THE THREAD ABOUT SKATEBOARDING.

the DC* teams gona be here on saturday, demo and signing, but no Cole, Mikey or Mike Mo. boo

I never understood wearing bulky shoes like those picture above. When I skated, I found the best shoes were the ones with narrow midsoles. The narrower the better. You had better board control & you were able to flip the board better when street skating.

had no idea owen wilson could skate.

seems pretty bad a5s, but what do i kno... lol

Last edited:
Another favorite part(s) of mine.  Rodrigo was a machine at this point (still is, really).  Switch flip back lip is still an insane trick to be able to do on a handrail, but it was mind-blowing when this video came out. I used to replay the nollie flip over the hubba in the first part over and over when I was younger. Now if only I could find Ray Barbee's part to post...

I never understood wearing bulky shoes like those picture above. When I skated, I found the best shoes were the ones with narrow midsoles. The narrower the better. You had better board control & you were able to flip the board better when street skating.

Would definitely agree with you here. I don't remember there being a whole lot of options, though. Most skate shoes of the late 90s/early 2000s were bulkier. Even the more basic designs like the Es Accel or DC Manteca, etc....They were really bulky by today's standards. I guess I can't think of any that weren't bulky with the exception of all the Vans classics (Sk8-HI, Slip-On, etc), but those were murder for your feet if you skated street.

That has some to do with how I transitioned to skating Nikes around 2003. I remember really liking how they 'flicked' against the grip tape. SB Dunks were out of the question because every shop in Socal wanted $100 for them. But you could get GR models on clearance at the mall then swap in a better insole and they would be great.

Last edited:
Would definitely agree with you here. I don't remember there being a whole lot of options, though. Most skate shoes of the late 90s/early 2000s were bulkier. Even the more basic designs like the Es Accel or DC Manteca, etc....They were really bulky by today's standards. I guess I can't think of any that weren't bulky with the exception of all the Vans classics (Sk8-HI, Slip-On, etc), but those were murder for your feet if you skated street.

IPath had some basic designs.

Anyone remember Duff or Axion?

First pair of bulky sneakers I bought were some Kareem Campbell Axions in '97.

Edit: Found a pic. Memories.

View media item 55883

Last edited:
If I had to pick one pair of shoes that I enjoyed most it would be these FCs from 2004. I didn't give a crap about Manchester United or any soccer, just thought they looked cool. I had 2 pairs that I got on clearance from a local shop for $40 each. They flicked so good I swear I would catch my flip tricks 6 inches higher :lol:

The issue with Nike is that the shoes sucked in terms of durability. You'd be lucky if they could last you a month, which is just too soon if you're a kid buying your own gear. I put super glue all over the stitching on these FCs and they held up really good, though.

View media item 565944

i prefer my shoes bulky most of the time when i'm actually going around a city skating, i only wear slimmer shoes when i'm just having a mellow day. i was lucky enough to find a pair of etnies that i had as a kid back in the day and skate those most of the time.
IPath had some basic designs.

Anyone remember Duff or Axion?

First pair of bulky sneakers I bought were some Kareem Campbell Axions in '97.

Edit: Found a pic. Memories.
axions were dope, i haven't been near any of the ones out right now.

those campbell's 
nthat.gif

If I had to pick one pair of shoes that I enjoyed most it would be these FCs from 2004. I didn't give a crap about Manchester United or any soccer, just thought they looked cool. I had 2 pairs that I got on clearance from a local shop for $40 each. They flicked so good I swear I would catch my flip tricks 6 inches higher
laugh.gif

The issue with Nike is that the shoes sucked in terms of durability. You'd be lucky if they could last you a month, which is just too soon if you're a kid buying your own gear. I put super glue all over the stitching on these FCs and they held up really good, though.
these shoes were amazing.

i bought a pair of indoor soccer FC's bc of how good these were, the breathability is bad but they are nice to skate in when you swap to a lunarlon insole 
nthat.gif

been hunting a pair of genetic's for a long time already. they were the rolls royce of shoes i remember. i think it was the only pair aside from dvs to break the $100+ mark in the early 2000's. there was a discount shoe store (similar to famous footwear) that had a bunch of these about 7-9 years back. sucks i was just a kid still and didn't know better 
laugh.gif
 i would have stacked up on them.

Another favorite of mine here.  Best intro, best editing, and two insane parts.  The intro of this video is what got me listening to Dinosaur Jr.  Johnny Layton and Billy Marks killed it in this video.

i still have that good and evil dvd 
nthat.gif
 very underrated . i remember i bought it in a 3 pack along with slaughterhouse and some other one.

jerry hsu's will forever be a legend with this part. the music choice and trick selection left me in awe the first time i saw it and still does.

jim greco's part in the deathwish video. can't believe this guy still rips.

mark appleyard's new part, sucks he left flip but he killed this part, almost left me teary eyed when i first saw it along with greco's.

Last edited:
oh also for those who keep up with skating "news"

jimmy carlin is off mystery and on enjoi and off fallen and on huf, rumors have it that jaime thomas wasn't hyped on his part in perpetual motion that he kicked him off mystery and fallen 
mean.gif
 good for jimmy though, he seems like one of the nicest people but fits perfectly well in those two teams.

his color theory part is gold. wish i had his feet 
laugh.gif

and a fellow 805'er , mikey taylor is off alien workshop, no reason as to why buy i'm suspecting him and p rod joining forces 
nerd.gif

P.S. if you haven't heard, p rod, mikey, slash, bherman have a beer comapany called saint archers. i really recommend that beer, it's really good.

-Apples will always have one of the best styles in skateboarding. Loved his kick flip BS tail at Hubba hideout
-never been a fan of Greco, always felt he looked uncomfortable on the board
-I love mikey Taylor. I love that he rides his trucks super loose. His style is so damn smooth
-always liked Ellington better than Greco. His big spin down Carlsbad at the end of baker 3 when you can hear the wheels spinning, man
-b Herman is probably my favorite skater of all time. Felt like he was a perfect combo of that hesh style and that tech style
-I've been watching a ton of Reynolds lately, especially his stay gold part. Him and frostman are the GOAT to me. Koston for his innovation and drew for jut killing it for so damn long. He is in his 30s and still jumping down stairs. He doing gnarlier stuff than 95% of the skaters out there. Longevity and consistency with that dude

That Jerry Hsu part blew my mind when I first saw it too. The beginning of the second half where he has that line skating on boulders....thought that was nuts.

I was kind of happy to hear that about Jimmy Carlin. He was sponsored by a local shop here in San Diego that I hung out at a lot so I saw him around many times. He's a pretty oddball funny type of dude. It shows in his skating too. Seems like he'll be a good fit with Enjoi.

-never been a fan of Greco, always felt he looked uncomfortable on the board
-His big spin down Carlsbad at the end of baker 3 when you can hear the wheels spinning, man
-I've been watching a ton of Reynolds lately, especially his stay gold part. Him and frostman are the GOAT to me. Koston for his innovation and drew for jut killing it for so damn long. He is in his 30s and still jumping down stairs. He doing gnarlier stuff than 95% of the skaters out there. Longevity and consistency with that dude
-i like greco's aggressive approach, he does have a stiff style but definitely has control.

-that sound of erik's wheels sound so good here as well

-when andrew bs flipped wallenburg 
eek.gif
 especially at the age he was, some the younger guys won't even come near it.
That Jerry Hsu part blew my mind when I first saw it too. The beginning of the second half where he has that line skating on boulders....thought that was nuts.

I was kind of happy to hear that about Jimmy Carlin. He was sponsored by a local shop here in San Diego that I hung out at a lot so I saw him around many times. He's a pretty oddball funny type of dude. It shows in his skating too. Seems like he'll be a good fit with Enjoi.
that SD life 
mean.gif
 i'm salty

it's probably the only city aside from venice that i wished i lived in, i definitely need to plan a weekend trip with the homies out there, so much stuff i hear of how perfect it is to skate. 

i'll try finding this video i saw not long ago on vimeo of some locals skating DTSD at night.

@oxpenguin

mikey taylors off alien too? wow. prod and mikey back together, just like citystars haha! spanky leavin baker next? haha

id like to share this vid,

this was circa way back, young chris cole, appleyard and colt cannon (where is he now?)

an unknown rattray

and of course muska and thomas.

one of the best videos i have ever seen in my entire life. its a long video but you'll get the gyst of it after the first couple minutes... and i bet you watch the whole damn thing

I remember the original Muska Circa shoe was a big deal. Thought the little zipper tongue was cool, but then some kid from school had his pair and the zipper broke when they were still new :smh: They were expensive too, $90 I think?

View media item 567017
I was really into Muska/Shorty's when I first started. First board was a Shorty's and I rocked the hell out of one of these hoodies with my D3s :lol:

View media item 567025

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom