The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

It's relative. He is often protected where other managers would be excoriated.

Old man Etoo, past-it Torres, and mid table Ba aren't top strikers. That was obvious from the get go. Rooney and Costa aren't the only 'reasonable' strikers around - certainly not for a club with Chelsea's budget. Off the top of my head, Kiebling, Cardozo, Benteke, Jackson Martinez, Remy, Doumbia, Yilmaz , etc. are all low to mid priced options that could have easily been had last summer or in Jan. And they are all inferior options to Lukaku who has been fantastic for Everton. A manager should trust in youth. LOL @ saying half don't even want him back. Yeah right. And he'd score a lot more goals with the midfielders at Chelsea.

Two scrappy, mistake-laden goals against PSG is hardly evidence of Chelsea's capability in possession. And, really, a ton of possession? Maybe for a Mou side. They've played reactive football basically in every game since he said that they needed to go back to a defensive approach after a bad run early in the season. Having games where you score a lot of goals does not mean you weren't playing on the counter attack. BTW, Mou's Chelsea sides have scored 2 goals in 6 semi final ties. Seems relevant.

I've seen enough of Chelsea this season, and more importantly, been around the game long enough to have an informed opinion. Of course I haven't seen all 60 games, why would I subject myself to that?

Last edited:

It's relative. He is often protected where other managers would be excoriated.

Old man Etoo, past-it Torres, and mid table Ba aren't top strikers. That was obvious from the get go. Rooney and Costa aren't the only 'reasonable' strikers around - certainly not for a club with Chelsea's budget. Off the top of my head, Kiebling, Cardozo, Benteke, Jackson Martinez, Remy, Doumbia, Yilmaz , etc. are all low to mid priced options that could have easily been had last summer or in Jan. And they are all inferior options to Lukaku who has been fantastic for Everton. A manager should trust in youth. LOL @ saying half don't even want him back. Yeah right. And he'd score a lot more goals with the midfielders at Chelsea.

Two scrappy, mistake-laden goals against PSG is hardly evidence of Chelsea's capability in possession. And, really, a ton of possession? Maybe for a Mou side. They've played reactive football basically in every game since he said that they needed to go back to a defensive approach after a bad run early in the season. Having games where you score a lot of goals does not mean you weren't playing on the counter attack. BTW, Mou's Chelsea sides have scored 2 goals in 6 semi final ties. Seems relevant.

I've seen enough of Chelsea this season, and more importantly, been around the game long enough to have an informed opinion. Of course I haven't seen all 60 games, why would I subject myself to that?
LOL @ any of them other than Benteke being Chelsea quality.

Lukaku has been up and down for Everton. He has only scored in 6 of the last 15 games for everton. 

His touch, finishing, and work rate still need a ton of work. But that's a completely separate discussion. 

Why would he score more goals with Chelsea's midfielders? Everton's midfield is great.

Trust in youth? He only just started a 20 yr old CB on the road at Anfield.

And no Chelsea have not played reactive football in every game since October. Clearly you aren't as knowledgable about Chelsea as you think you are so just sit this one out sport.

That was a good doc.

Speaking of docs, has anyone seen the newer Thierry Henry doc called Arsenal Legends: Thierry Henry? It doesn't seem to be available stateside...

Edit - Cesc's return to Arsenal or the Prem? :rolleyes If this happens, I'll be a little pissed since Thiago was let go. As it is, another transfer rumor for now, but he was visibly upset after being jeered at Camp Nou several times recently...

The Henry doc was on youtube for a while. I was looking for it to show someone about two weeks ago but I couldn't find it.

As for Cesc, love the guy but there's no place for him on the team. I don't see him being a priority on his list because we have other issues that need to be addressed.

guys,any good websites to keep myself updated with the Brazilian league?i think the new season just started...

Yea it started, on twitter @BrazilStats is very informed and follows a bunch of footy accounts, might be able to find something if you go through the accounts he follows

This is from reddit but it doesn't have too many contributors, a lot of info tho

LOL @ any of them other than Benteke being Chelsea quality.

Lukaku has been up and down for Everton. He has only scored in 6 of the last 15 games for everton. 

His touch, finishing, and work rate still need a ton of work. But that's a completely separate discussion. 

Why would he score more goals with Chelsea's midfielders? Everton's midfield is great.

Trust in youth? He only just started a 20 yr old CB on the road at Anfield.

And no Chelsea have not played reactive football in every game since October. Clearly you aren't as knowledgable about Chelsea as you think you are so just sit this one out sport.

CFC's three strikers have something like 15 league goals between them so I don't know what you're trying to say by dismissing those players as not being 'Chelsea quality.' If I were you, I'd say something like "you haven't even seen those players play," but I'm not you. Good thing.

Lukaku has been excellent, regardless of whatever nitpicking you want to do about his game. He has six assists too, and I imagine only Hazard has more for Chelsea. Are you now going to try and say Everton's midfield are more capable of creating space and providing service to a striker than Oscar, Hazard, and Willian? Actually, I wouldn't be surprised. You seem to have really taken Mou's 'little horse' nonsense to heart.

He admitted he'd field a weakened team at Anfield. That's not trusting youth.

Last edited:
Mirallas and Barkely >>> Willian and Oscar. I'm still holding out hope that Salah can ball out for us next season

Nobody is nitpicking Lukaku. Don't believe me. Go ask Everton fans.

http://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/lukaku-to-spurs.66225/page-38

I'm not going through all of that, so there's no way to get a consensus. Seems like it's a thread about how he's off to Spurs, and a few posters are trying to rationalize why it's not all bad because if Chelsea want to sell, Everton won't be able to afford. I don't know any Evertonians myself, but when I caught Arsenal-Everton at the pub a few weeks ago, they were all quite happy with him. He's a 20 year old striker with massive potential, so you'd think a decorated manager like Mou would be able to get the best of him.

Anyway, you missed the point - as usual. He's better than any of Chelsea's current strikers, so that's an oversight on Mou's part. You also didn't address any of my other points, including why if Mou is so tactically perfect, his Chelsea teams have scored two goals in 6 semi final ties, so I guess I can leave it there.

Last edited:
Mirallas and Barkely >>> Willian and Oscar. I'm still holding out hope that Salah can ball out for us next season

Well they're certainly not as talented as Willian and Oscar. If they've looked better to you, it's because Martinez is getting the best of them by way of pushing them to express themselves on the pitch - another thing Mou has been accused of failing to do. Anyway, you didn't mention Hazard, so yes, Lukaku's goal total would be higher at Chelsea. He's suited for a countering team, anyway.

Well they're certainly not as talented as Willian and Oscar. If they've looked better to you, it's because Martinez is getting the best of them by way of pushing them to express themselves on the pitch - another thing Mou has been accused of failing to do. Anyway, you didn't mention Hazard, so yes, Lukaku's goal total would be higher at Chelsea. He's suited for a countering team, anyway.

I didn't mention Hazard because I believe he is better than any of the Everton midfielders. The thing is Hazard needs help, I'm tired of seeing him get double and triple teamed because Willian, Oscar and Torres aren't threats on goal. Willian looked so damn dangerous when he was at Shakhtar, and it feels like he forgot how to take dudes on. Oscar hasn't impressed at all, and as of today we are almost better without him on the field. Your probably right about Martinez making them look better, I love the way Everton play this season.

Yea it started, on twitter @BrazilStats is very informed and follows a bunch of footy accounts, might be able to find something if you go through the accounts he follows

This is from reddit but it doesn't have too many contributors, a lot of info tho

appreciate the help man...thanks.

In regards to Lukaku, Jose lost trust in him after the Euro Super Cup in which he didn't have a very good game and missed a penalty, he gave an interview after it in which he said he was very angry at Lukaku and he wasn't ready for that standard, Then he was loaned to Everton,

I don't think Chelsea will bring him back now

In regards to Lukaku, Jose lost trust in him after the Euro Super Cup in which he didn't have a very good game and missed a penalty, he gave an interview after it in which he said he was very angry at Lukaku and he wasn't ready for that standard, Then he was loaned to Everton,

I remember that.. Twitter went nuts that day lol

I remember that.. Twitter went nuts that day lol

:lol:

Another loan to Everton? You can argue that he isn't ready yet. But to sell him seems so silly to me. Yea, he has more to learn but he is doing better than any of the Chelsea strikers and will do better as he grows.

Speaking of CHICHA, just got here
nthat.gif

Nike Manchester United 2013-2014 Chicharito Away Jersey by chiva1908, on Flickr
Even if he's shipped over the summer?  
nerd.gif

In other news... 
nerd.gif

Pep Guardiola puts Manchester United on alert after issuing ultimatum to Bayern Munich board

The footy headlines this time of year (like any sport) are rife with speculative headlines. There's all kinds of headlines coming out of Germany calling for Pep's head & saying the likes of Goetze, Kroos, & Mueller are unhappy.

The Spanish media is saying that Courtois wants to come to Barca because his relationship is frosty with Jose. They're citing this vid showing Jose acknowledging Tiago but not Courtois.

Jose is always cool with the kids though...

View media item 950002

Gotta love this time of year...

So it looks like the guy that threw the banana at Alves is a Villareal youth coach named David Campayo, 26 years old.

A group of protesters assembled earlier this week protesting the way he's been treated... :smh:

View media item 950004View media item 950003

Back
Top Bottom