hit way too many times. Solder is either hurt or just washed.

Dola though :pimp:

Yeah Tampa's offense was bad at times. Lots of dropped balls and Jameis missing open dudes. Like you said, defense played better than they have been (tough to get worse lol) but I don't feel too warm and fuzzy inside about it since Tampa was pretty bad.

Head scratcher with BB electing to punt instead of letting Gost hit that ~50 yard FG....

Head scratcher with BB electing to punt instead of letting Gost hit that ~50 yard FG....

was talking about this with my homie. based on gostkowski's performance this year, no reason to doubt him. legit think BB didn't think Tampa could drive the field twice. so no reason to risk giving them a short field.

but even with the win, that move is questionable, man. they essentially ended up driving the field twice and almost beat us :lol:

How long was that FG going to be? I’m guessing Ernie was in Bill’s ear for that one :lol:

I’m glad Ghost found his groove again. I was thinking Bill didn’t have confidence in him for that FG, but like y’all said, it was more so playing the odds that TB couldn’t score on two drives.

So what’s the deal with Dwayne Allen? If Gronk misses time, we legit don’t have anyone Brady trusts at TE. Not only does Allen not have a catch this season, he can’t block for ****.

Hindsight is 20/20, but it almost seems like we would have been better off paying Logan Ryan and Martellus to at least have some consistency with those positions. Martellus looks healthier this year too.

yeah Allen's been pretty useless :lol: that kid Hollister showed some promise but looks like he hasn't found the consistency or his groove yet. i think a big part of last night not looking so hot was the late Gronk injury. still seems weird how it happened so late in the week but i think they really had to change things up last minute.

Had to look it up, we were at the TB 33 with 10:49 left in the 4th when we elected to punt instead of attempt the FG. Dunno man, just seemed odd with only a 9 point lead. But he's the GOAT and I'm just a pleb so I'll trust him :lol:

Yeah Allen has been 100% worthless so far. Bummed about that, I thought he was gonna be a solid pickup.

Also the white on white combo got a thumbs down from me, what'd you guys think?

Yeah very Ugly first half. I know there were players out in the pass defense but man it wasn't looking good.
Crazy to be the #1 offensive team in the NFL and also be dead last #32 in defense. WTH?? :ohwell:

This team still has a long way to go from being where they need to be and they haven't put together great efforts on offense and defense in a game. Defensively, we still gave up 300 yards for the 6th straight game and we let McCown get whatever he wanted in the 1st half. Butler whiffed and gave up a TD, but that appeared to be bad technique on his end and I believe he acknowledged it. However, it was good to see the two picks and sacks from Hightower, Van Noy and Brown. I saw someone mention that we lead the league in "almost sacks" and I laughed at that because it's so true. I've never seen so many missed sacks, but at the very least, the pressure is getting there; it seems like we're having to send CB blitzes to generate that pressure though.

Also, I liked what I saw in terms of stopping the run and getting 3rd down stops. I don't really care if we're talking about stopping Elijah McGuire and Matt Forte; I'm not taking anything for granted and getting stops is good to see regardless of the opponent at this point.

Brady had some questionable throws in this game like throwing into triple coverage, the dropped INT on the out route to Gronk and the INT which I believe was an attempt to Dorsett, but he still came through in the end. Him stepping up in the pocket and throwing darts is a thing of beauty :pimp:

Last edited:
7th Chamber 7th Chamber coming through with the vids to support the post :pimp:

The defense is coming along but very slowly. On the surface it looks pretty terrible still. But trending up from a points allowed standpoint. I can’t knock too much yesterday. They kept us in it when the game could have gotten REAL ugly.

Not the best day from the offense. They’ve slowed a bit after a great start to the year. But not concerned. Never will be as long as TB12 is “healthy” and playing. Gillislee to the bench with a quickness after that fumble :lol:

And that dime to Cooks that Brady dropped in down to the one or two...****ing sexy. Great throw and amazing catch.

Hoody's comments were on point today, basically laughed off folks expecting the squad to look now through 6 weeks the way they'll look at the end of the season heading into the playoffs. Still a lot of football left to be played for the squad to start hitting that gear.

Atlanta's gonna be real big test for seeing where they're at right now. I'm scared of all that speed they have on offense though, the defense looked better in the 2nd half yesterday but ATL's offense is a whole other animal. Can't let them get off to another fast start like in the SB.

On the Patriots: it’s becoming painfully obvious that if they do reach or win a Super Bowl this season, even with contenders suffering season-ending injuries at an alarming rate, it’s going to be a fight each and every week, and in the postseason. We started the season comparing the 2017 Patriots to the ’07 version. They’re really closer to the ’11 squad. Hopefully, for their sake, they are also a few Lee Evanses and Billy Cundiffs along the way as well. They’re probably going to need them

Sums it up

7th Chamber 7th Chamber

And that dime to Cooks that Brady dropped in down to the one or two...****ing sexy. Great throw and amazing catch.

:pimp:

Hoody's comments were on point today, basically laughed off folks expecting the squad to look now through 6 weeks the way they'll look at the end of the season heading into the playoffs. Still a lot of football left to be played for the squad to start hitting that gear.

Exactly. I mean it makes sense, but this is a "show me now" league where you expect to see results immediately. The amount of reps and practices that you have by the time you reach week 10 or so is way more work than you're able to put in through training camp and pre-season.

This Atlanta game will be a good test to see where we're really at on both sides of the ball.

On another note, I read that Malcolm Mitchell is nowhere close to being able to practice. Have y'all heard anything different? It'd be great to get Brady another weapon that he trusts out there.

thoughts on claiming Bowman from SF?
*EDIT
He signed with the Raiders, but below were my thoughts on him.

I don't think he's coming here. I'm all for depth, but he's an aging LB that isn't great in coverage. He's still a sure tackler and can probably stuff the middle, but I question his ability to get to the edge and stop faster RBs. Hoody tends to like players that are versatile, and Bowman seems limited in what he can bring to the table at his age. On top of that, I think we'd still have to take on his salary. I believe on F&M they mentioned that we'd be getting his name rather than the beast he used to be.

With all of that being said, I'll take whatever help we can get on defense :lol:

7th Chamber 7th Chamber did you (or any of the other homies in here) get a subscription to BSJ yet? Bedard's video breakdowns are pretty damn slick. i had posted after the game that i thought the defense was at least trending up....nope. his film breakdown exposes some HUGE issues we're still having. it was mostly just the Jets and Josh McNown beating themselves :lol:

7th Chamber 7th Chamber did you (or any of the other homies in here) get a subscription to BSJ yet? Bedard's video breakdowns are pretty damn slick. i had posted after the game that i thought the defense was at least trending up....nope. his film breakdown exposes some HUGE issues we're still having. it was mostly just the Jets and Josh McNown beating themselves :lol:

Not yet; I actually totally forgot about it. I'll probably get a subscription today and check it out.

That's somewhat disappointing to hear about the defense though as I felt they were trending up as well. Paul Perillo on F&M said that the Patriots are pretty much another good team; nothing more, nothing less. I think that's an accurate description, but this game against the Falcons will show us how worried we actually need to be. It might be tough to gauge without Gilmore if he's out, but it still seems like there are blown coverages or receivers getting wide open multiple times a game. If the defense gets beat, so be it, but I'd rather that happen than receivers not getting covered at all. If this continues, what can be changed or is it a matter of just working through the problems?

Back
Top Bottom