The Official Tennis Thread (Vol. 2024 French Open)

Holy $&*%... whatta point to break for 5-3.

EDIT ~ This match has been so up-and-down, but more down for Rafa. Great stuff at the end of the 1st, but just too many errors by Rafa.  Nole's sharp, but hasn't been spectacular... doesn't need to be. 

EDIT 2

Wow, Nole taking it up a level with his retrieval.  Rafa with no answers. 

EDIT 3

9/23 winners/unforced errors by Rafa... not good at all. Forehand was all over the place.  Still... can't take away from the ridiculous year he's had. 

Last edited:
^ LOL, Stupid-Djoker was stupid-all-over Rafa... returned so well, deep ground-strokes pinned Rafa way back and retrieved everything.  Did to Rafa what Rafa usually does to his opponents!  Shame Rafa was so mediocre, but it won't take anything away from his 2013 campaign. 

Pretty good analysis... except for the racquet-technology part.  I think string-technology has been more influential. 

Last edited:
BY4HDuWIEAElBBP.jpg:large

Excellent year guys. I anticipate this thread will be dead until January thanks for making this thread work.

^ Still got the Davis Cup final! 

Barclays+ATP+World+Tour+Finals+Day+8+wLe0YFc0PHCx.jpg

Really, you don't teach traditional forehand follow-thrus like this! LOL  But hey, it works...

Barclays+ATP+World+Tour+Finals+Day+8+7NAzKV3L9dqx.jpg

Barclays+ATP+World+Tour+Finals+Day+8+it6ME-ZfHUKx.jpg

Barclays+ATP+World+Tour+Finals+Day+8+txlPFdN1E61x.jpg

Last edited:
^ LOL, Stupid-Djoker was stupid-all-over Rafa... returned so well, deep ground-strokes pinned Rafa way back and retrieved everything.  Did to Rafa what Rafa usually does to his opponents!  Shame Rafa was so mediocre, but it won't take anything away from his 2013 campaign. 

Pretty good analysis... except for the racquet-technology part.  I think string-technology has been more influential. 

You're not kidding. I just got back to play after about an 8 year layoff this past spring. I bought a new (older model) Babolat Pure Drive Roddick GT + and went with the free hurricane string from tennis-warehouse.com. I strung at my normal tension at 58-60 lbs. I was sore! I chalked it up to being away for so long. Then I realized the soreness just would not go away. I finally went to an old tennis shop I used to frequent and they broke down poly strings to me. I was like....WTF is a poly string? You mean there isn't just nat gut and synth gut anymore? He re-strung the racket down to like 52lbs. Back when I played in high school...I'd be spraying all over the place if I used that tension.

I could not believe some of my shots staying in the court.

Anyone here play? What kind of set ups you guys using?

I have since went away from the roddick gt + and bought a Prince Triple Threat Warrior MP. Have 17g volkl cyclone strung at 54 in the mains and synthetic gut 16g at 58 in the crosses.

Lead at 3-9 as well as under my grip in the handle.

I am looking at those new Yonex Ai racquets that just came out. Very curious about them.

Way back when I used to use the Wilson hammer 6.2 and then switched to a pro-staff surge X 5.1

^ Nice that you got back into the game!  Are you on TalkTennis?  

I started playing in the early 90's... back when stickers were a lot heavier and flexier.  Used the POG for most of my playing days, though I did switch to the Donnay Pro-One on and off (Hey, I'm an Agassi fan), but both sticks are very similar anyway.  

But man, you couldn't have picked a un-arm-friendly combination!  Bab's are known to be quite stiff... plus a tight bed of poly!?  I feel your pain!  I grew up with the natural/synthetic guts, so I also string in that range (low 60's), but guys who go with full-poly now are into 50lbs and lower.  Fed strings his gut/poly hybrid at 45!

Anyway, I'm still playing with the POG OS, but just got the Graphite 100.  I've been wanting a Graphite in that spec for a while now, so I'm glad Prince finally decided to do it.  It's a little too headlight for me right now, so I'll have to tinker with some lead as well.  

I dunno, but I'm just not liking any of the current racquets.  They all seem to be lighter and stiffer... I guess to be more maneuverable and stiff, favoring the guys now that hit with a lot of spin.  I hit a more flatter ball, so I guess the "old school" setups suit me more.  My Graphite 100 is strung with Prince Premier LT 18, which is a multi.  I don't really dabble that much with poly cuz I don't need the spin-benefits, but will eventually try a low-tension poly just to see what it feels like. Lol. 

Latest pick-up.

^ Yeah I am on Talk Tennis. Its actually how I found out how much of the equipment has changed. I found it real funny that I bought a relatively newer racket with the PDR GT and ended up playing with a more classic feeling racket in the TT warrior. (It helped that it was on happy hour.)

None of the newer rackets really appeal to me except for the new 6.1 95s and that yonex Ezone Ai 98.

I remember a friend how is playing with me on the same team (both back to playing. After convincing him.) demoing several sticks. We had a blast demoing the old Pete Sampras Pro staff. I was mis-hitting like a mother though with that and the current federer stick. :lol:

2014 Majors will be epic. Rafa, Nole setting the tone. Roger showing what he's got left. Muzz needing to elevate his game. Ferrer, Tsonga, Berdych, Almagro, Stan.

Nishikori and Raonic turning a corner, hopefully.

Serena's season will depend on her health and her mental strength. I felt like her health and mental strength let her down at the Oz Open and Wimbledon but despite those losses she still came away with 3 of the 5 biggest titles of the year. I expect that we see a very motivated Serena this year as she is only 1 slam away from tying Chrissy and Martina N. As long as she stays healthy I see her winning at least two grand slams next year (I'm guessing the Oz Open and Wimbledon).

I would like to see Delpo elevate his game next year.

Any WTA followers here?
If Delpo can sort his racquet situation out, he'll be even better next season.  Sadly for Ferrer, I think he'll start dropping back.  He's getting older and it's becoming more difficult for him to grind out all these matches.  I also hope to see Jo-Willy coming back stronger... injuries suck.  As for the kiddies... Milos, Grigor and Kei... but who will come out on top?

I try to follow the WTA as best as I can, but it's still mostly ATP for me.  And Ana, of course. 

Serena's season will depend on her health and her mental strength. I felt like her health and mental strength let her down at the Oz Open and Wimbledon but despite those losses she still came away with 3 of the 5 biggest titles of the year. I expect that we see a very motivated Serena this year as she is only 1 slam away from tying Chrissy and Martina N. As long as she stays healthy I see her winning at least two grand slams next year (I'm guessing the Oz Open and Wimbledon).

I go with Oz, Wimbledon and US Open. You think Vika has a chance against her this year?

Also, do they air those exhibition and charity matches on like the tennis channel? If they even have any. Or anyone know of one coming up?

Outside of Serena, Vika is my favorite female player. With that said, Vika is an absolute beast on hardcourts as she takes the back really early and her ground stokes are deep. Before Serena almost died, I thought she was top 5 in mental toughness of any athlete I've ever seen. After her brush with death, she isn't nearly as strong mentally and a player like Vika will always give her trouble on the hard courts due in part to Vika 's game and partly due to Serena 's mental focus. I think Vika has an excellent shot of winning the Oz open or the US open.

Even though I pick Serena to win it. I'd love to see Vika when USO.

I'm a pretty big fan of Vika myself.

Last edited:
I like Li as well. Carlos Rodriguez is a great coach and I see her taking the next step in 2014.

Hopefully a new coach will help her with her inconsistencies and her mental toughness. If I recall, she is one of the few players in the top 20 that hasn't been to a final. Not a positive sign for her going forward.

Hmmm...Will be interesting to see what kind of year she has with a coaching change.

On another note. Having a slump. I almost snapped my racket in half. Needless to say I am done with the Prince TT Warrior and have since gone back to the Bab Pure Drive Roddick GT. Why I even tried to change is beyond me.

Getting ready for spring already! lol.

On another note. Having a slump. I almost snapped my racket in half. Needless to say I am done with the Prince TT Warrior and have since gone back to the Bab Pure Drive Roddick GT. Why I even tried to change is beyond me.

Getting ready for spring already! lol.
Seriously!?!?!  Damn!!!  Go demo the new Prince's... POG 100 & Response!

Back
Top Bottom