The Timepiece Thread vol: READ THE 1st POST!!!

You won't. In a couple of years, RMs will be Hublot status.

Interesting opinion, but how do you figure Hublot's status? Hublot sales are on the rise, and have been since last year. I am totally biased. I love the big bang design.

Last edited:
586E1079-E251-407E-B4AB-D3E34D6F769C.jpeg

Rubber>

Literally only wore the PCLs for a day til I swapped it out. I’m not a flashy person and this fits me more for everyday use.

I'm the same way I love being low key. But if I'm going rubber it won't be on a rolex or GS. To me rolex and GS are just too nice for rubber, love my G-shock on rubber(best tool watch ever if you ask me). But I also can't spend 6k on a tool watch for that $ the watch could never be a tool watch. But 1k+ is a ton of $ for this working class guy.

Stay away from the regular Audemar Piguet Royal Oak Chronograph model. Get the non chronograph version.
They hold very better value. Especially the Blue dial version has higher resell value.

The chronograph movement on the regular royal oak doesn't have a in-house movement by AP, which makes it less desirable from collectors and purists. No see through back to see the movement.

I personally can't wear a rubber strap on my sub as it just doesn't feel like a rolex as much anymore. I've a had a replica rubber b strap which I purchased from eBay (the same aesthetically, suppleness and even has the vanilla smell) for a quarter of the price and have not used it more than three times.
20170206_132043.jpg

still looking to swap my ap 15400 bracelet for the rubber conversion kit...just think it would work better for me as well as opposed to the bracelet. i do agree they make the best bracelets by far though.

Stay away from the regular Audemar Piguet Royal Oak Chronograph model. Get the non chronograph version.
They hold very better value. Especially the Blue dial version has higher resell value.

The chronograph movement on the regular royal oak doesn't have a in-house movement by AP, which makes it less desirable from collectors and purists. No see through back to see the movement.

I couldn’t disagree with a post more. Also, offshore models are chronograph with an exhibition case back.

If you’re buying for resell, then 15202 or skeleton are your best bet. Otherwise, both my chronos are reselling more than what I bought them for.

15400, 15450, 26320 or 26331 are similar as far as resale value goes, but if that’s all you care about, what a shame.

They key is blue dials, which is market as a whole and not specific to AP

what percentage of retail do you think they would typically get from the fence? the article said 2000 for a gold daytona, that seems super low, no?

I personally can't wear a rubber strap on my sub as it just doesn't feel like a rolex as much anymore. I've a had a replica rubber b strap which I purchased from eBay (the same aesthetically, suppleness and even has the vanilla smell) for a quarter of the price and have not used it more than three times.
20170206_132043.jpg

I strongly dislike the rubber strap look without endlinks. Custom endlinks are a must with rubber.

what percentage of retail do you think they would typically get from the fence? the article said 2000 for a gold daytona, that seems super low, no?

I work in DTLA jewelry district. I'm not involved in anything related to watches but have a bunch of friends who are. They all were waiting for these hot watches to come through the door for a quick sale. (They wouldn't have bought them)

2k for a daytona is nothing even for a steel one, but they also get to walk away from the sale without knowing if the purchaser would ever notify authorities. I'm sure with each grab they were pulling 50-100k easily. For people with nothing, that might as well be a million dollars.

they did, a lot of stores that sells rolex has that now, saint cross in LA has a similar set-up and even once inside, get used to the security pretty much eye-ing most of the time

I couldn’t disagree with a post more. Also, offshore models are chronograph with an exhibition case back.

If you’re buying for resell, then 15202 or skeleton are your best bet. Otherwise, both my chronos are reselling more than what I bought them for.

15400, 15450, 26320 or 26331 are similar as far as resale value goes, but if that’s all you care about, what a shame.

They key is blue dials, which is market as a whole and not specific to AP

i think he meant the regular chrono not the offshores chrono.

the regular royal oak chronograph doesn't have a exhibition case back to hide its non in house movement.

How do AP's bore you but Patek's dont? I'm the total opposite. I feel like i've been on a roller coaster with watches. I've tried everything before owning a Patek, even Vacheron and Lange (Lange 1 Moonphase was passed down to me). I'm finally getting through the tunnel and seeing patek's on IG all day is finally making me pull the trigger. I feel like AP's have the most beautiful bracelet out there. To each their own. I've always hated richard mille but i'm sure in a couple years i'll be looking for one. For years i thought Patek was pretty boring myself. Point being, maybe you dislike them but when you’ve amassed such a collection you should have one just for the sake of it lol.

The only AP im really liking right now is the Ceramic calendar pepertual.
which sells way over retail.

Attachments

• Audemars-Piguet-Royal-Oak-Perpetual-Calendar-Black-Ceramic-26579CE-Review-6.jpg
    Audemars-Piguet-Royal-Oak-Perpetual-Calendar-Black-Ceramic-26579CE-Review-6.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 20
The only AP im really liking right now is the Ceramic calendar pepertual.
which sells way over retail.

Love the Perpetual Calendar, a basic steel one in blue is on my short list. Thankfully they sell under MSRP. Have you seen the HK one with the green dial?

Love the Perpetual Calendar, a basic steel one in blue is on my short list. Thankfully they sell under MSRP. Have you seen the HK one with the green dial?

yes, basic steel is definitely nice. i just love the fact that the ceramic is light and supposedly scratch proof.
AP says it takes 30 hours to finish the bracelet alone, five times as long as it would on a steel RO.

Back
Top Bottom