the thread about nothing...

1687137206961.gif

Went over to my local jeweler this weekend to get my setup polished and replate the rhodium layer on the white gold ring.

That process takes a bit of time so in the mean time I figured I’d ask the jeweler’s wife (who helps her husband run the store) to show and educate me more about the different color variants gemstones can have, as well as just lesser known gems in general. The wife’s not a jeweler but she did get relevant degrees/certificates to be very knowledgeable about gems and metals.

Really eye-opening experience tbh. So many beautiful gems I’d never even heard of. One that stock out in particular had an amazing and unique yellow gold/amber sort of color but I forgot the name. It was something I’d never heard of (not tourmaline) and ended in “ite.”

What really came as a surprise was when she brought a case of sapphires containing color variants in just about any color I could think of. I had no idea sapphires could come in virtually any color, even pitch black. I only knew of pink sapphires.

At the start of all this, I explicitly told her I had no intention of buying anything and just wanted to learn. When she showed me a white gold ring with a beautifully vibrant hotpink sapphire though… I couldn’t resist and bought it on the spot. It needed a bit of resizing though, as did one of my other rings to wear it on a different finger to accommodate the new ring. Should be ready sometime this week.

Very friendly couple, always willing to show and educate even when I’m explicitly not there to potentially buy something. The husband’s family has been running this local jewelry store for around 120 years now and the amount of degrees, certificates etc. he has is kinda staggering. He even has a certificate qualifying him as a gemstone expert in court cases.

Also found out something about my unique bracelet that’s at least 50 years old, which I bought from a relative after his passing.

Turns out it was actually made by the jeweler’s family in the 1960s, he found a sketch for a custom design in an old ledger that matches the bracelet pattern exactly.

He was immediately fascinated by the bracelet when he first saw it and when he asked who made it, I had no idea so I guess he went looking through old paperwork due to the close proximity of where my grandparents lived.
I live in a rural area and this has always been the only jewelry store in a wide radius so it makes sense that’s where my granddad got it.
Small world I guess.

Went over to my local jeweler this weekend to get my setup polished and replate the rhodium layer on the white gold ring.

That process takes a bit of time so in the mean time I figured I’d ask the jeweler’s wife (who helps her husband run the store) to show and educate me more about the different color variants gemstones can have, as well as just lesser known gems in general. The wife’s not a jeweler but she did get relevant degrees/certificates to be very knowledgeable about gems and metals.

Really eye-opening experience tbh. So many beautiful gems I’d never even heard of. One that stock out in particular had an amazing and unique yellow gold/amber sort of color but I forgot the name. It was something I’d never heard of (not tourmaline) and ended in “ite.”

What really came as a surprise was when she brought a case of sapphires containing color variants in just about any color I could think of. I had no idea sapphires could come in virtually any color, even pitch black. I only knew of pink sapphires.

At the start of all this, I explicitly told her I had no intention of buying anything and just wanted to learn. When she showed me a white gold ring with a beautifully vibrant hotpink sapphire though… I couldn’t resist and bought it on the spot. It needed a bit of resizing though, as did one of my other rings to wear it on a different finger to accommodate the new ring. Should be ready sometime this week.

Very friendly couple, always willing to show and educate even when I’m explicitly not there to potentially buy something. The husband’s family has been running this local jewelry store for around 120 years now and the amount of degrees, certificates etc. he has is kinda staggering. He even has a certificate qualifying him as a gemstone expert in court cases.

Also found out something about my unique bracelet that’s at least 50 years old, which I bought from a relative after his passing.

Turns out it was actually made by the jeweler’s family in the 1960s, he found a sketch for a custom design in an old ledger that matches the bracelet pattern exactly.

He was immediately fascinated by the bracelet when he first saw it and when he asked who made it, I had no idea so I guess he went looking through old paperwork due to the close proximity of where my grandparents lived.
I live in a rural area and this has always been the only jewelry store in a wide radius so it makes sense that’s where my granddad got it.
Small world I guess.
I’ve always thought in another lifetime I could be a jeweler/gemologist. When I was younger I bought some cheap gemstones and made a few rings/earrings and put a for sale ad in my local newspaper but no one bought any :lol: if I had sold any that would have lit a fire in me for sure

Back
Top Bottom