The Official Off-Season NBA Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that true? I feel like I know of some well thought of Canadian schools based on what type of cache they have in the US. Especially law firms

there are definitely schools that are highly regarded for specific fields.

so like for law the osgoode school at york
or like math or engineering, Waterloo is generally considered "the best"

and there are schools that considered a little "better" than others.

but the thing is the average Canadian is not aware of these differences.
like a truck driver knows that Harvard, yale are "good" schools.

but in Canada the difference between the fancy school and the regular school is not big enough
for the average person to differentiate. so it's just not really a flex.

Harvard law for example means something to everyone.
Osgoode law means nothing to anyone but law students.

and Canadians don't really donate to their schools, nobody cares about college sports,
so the im a "xyz alumn" means nothing to most people. once school is over, it's over.

Like I as a Canadian, through popular culture I have absorbed like a vague rankings of American schools.
because yall talk about it so much. :lol:

I kind of vaguely know that Tulane and North Western are considered fancy (right?)
i don't know where those schools are what they do, or who goes there but in my mind I think of them as being fancier than say

ohio state or rutgers.

I could not do that as easily with Canadian schools and i live here. :lol:

This whole "greatest peaks" conversation is what started this. Tim Duncan has one of the few true carry jobs in the NBA Finals that has ever happened.

Even as a Lakers fan, I will admit that Tim Duncan is often overlooked. Part of it is the fact that he didn't play a particularly exciting brand of basketball, it was all fundamentals. He had virtually no impact off the court and wasn't a media darling who gave great quotes.

When you look at the other players in the top 10, they all influenced basketball culture or changed the game in some way. Duncan is the only guy in the top 10 who didn't have that type of impact.

there are definitely schools that are highly regarded for specific fields.

so like for law the osgoode school at york
or like math or engineering, Waterloo is generally considered "the best"

and there are schools that considered a little "better" than others.

but the thing is the average Canadian is not aware of these differences.
like a truck driver knows that Harvard, yale are "good" schools.

but in Canada the difference between the fancy school and the regular school is not big enough
for the average person to differentiate. so it's just not really a flex.

Harvard law for example means something to everyone.
Osgoode law means nothing to anyone but law students.

and Canadians don't really donate to their schools, nobody cares about college sports,
so the im a "xyz alumn" means nothing to most people. once school is over, it's over.
I read this and think THIS is weird, cause I can tell you where all 9 of the people I work with daily went to school. America definitely places an unnecessary amount of importance on it, as if 95% of college degrees arent the same, but people just not bringing it up at all is odd.

I have family in Canada so I knew of Waterloo and the supposed prestige.

I read this and think THIS is weird, cause I can tell you where all 9 of the people I work with daily went to school.

I have family in Canada so I knew of Waterloo and the supposed prestige.

see yah this is the dif I don't know where literally any of my coworkers went to school. in any of my jobs.
we were hiring recently, we didn't for one second stop and say what school did they go to?

I work in a creative field so its more portfolio based, but even when we were looking for like a project manager,
no one said "oh wow they went to xyz school"

and waterloo is known for math and engineering, the "prestige" doesn't really extend beyond that.
like if you were in a room full of people and you said you went to Waterloo,

unless its a room full of computer science engineers nobody will care.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t consider Tulane fancy. Good med school. Northwestern is an elite school though.

ah i see, but you get what I mean right?
I don't know where north western even is, and I kinda know it's "good"
whatever that means.

but in canada unless you are in a specific field and you def wouldn't know or care about what school someone went to.
I only know that Osgoode is a nice law school because I have family who went to law school.
I know about waterloo really because the RIM, Blackberry guys went there.

whatever that means.

but in canada unless you are in a specific field and you def wouldn't know or care about what school someone went to.
I only know that Osgoode is a nice law school because I have family who went to law school.

I’m guessing that the way it works in Canada on this is representative of the world at large and that the US is an outlier.

I know that Oxford and Cambridge are considered elite schools in the UK and there’s prestige in being affiliated with them, but my impression is that other than those two, it’s all the same.

I could be completely wrong on this though.

Last edited:
whatever that means.

What about McGill and Carleton?

The philippines adopting the us college system is so trash too tbh. It ****** up our sports development a lot as well since doing well in HS, College leagues are more important than it should be.

What about McGill and Carleton?

McGill yah it's considered a little better, especially the law school/medical school,
but I promise you unless you're in one of those fields as Canadian you don't know or care.

saying you went to McGill means nothing to 95% of the population.

Carleton? I was there, I certainly did not feel like I was going some place particularly fancy. :lol:
and if i mentioned it to my co-workers I would be met with blank stares

I believe it's got the best journalism school in the country??
but that's a dying industry and I promise you no one knows that except journalism students.

i only know that because I was considering it but then I realized you need to be able to spell and not make typos to be a journalist. :lol:

:pimp:

RJ will probably start the season on last year’s averages and see a little uptick later on. Not seeing a big scoring jump as I’d hoped, but he’s applying himself in so many other ways that the kid is worth waiting for (& watching of course).

I see a concerted effort to utilize the dribble pull up in the midrange. He’s working on the handles & becoming a better complimentary playmaker to Juju. 5 & 5 for rebounds and assists this year.

With the amount of threes I see being jacked this year tho, that 20, 5, 5 isn’t really much of a stretch. Truthfully, all three 1st options could average 20 this year.

Don’t look now but 4th yr Barrett on on a top seed NYK will be ready to claim MIP.

:pimp:

RJ will probably start the season on last year’s averages and see a little uptick later on. Not seeing a big scoring jump as I’d hoped, but he’s applying himself in so many other ways that the kid is worth waiting for (& watching of course).

I see a concerted effort to utilize the dribble pull up in the midrange. He’s working on the handles & becoming a better complimentary playmaker to Juju. 5 & 5 for rebounds and assists this year.

With the amount of threes I see being jacked this year tho, that 20, 5, 5 isn’t really much of a stretch. Truthfully, all three 1st options could average 20 this year.

Don’t look now but 4th yr Barrett on on a top seed NYK will be ready to claim MIP.

RJ prob doesn't have the athleticism to be a true star, but he's a insane worker
whatever ceiling he has, you know he's going to max it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom