The Official The-Dream "Love King" Album Discussion Thread

I gotta say, the dopest Dream song is "She Needs My Love". In second place comes "Right side of ya brain".

1st go around the music was too synthesized for me, seemed real generic, lyrics were past dumbed down, gotta get it another spin, preferably in the car

Originally Posted by ILLIONAIRE

Love vs. Money, for me, can be played from "Put It Down" right to "Kelly's 12 Play" with no skips. That's 9 solid songs. How is Love vs. Money not better than Love/Hate? The new album also has a good bunch of songs you can listen all the way through.
Agree with all of this. LvM definitely has a long stretch of solid music. Such a cohesive album.

It's my favorite Dream album. But LK is creeping up.

LH is in last place. As mentioned by a few already, it just has way too many skips imo.

Originally Posted by SHUGES

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

and Love Hate has WAY to many tracks that i skip so for me Love money and now Love King are better then that.
We can finally agree on something.
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
roll.gif
 Tmac still sucks

Love the new album. FILA, Turnt Out, Panties to the Side, February Love, Priceless, Sorry, Take Care of Me, Love King, and Veteran are all bananas.

I can't skip ONE song on Love-Hate

Fancy is one of the most overrated songs I've heard this message board promote.

Its great and hell it spawned another hit for Fab/Drake but its not where ya'll say it is. Sure it had all those musical compositions but ya'll are giving it way too much. It wasn't as epic as all 7 minutes would lead you to believe.

Originally Posted by OptimusPrimeAPhiA

Its great and hell it spawned another hit for Fab/Drake but its not where ya'll say it is. Sure it had all those musical compositions but ya'll are giving it way too much. It wasn't as epic as all 7 minutes would lead you to believe.

Anyway, am I the only one that notices how hard "Sex Intelligent (Remix)" goes?
sick.gif

Optimus you dead wrong about Fancy...epic in every way an R&B track can be. I mean the track has a clear arc that it takes all the way through and that mimics the idea of the entire album. It has the moment where the idea changes, and the music changes with it, up through the beat switch at the end which is purposely there. Love vs Money is pretty much a concept album telling a story in a very specific order, and that combined with the great music and production found within the songs, makes that album unskippable for me IMO.

Love Hate has 2 skippable songs, Ditch That and the Rihanna joint. They just don't fit with what I've come to expect from Dream's songs and more importantly the tone/atmosphere of the songs. Every thing else on that album however is pretty genius, whether you personally like the tracks or not.

Love King...I dunno. It's good stuff but it doesn't have the ambition of Love vs Money, and it doesn't have the rawness of the first album. Therefore right now its a pretty clear LvM > LH > LK

OptimusPrimeAPhiA wrote:

sick.gif

You forgot to cross out his name.
laugh.gif
wink.gif

& nah...from page 20:
And I'm surprised nobody has mentioned how hot "Sex Intelligent (Remix)" is...SHE WANT ME TO REMIIIIIIIIIIXXXXX THIS DUMBBBBB SHIIIIIIIIIITTTTTT 
smokin.gif

Originally Posted by EnEyeKayEe

OptimusPrimeAPhiA wrote:

sick.gif
laugh.gif
wink.gif

& nah...from page 20:
And I'm surprised nobody has mentioned how hot "Sex Intelligent (Remix)" is...SHE WANT ME TO REMIIIIIIIIIIXXXXX THIS DUMBBBBB SHIIIIIIIIIITTTTTT 
smokin.gif

Speaking of crossing out, it's "Dope", not "Dumb".
laugh.gif

And to those planning on picking up the album, Best Buy will have the regular version for $8 and the deluxe for $12 on Tuesday ...

Speaking of crossing out, it's "Dope", not "Dumb".
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
...my bad.  You gotta admit it sounded like "dumb" on first listens though...
nerd.gif
  My dude says it like duuuuuuuuuuope +#%$.
laugh.gif
smh.gif

And to those planning on picking up the album, Best Buy will havethe regular version for $8 and the deluxe for $12 on Tuesday ...
Was just about to ask this question. Wasn't sure if the deluxe was gonna be available on hard copy.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by EnEyeKayEe

OptimusPrimeAPhiA wrote:

sick.gif
laugh.gif
wink.gif

& nah...from page 20:
smokin.gif

In the room like an elephant
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by SHUGES

and Love Hate has WAY to many tracks that i skip so for me Love money and now Love King are better then that.
We can finally agree on something.
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
roll.gif
 Tmac still sucks 
indifferent.gif

laugh.gif

Yea aiight, whatever.

Originally Posted by OptimusPrimeAPhiA

Itsgreat and hell it spawned another hit for Fab/Drake but its not whereya'll say it is. Sure it had all those musical compositions but ya'llare giving it way too much. It wasn't as epic as all 7 minutes wouldlead you to believe.
Nice response. I respect everyone's opinion on here. But knocking Fancy??
smh.gif

Sorry Optimus, I can't roll with you on that one.

sick.gif
Sex Intelligent > Remix

Both versions have lyrics that crack me up though. "My love gets it poppin' like the Taliban".
laugh.gif
And "He's on that plane level... and I'm space shuttle".
laugh.gif

Reminds me of "ohhh, I'm all up on you like a white tee on a thug".
sick.gif

Originally Posted by IncredibleEv

Optimusyou dead wrong about Fancy...epic in every way an R&B track can be.I mean the track has a clear arc that it takes all the way through andthat mimics the idea of the entire album. It has the moment where theidea changes, and the music changes with it, up through the beat switchat the end which is purposely there. Love vs Money is pretty much aconcept album telling a story in a very specific order, and thatcombined with the great music and production found within the songs,makes that album unskippable for me IMO.
Co-sign

On a side note, I HATE the transition from SI Remix to Yamaha. I like the song, but it just seems out of place after SI Remix. And sorry guys, Feb Love is weak to me. I can listen to it. But I usually skip it.

And yeah, I agree with whoever said Turnt Out > Falsetto. Turnt Out is my current favorite on LK.

The Dream came correct once again with this album. Some parts sound a little too synthesized but for the most part I'm impressed with the album as a whole. Some songs that I didn't vibe to on the first listen, sounded better on the 2nd or 3rd listen. I might have to go to best buy and get the deluxe version on Tuesday just so I can support The Dream and we can keep hearing more dope music from him.

Looking back on the LvM thread, I found a few gems:

Honestlythis album is as a bad an R&B album as I have heard in years. Theonly songs I like is the lead single, the song with Mariah and Fancy isdecentbut runs on a bit too long.

This album is horrible lyrically and The Dream who I never thoughtof as a great vocalist does not bring it vocally at all. Too manycheesy lyrics andhorrendous hooks on this album for me to stomach. I can't say I wasdisappointed because I did not expect much at all but this albums isnot by any meanswhat anyone should call good music.

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

this _ Illy hyping up Fancy last 8 bars. I'm listening to see if there's some secret code or some @!# i aint hearing

i've listened to this once...and the only track that stood out was fancy...
didnt get that wow factor ive got from other albums ive listened too before.
i'm gonna give it a few more spins...
Same way I feel bro. Maybe it will grow on me....if not NT Hype failed me again just like Thr33 Ringz

It's not as good as Love/Hate, it's straight. I'm not too impressed tho, a lot of CORNY lyrics on this album. Fancy is definitely not what I was expecting, it's decent.

Round 2 >>> Love vs. Money

i agree. i think i might stand alone when i say he's overrated...imo.
tired.gif

the only song i listen to from this album is FANCY, my god thats the definition of a perfect song, 10/10. the rest of thealbum is meh at best...

Ican't say this is classic. Fancy just doesn't belong. It really screwsup the flow of the album. Take it off and you have an album that neverwill betaken out of my disc-changer.
sick.gif

Official THE-DREAM "Love vs. Money" album thread (In Stores March 10th!) :.

