the thread about nothing...

0DmHjG2e_400x400.jpg

Was able to get a small pay raise in under a year. My 22 year old self (before the pandemic) wouldn't probably believe me if I told him that I'd be THIS productive despite hardships during 2021.

But for now I'll keep grinding, gonna try to get another raise so I can pay for my hobbies :lol:

Any of the OG NTers remember that music video and there was a 7 series in there with every light (check engine light, etc)on the dash on. :lol: Why am I thinking its a Tony Yayo or Yung Bucl vid, I could be totally wrong.

The Seneca Falls Convention was the first women’s rights convention in the United States. Held in July 1848 in Seneca Falls, New York, the meeting launched the women’s suffrage movement, which more than seven decades later ensured women the right to vote.

Elizabeth Cady Stanton helped organize the world's first women's rights convention in Seneca Falls, but historian Lori Ginzberg argues that Stanton wasn't necessarily fighting for all women's rights...

"What will we and our daughters suffer if these degraded black men are allowed to have the rights that would make them even worse than our Saxon fathers?" -

"'We educated, virtuous white women are more worthy of the vote."

- Elizabeth Cady Stanton

01FDB62A-A4DF-C20A-02EF2A1A720E92F3.jpg

This divide and conquer thing has been going on since before the civil war even ended...

Right or wrong, some would argue Sojourner Truth's most famous speech / alleged allegiance with the Suffrage Movement is used as a propaganda tool to get black women to side with white women against black men.

1. May I say a few words? I want to say a few words about this matter.
  2. I am a woman’s rights.
  3. (a) I have as much muscle as any man, and can do as much work as any man.
  4. (b) I have plowed and reaped and husked and chopped and mowed, and can any man do more than that?
  5. I have heard much about the sexes being equal; I can carry as much as any man, and can (c) eat as much too, if (d) I can get it.
  6. I am as strong as any man that is now.
  7. As for intellect, all I can say is, (e) if women have a pint and man a quart - why can’t she have her little pint full?
  8. You need not be afraid to give us our rights for fear we will take too much, for we cant take more than our pint’ll hold.
  9. The poor men seem to be all in confusion, and dont know what to do.
  10. Why children, if you have woman’s rights, give it to her and you will feel better.
  11. You will have your own rights, and they wont be so much trouble.
  12. I cant read, but I can hear.
  13. I have heard the bible and have learned that Eve caused man to sin.
  14. Well if woman upset the world, do give her a chance to set it right side up again.
  15. The Lady has spoken about Jesus, how he never spurned woman from him, and she was right.
  16. When Lazarus died, Mary and Martha came to him with faith and love and besought him to raise their brother.
  17. And Jesus wept - and Lazarus came forth.
  18. And how came Jesus into the world?
  19. (f) Through God who created him and woman who bore him.
  20. (g)Man, where is your part?
  21. But the women are coming up blessed be God and a few of the men are coming up with them.
  22. But man is in a tight place, the poor slave is on him, woman is coming on him, and he is surely between-a hawk and a buzzard.

sojourner-truth-portrait-600x600jpg.jpg
Sojourner Truth

In her speech she points out the difference - "hawk and buzzard".

The whole "Aint I a Woman" thing wasn't even part of her actual speech - it was added by some white woman named Frances Dana Gage:

The most common yet inaccurate rendering of Truth's speech—the one that introduced the famous phrase "Ar'n't I a woman?"—was constructed by Frances Dana Gage, nearly twelve years after the speech was given.

Frances_Dana_Barker_Gage.jpg
Frances Dana Gage

I cringe when I see Black women walking around wearing t-shirts with that "quote" - they have no idea, but meh...that's how propaganda is supposed to work. "Intersectionality" and such - SMH.

Anyway...

In the long battle for women's suffrage, and the passage of the 19th Amendment, some leading activists prioritized white women’s suffrage over voting rights for all women.

Two of the most prominent women's suffragists, Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton, were at one time part of the American Equal Rights Association (AERA), a group they formed with Frederick Douglass and other activists in 1866. The organization’s goal was to win voting rights “for both women and African Americans,” says Lisa Tetrault, a history professor at Carnegie Mellon University.

“There’s tension from the very beginning over the priority of those two demands,” she says. “Black women fall out of this equation.”

During the AERA’s founding convention, Black suffragist Frances Ellen Watkins Harper addressed how this framing was unhelpful for her and other Black women. “[Harriet Tubman], whose courage and bravery won a recognition from our army and from every Black man in the land, is excluded from every thoroughfare of travel,” Harper said. “Talk of giving women the ballot-box? Go on.”

Women_of_distinction_-_remarkable_in_works_and_invincible_in_character_(1893)_(14598047448).jpg
Frances Ellen Watkins Harper

After only three years, the AERA dissolved over heated fights about whether to support the 15th Amendment, with which Black men won the right to vote. (In the South, this victory would be short-lived.) At a pivotal convention in May 1869, Douglass argued that the AERA should support the amendment while continuing to fight for women’s suffrage. Stanton not only disagreed, she gave an address filed with racist stereotypes about the male immigrants and formerly enslaved men whom the amendment would enfranchise.

“Think of Patrick and Sambo and Hans and Yung Tung, who do not know the difference between a monarchy and a republic, who cannot read the Declaration of Independence or Webster’s spelling book, making laws for…Susan B. Anthony,” she said at the convention. “[The amendment] creates an antagonism everywhere between educated, refined women and the lower orders of men, especially in the South.”

Both Douglass and Stanton had previously attended the Seneca Falls Convention for women’s rights in 1848. According to Tetrault, “what’s particularly painful was that Douglass had been the one at Seneca Falls who stood up and defended women’s right to vote. And then when it comes to the 15th Amendment, Stanton refuses to reciprocate.”

The disagreements at that convention led not only to the dissolution of AERA, but a split in the women’s suffrage movement between those who supported the 15th Amendment and those who did not. Stanton and Anthony joined the faction that did not; and after the amendment passed, many of the suffragists on that side pandered to white southerners by arguing that that if white women could vote, they could drown out the Black male vote.

Note:

The other organizer of the Seneca Falls convention was the one and only Lucretia Mott...the other side of the split (the side that lost to the racists / Karens).

julaug2020_b28_prologue.jpg
Lucretia Mott

She was the real OG and was not at all the racist Stanton and Anthony turned out to be.

Unlike many of her contemporaries, Mott was never willing to sacrifice racial equality for women’s rights—or even for her family’s livelihood. When her husband found success as a cotton merchant after years of struggling to provide for their five children, Mott convinced him to swap cotton for wool, a textile that wasn’t made with slave labor.

“I do not want to show my faith by my words, or by my Quaker bonnet,” Mott once said. “I want that we may all show our faith by our works.”

If it wasn't for Mott - Stanton and Anthony (the OG racist Karens) wouldn't even have been on the wave...

"“When I first heard from the lips of Lucretia Mott that I had the same right to think for myself that Luther, Calvin and John Knox had,” Elizabeth Cady Stanton said in 1881, the year after Mott’s death, “it was like suddenly coming into the rays of the noon-day sun, after wandering with a rushlight in the caves of the earth.”

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom