The Timepiece Thread vol: READ THE 1st POST!!!

Ok that’s good to know about the size then, I dont really want a big watch for everyday use. So maybe I’ll look at a longines or something else for an everyday watch and grab the Prince then

I like to have a range.

I have a 32.5mm, 36mm, 36.5mm, 38mm, 42mm, etc. Divers are always on the larger side because that's how they're supposed to wear. Wouldn't mind a 34mm Air King.

Also important to note that case size isn't the really the ultimate determining factor of how a watch will wear on you wrist. Sometimes a 36 can wear bigger than a 38. Look at the lug to lug measurement to see how much it can vary.

Last edited:
Ok so I was looking at the Mark XX which is beautiful and simple but the lug to lug is 49mm and I’m worried that might be too big for my ~7in wrist. What are your thoughts on that and potential other options for a similarly styled lower to mid end luxury watch for every day use? I probably won’t have time to get to an AD over the next week or so, so just wondering what the consensus thinks.

I really like the longines heritage flagship and think I’ll get one eventually but it’s too elegant to me for everyday use (I’m a teacher so I’m usually wearing jeans and Jordan’s/yeezy’s everyday)

Edit: really vibing with this one as well, need to try it on, same 49mm lug
1711123714736.png

Last edited:
Ok so I was looking at the Mark XX which is beautiful and simple but the lug to lug is 49mm and I’m worried that might be too big for my ~7in wrist. What are your thoughts on that and potential other options for a similarly styled lower to mid end luxury watch for every day use? I probably won’t have time to get to an AD over the next week or so, so just wondering what the consensus thinks.

I really like the longines heritage flagship and think I’ll get one eventually but it’s too elegant to me for everyday use (I’m a teacher so I’m usually wearing jeans and Jordan’s/yeezy’s everyday)

Edit: really vibing with this one as well, need to try it on, same 49mm lug
1711123714736.png

I may be biased but I love the Mark XX. My wrist is actually a bit smaller than yours (~6.7”) and it fits well. The lugs perfectly contour on my wrist. Go back a page or two and I posted a few pics of you want to get an idea of what it looks like on wrist, and on multiple kinds of straps. I’m wearing mine atm on a leather strap and almost forgot about it because it wears so comfortably on the wrist.

As far as similar styles in the entry range, you nailed it with the Longines Spirit, especially that titanium version. I’d almost recommend going that direction (though I’d purchase on a bracelet) just because it is a bit cheaper and if you decide after some time you don’t love the style, you may be out less than with the more expensive Mark.

I may be biased but I love the Mark XX. My wrist is actually a bit smaller than yours (~6.7”) and it fits well. The lugs perfectly contour on my wrist. Go back a page or two and I posted a few pics of you want to get an idea of what it looks like on wrist, and on multiple kinds of straps. I’m wearing mine atm on a leather strap and almost forgot about it because it wears so comfortably on the wrist.

As far as similar styles in the entry range, you nailed it with the Longines Spirit, especially that titanium version. I’d almost recommend going that direction (though I’d purchase on a bracelet) just because it is a bit cheaper and if you decide after some time you don’t love the style, you may be out less than with the more expensive Mark.
Oh I’m glad then that it won’t look too clunky. Glad you have pictures too, I actually really like the mark xx more with a bracelet instead of a leather strap. Comes together beautifully.

Are you buying straps officially from the brand or just generic ones third party? I would like to get a bracelet and have a leather strap to switch it to moving forward to have that diversity and extend the life of the timepiece.

If you were to get a Mark, definitely get one on bracelet. It’s fantastic, one of the best bracelets on any watch rn. I just like tossing it on a leather strap for the weekend to make it a bit more casual.

I buy generic third party straps. Have a few from Fluco that I really like. For IWCs specifically, B&R Bands has some great pilot-style options for like 30% of the price of an actual IWC strap and the quality is on point.

Grabbed the Longines as an everyday piece, planning to get the petit prince next and then we’ll take it from there. I wouldn’t mind having one cheaper bracelet watch as well (like the mark xx or a black bay/omega) before getting the eventual Rolex. Having said that, horologyxchange has some really nice used Rolexes around 8k so maybe I go that route eventually. I believe Sam said they were legit?

Is it possible to get a used speedmaster moonwatch in very good to excellent condition. For under 4k? Cheapest I can get is 4200 on chrono with some light scuffing on the clasp. I don’t really want to pay that much since it’s nothing special as a watch but I do like the history and meme of it.

you might get lucky with a private seller but as the retail price goes up, all of the priced goes up too and a sapphire sandwich retails at $8k now so getting an almost new speedy at less than half the retail is going to be difficult

a dealer will know the watches value and they can usually sit on it because they also know how much they can get for it so your best bet is a private seller who might be desperate to let it go

im sure there are a model year thats least liked by collectors, maybe thats the one to get? or a variant of the speedy that has no crown guards for example

or just get the moonswatch to try it out and maybe that will be enough :lol:

Has anyone seen the silver OP? I’m not a fan of the silver dj. But the gold on the dial and the black lettering looks sleek on the op. Am thinking about scooping. Does it look slick in person?

they are huge and look extra huge because of the bezel design but that is also why they now have them in 36mm (and 32mm)

so with its design, the 36mm aactually looks more like 38mm-39mm

I absolutely love the vibrancy of the green dial and brown strap in this one but i could get a very similar seiko prospex alpinist for a fraction of the price. Think I would be more willing to splurge if I had the wrist for it.

1711487622619.png

1711487670422.png

its nice, i honestly just saw someone with one on last night and it does kind of pop

probably one of the easier OPs to get too

dont think these lawsuits will apply to Rolex because its the ADs thats being shady but AP/Patek who sells their own watch might?

but i dont think it has legs, Ferrari been gatekeeping for the longest but who knows

Birkin bags are too hard to buy, shoppers allege in antitrust lawsuit

Birkin handbags are some of the priciest, most exclusive bags in the world. Hermès produces a limited number of Birkins and they can sell for around $450,000. And just having the money often isn’t enough.

A new lawsuit brought by two customers in California who were unable to buy Birkin bags alleges Hermès is a monopoly, and they say the way the company sells Birkins is a violation of antitrust law.

The customers say they were told that before they would be allowed to purchase a Birkin bag, they first needed to purchase other Hermès items and accessories. They claim that Hermès has dominant power in the market for its Birkin handbags, thus making it illegal for the company to link handbag sales to customers purchasing other products like shoes, scarves or belts.

“Consumers are coerced into purchasing ancillary products from [Hermès]” to buy a Birkin bag, the complaint alleges. “This is anticompetitive, tying conduct.”

US law forbids monopolies from using forced buying — or “tie-in” sales — to gain sales in other markets where it is not dominant and to make it more difficult for rivals to compete.

dont think these lawsuits will apply to Rolex because its the ADs thats being shady but AP/Patek who sells their own watch might?

but i dont think it has legs, Ferrari been gatekeeping for the longest but who knows

Birkin bags are too hard to buy, shoppers allege in antitrust lawsuit

Birkin handbags are some of the priciest, most exclusive bags in the world. Hermès produces a limited number of Birkins and they can sell for around $450,000. And just having the money often isn’t enough.

A new lawsuit brought by two customers in California who were unable to buy Birkin bags alleges Hermès is a monopoly, and they say the way the company sells Birkins is a violation of antitrust law.

The customers say they were told that before they would be allowed to purchase a Birkin bag, they first needed to purchase other Hermès items and accessories. They claim that Hermès has dominant power in the market for its Birkin handbags, thus making it illegal for the company to link handbag sales to customers purchasing other products like shoes, scarves or belts.

“Consumers are coerced into purchasing ancillary products from [Hermès]” to buy a Birkin bag, the complaint alleges. “This is anticompetitive, tying conduct.”

US law forbids monopolies from using forced buying — or “tie-in” sales — to gain sales in other markets where it is not dominant and to make it more difficult for rivals to compete.

Well what happened to the dude who sued Patek for not getting a 5980?

Back
Top Bottom