Gave the album a run earlier, pretty solid through and through but just like with LvM i'm going to have to let this grow on me. At first listen I give this album a 7.5/10 but i think after time it will be up in the high 9s to 10.

Favs right now are:
-Feb Love
-Nikki P2
-F.I.L.A (dont know why people arent really feelin this song)
-Sex Intelligent
-Abyss (let this run on the pod after nikki and it sounded liek the same song had to do a double take but in a good way)
-Sorry
-Take Care of Me

And i mess with F.U. on the low, songs lowkey a good hatred towards a woman song haha.

This is the album I was REALLY anticipatin... He set the barpretty high with the first 2, so he had A LOT to live up to with this joint...

Never really good to see an artist's album leak, but in nthis case I wasbasically wakin up every morning and checking Google to see if he sprung a leakearlier than the norm... Plus the fact that Drake %$+$ leaked about a weekearlier, it kind of set the pace for everything else leakin...

Dream had A LOT to live up to with Love King, coming off of 2 stellar albums the anticipation for this joint was as high as its ever been for him. But with all the pressure would he be able to deliver... Is Love King gonna be enuff to STOP me from listenin to TML??
Spoiler [+]
Love King
Wasn't the biggest fan of this joint when it first dropped, but I also tried tosteer clear of it cause I knew I was gonna be coppin this album no matter what.It's not the BEST song in the world, but its a pretty effective, and followsthe trends of his past 1st singles from the previous 2 albums. Beat is DOPE,the hook is a lil suspect tho, I will say tho, the song has grown on me slightly.
3.75/5

Make Up Bag
Another joint that leaked a few weeks back, gave it ONE spin back then, wasdeffinetly feelin it, but I didn't wanna ruin the expereicne of the album bygettin hooked on one song before the whole thing arrived. This joint is nice,kinda in the vein of "I Luv Ya Girl", except its talkin about spendinan unnecessary amounts of money on a make up bag for your chick... I guess itain't trickin if you got it, and who better to jump on the track than fellowATLien & Mr You Can Have Whatever You Like himself, TI who comes thru witha SOLID verse... Nothing world changin, but dope none the less
4.25/5

F.I.L.A.
I know I wasn't the ONLY one that thought about that Trillville song when seeinthis title... I was almost sure this would be an ode to the AIDS infested cityof Atlanta...Needless to say, this was one of the rare occasions where I was wrong. Thisjoint is nice tho, has a good feeling to it, and deffinetly goes hard in thewhip.
4.25/5

Sex Intelligent
THAT's what I'm talkin about... This joint is CRACK. Deffinetly a jointthat will be on repeat in the future, beat is just DANGEROUS, and its just onsome fly playa %$+$, and that's the type of life I lead
glasses.gif
... The beat switch on the Taliban line
eek.gif
pimp.gif
... Yea this %$+$ is HARD.
4.75/5

Sex Intelligent (Remix)
Usually if somethin isn't BROKE, you're not supposed to try and fix it... Dreamnever got that memo, he reworks the ALREADY dope track... He doesn't quite eclipsethe level of EPICness of the first, but he comes damn close... 6/7/2011...
smokin.gif

4.5/5

Yamaha
This is a lil different than the other tracks, but it has the vibe of a"Fast Car"/"Walkin On The Moon"... On some new age Princetype %$+$... Not goin front, I wasn't the biggest fan of this song after thefirst few listens, but as I continue to listen to the album it is SLOWLYgrowing on me... Its by no means a bad song, just a lil different.
3.75/5

Nikki Pt 2
As soon as I saw the title I was wondering how HARD the beat was goin be... Iguess we'll NEVER know cause the sequel takes on a different type of vibe, nota bad thing by ANY means. Not better than the OG, but the story is interestingand keeps you tied into the track.
4/5

Abyss
The transition between these 2 songs is AS good as that between "Love VsMoney" 1&2. Here Dream sounds a lil angry on this joint, makes mething of my gold diggin *$% ex... Maybe I should get on the jack and puet herheart in its place...
4.75/5

Panties To The Side
More of a club joint... The intro to the joint is CLASSIC... "Lemme $**@You Girl...", this has the feel of a song that could potentially be a hit,I can deffinetly see myself dancin on a couch to this joint (That's usually howI rate club records). I like how he separates himself from his peers with thebridge of this joint...
4.25/5

Turnt Out
He gets his falsetto on, for this joint... I'll be the first to admit he isntthe best vocalist in the world, but obviously having the talent to write arecord helps one tell the difference between a good idea and a bad one. Thisjoint is just extra smooth, laid back relaxed type %$+$.
4.25/5

February Love
Kind of starts like "Fancy" with the piano and %$+$ in thebackground, and its more or less in the same vein... This joint is justabsolutely BEAUTIFUL... I didn't think he would EVER be able to top"Fancy" cause thats one of the BEST songs EVER... But this comes DAMNclose... I've been just zonin to this joint, its just AMAZING... Then he justBODIES the last verse, and just further adds to an already AMAZING song...
5/5

Florida University
laugh.gif
... This song is kind of stupid, butbrilliant @ the same time (in a Lil Wayne type of way)... the"A-Hole" line was so elementary but hilarious @ the same time... Thisis a fun song so I'm not gonna really put to much weight on this joint, @ theend of the day its a pretty good song.
3.5/5

Veteran

This is more or less the Love King version of "Mr Yeah"... NOT the BEST song in the world, but its not the worst... But to be honest I could've lived without it...

3.25/5

Priceless

This joint is on ANOTHER level, deffinetly an early fav on the album so far. The beat is AMAZING, and lyrically speaking this is prolly the BEST song on the album... This definitely lived up to the expectations I had for the album

5/5

Take Care Of Me

My expectations for this joint were through the roof after Dream claimed it was BETTER than "Fancy"... Well he was deffinetly lying, but this is STILL an AMAZING track none the less...

4.5/5

All Black Everything

This is a VERY good song, but to be honest I don't think it really belonged on the album...

4/5

Sorry

The BEST way to describe this track... Is he apologizing for this song being SOO lackluster?? Or is he REALLY retitring... Only time will tell...

The Verdict:

I've given the album somewhere between 15-20 SOLID spins in different enviornments (the whip, the bedroom, during a smoke session etc), and the album sounds just as good with each listen as it does the first time... The production is as good as its EVER been, and his songwriting is a strong as its EVER been thus far in his career... But Its not just one big love-fest, I do have my gripes...

The album is a lil bloated with 17 tracks (on the Deluxe Edition atleast), I think it could've been trimmed down to 12-14 tracks... I could've lived without "Florida University", "Veteran", "Sorry" & "All Black Everything", I don't know if it was the pressure that got to him, or if he just felt like all 17 tracks were GOOD enuff to be on the album... I will say tho it does feature some of his best work to date... "Sex Intelligent", "Feb-Love", "Priceless", "Take Care Of Me" so it kind of balances it out in a way... 

The cohesiveness of the album is GREAT in most cases, the tranisition between Sex Intelligent & the remix is GOLD... Also the transition between Nikki 2 & Abyss, but as the album gets towards the end its not AS good... Priceless & Take Care Of Me are both AMAZING, but the others kind of hurt the overall product... It starts pff VERY strong, but wanes off towards the end...

Standout Tracks:

Makeup Bag

Sex Intelligent

Abyss

February Love

Priceless

Take Care Of Me

Overall:

4.25/5

Priceless

This joint is on ANOTHER level, deffinetly an early fav on the album so far. The beat is AMAZING, and lyrically speaking this is prolly the BEST song on the album... This definitely lived up to the expectations I had for the album

5/5

^ Was trying to tell dudes...
smokin.gif
pimp.gif
smh.gif

It's officially the AOTY so far for me personally, and I haven't even bumped it in the whip yet
laugh.gif
(holding out until I get the hard copy).  The Deluxe will be copped w/the quickness on Tuesday.

EDIT: As of right now:  LK = LvsM > L/H

Back
Top Bottom