The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2012-2013 Vol. 3 Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga etc

Option 1 MLS Should just get rid of the cap and let super teams develop. If we cant beat them join'em. No reason why Glazer shouldnt be pouring money into an american soccer team.

Option 2 Have a relegation system so even small towns get into the big show. Can you imagine if the Rochesters and Alamogordos of the world had a team in division 1. People from these towns would support their local teams like die hard Green Bay Packer fans. Imagine a team from Reno getting a chance to beat the NY RedBulls or Chicago Fire. That is why people are passionate about soccer around the world...because it is local. Streets not cities seperate teams in other countries. Look at the Tijuana team. If you are from Tijuana you are going to be a die hard...atleast when you play America and Chivas.

Last edited:
Just going thru this thread I think it's pretty fair to say most folks here aren't MLS fans and thus also aren't US soccer fans.

Sad but kinda makes sense. It'd be like living somewhere in Europe and having to support the ACB or Greek league over the NBA. I think it's just a sign of the times. Americanism, patriotic pride, and overall fanism is at an all time low here in the states. It's hard to support something that isn't the best and this also rings true in America. But I know I support the MLS almost purely because it is an American product, it's accessible, and I want to see soccer thrive here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Friend talked me in to buying the MLS Live streaming package. Was only $50...I figure I'll watch enough games over 7 months to get value out of it.

I think American soccer would be far greater if there was a relegation system. The crappy lower teams would play better because they would have something to lose.

IMO, the only way Mls soccer will become a power by 2022 is to get rid of the cap. Like dude said above create super teams and a relegation system.

you guys that are mentioning getting rid of the cap..... I'm pretty sure that is the reason the NASL failed. Teams got payroll way too high and ended up just not being profitable.

In fact, one could say that the MLS has grown continuously, in part, because of the cap and its effect of sustainability. 

The MLS and the US MNT will never compare to Europe, and in my opinion it is because of US universities and MLS salaries. For most youth players in the US, a typical soccer resume will look like: AYSO, Youth Club Team, Olympic Development Team (ODP), traveling team, and then college team. Ask any kid if they dream of themselves playing for a specific MLS or even college team, and the large majority will say no. Even college players will hang up the boots when they graduate and focus on whatever it is they majored in. The MLS is not lucrative, and thinking rationally, chancing it on the MLS is a greater financial risk than seeking a real job, especially considering the cost of that education in itself. The soccer road kind of just dies down after college.

Now youth players in Europe, they dream about playing in the pros for barca or RM or Benfica, and these kids know from an early age that they want to be accepted into those teams youth academies. Furthermore these kids develop names for themselves and are recognized as being the next Zizou, next Figo. They understand that the professional teams are a genuine possibility for them, and because of that more committed players are there and the spectrum of talent is much higher.

US soccer is playing cultural catch-up when it comes to the sport of futbol.

The "lack of talent" IMO comes from youth development and the way sports are structured in the US.. i.e. in the UK (correct me if im wrong) you finish primary school at 16 and if youre an athlete thats when you decide if you want to train professionally or continue with your education. In the US when youre 16 youre just beginning high school..

I just went to Robert Pires wikipedia page and lo and behold
At the age of 15, Pirès left school and began his dream of a career in football with a two-year sports degree course in Reims. At the insistence of his mother, Pirès continued with Reims and eventually was called up four years later.[3]

Look up the majority, if not all, of today's superstars and youll see the same thing

Last edited:
you guys that are mentioning getting rid of the cap..... I'm pretty sure that is the reason the NASL failed. Teams got payroll way too high and ended up just not being profitable.

In fact, one could say that the MLS has grown continuously, in part, because of the cap and its effect of sustainability. 

Dude the NASL failed because the owners were dumb and there was no fan base yet. They were spending money on Pele when people werent even into soccer yet. Even the NFL was struggling in the early 70s. Having a cap was good but MLS is now ready to take its next step. They don't have to blow the roof off the cap but atleast let there be an opportunity to create a Yankees and Angels of soccer. Look at how fast Chelsea (people now dont remember Makalele, Kanu, and LeSaux) became a contender and Manchester City with the influx of money.

Btw I am an MLS fan
I was at the first LA Galaxy game in 1996.

My favorite 3 galaxy players:

Pescado Ruiz

Machon

Pando Ramirez

Last edited:
IMO, the only way Mls soccer will become a power by 2022 is to get rid of the cap. Like dude said above create super teams and a relegation system.

They can't do that it would destroy the league....MLS isn't going to hit Prem or Bundesliga/Serie A levels by then, MLS is dependent on sound financial structure, other leagues are more likely to adopt similar financial limits and constraints than MLS is to adopt their practices....a lot of those teams are in massive debt and are hugely financed by banks and the country's government (I think Real Madrid is like that in Spain). American sports leagues just work differently :lol: I don't think we'd ever be able to embrace pro/rel here for a looooooooooong time (like when MLS can get NBA or MLB type TV deals) to be able to support say a team from Harrisburg, PA without the real infrastructure or fan base to fill seats and support an elite level team.

When I see fans of teams like Stoke City in the Prem I think "yall know your team has virtually no realistic shot of winning anything at all in the league unless you have a magical yr out of the blue and can get 6th" :lol: but their goal is just to stay in the league...(then you'll be back to the bottom after that). At least in the NFL a bad team can become dominant (see the Patriots) I kinda like that aspect of MLS, and hope it remains

I think what is really likely to happen is that they increase the DP number, and raise the minimum wages for avg players to help drive more young kids to play in the league and want to stay here....MLS should be able to keep young American players (17-22ish) and then sell them off for good money to go to better leagues. I think the goal should to be able to retain a good majority of young American, hell even other Concacaf countries (other than Mexico) players will make the league thrive. Being the best in CONCACAF is a realistic goal by 2022 I think..Like the Eredivisie will never be a top 4 league this day and age but its great for developing young talent, MLS can work to become that type of place for North/Central America

Last edited:

Dude the NASL failed because the owners were dumb and there was no fan base yet. They were spending money on Pele when people werent even into soccer yet. Even the NFL was struggling in the early 70s. Having a cap was good but MLS is now ready to take its next step. They don't have to blow the roof off the cap but atleast let there be an opportunity to create a Yankees and Angels of soccer. Look at how fast Chelsea (people now dont remember Makalele, Kanu, and LeSaux) became a contender and Manchester City with the influx of money.
My bad dude.. I just don't think that influx of moneybag owners is there for the majority of teams. Plus there kinda already are the Yankees/Angels of the MLS in terms of spending and having DPs... just not in the major way you're putting it.

It's kinda funny because there are people who complain about the amount of money that gets pumped into these leagues and the massive wage bills, they say the US cap system is the way to go.
Of course if there was enough money in the system, then a salary cap wouldn't be much of an issue. In the MLS, the lowest yearly salary for a player is $35,000 unless the recently raised it. I believe I posted it before and I know there will be a new one released this season, how much players are making. Getting rid of the caps and adopting an Arsenal style system could work :D but like I said, if there is enough money, then a salary cap wouldn't be all that bad.

I like regulations system. But the MLS is young and built on parity. It doesn't have the fan base strong enough. A lot of it has to do with stability. People love an underdog story, being at the bottom of your division and being able to make it to the playoffs. The whole structure would have to change, that includes that draft. 2 divisions, would make about 40 clubs. A draft wouldn't work unless there was that many players.

Feddy Adu became a pro at 14. I know in most countries you can't be a pro until 16. But you can sign a contract at 14, join the youth academy in hopes of making it into the 1st team. But from 13-15, sometimes even ages up to 16 or so depending on the country, the only real similarity to high school, is education during the day and training during the night....well for a good portion of clubs. ON page 16 of the link, they start talking about education and training in youth academies. But as pointed out in college, like many other sports, students play mostly due to the fact that they are on scholarship. And in soccer the ones that have a chance to go pro as a career usually don't.

But overall, I'm optimistic of the youth development. Especially after seeing the U20 team play recently. There's potential. It will most likely become a feeder system, which does have it's benefits.

http://www.ecaeurope.com/Global/Research/ECA Report on Youth Academies.pdf

^This is a report worth reading

I love Ronaldo, but I think he should return to United. He's already a legend at Madrid, go back to ManU and continue on with that path of his legacy.

Plus him, Zaha, RVP, Kagawa, Rooney, etc would be disgusting

Ronaldo back at Old Trattford be great to see...

Wigan beating up on Everton 3-0 & not even halftime yet... Looks like Tim Howard is out for several weeks with broken bnes in his back...

Last edited:

Wigan beating up on Everton 3-0 & not even halftime yet... Looks like Tim Howard is out for several weeks with broken bnes in his back...

Damn, so he might miss the US qualifiers this month? Honestly Guzan is having a better year than Timmy....he'd fill in capably if thats the case, he's pretty much the ONLY reason Villa aren't in like dead last in the PL (well besides Benteke)

Damn, so he might miss the US qualifiers this month? Honestly Guzan is having a better year than Timmy....he'd fill in capably if thats the case, he's pretty much the ONLY reason Villa aren't in like dead last in the PL (well besides Benteke)

I was thinking this was a good time for Guzman to assert himself. I hate that Howard got hurt but it might be a blessing is disguise. I'm looking forward to seeing the US mens team later this month...

I think Zahan is unproven but not overrated. I don't think we'll see him for at least another year...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom