The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2012-2013 Vol. 3 Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga etc

Watching some of the female matches for the Olympics
USA looking sharp with 4-2 right now...
I thought I was going to see some sexy football with Brazil...now that I see them lining up for the anthems, all I can hope for is some good football now :\
Btw, I'm wondering, surely there has to be a female player far above the rest....
Who is the Ronaldo/Messi of womens football? Is there one?

Marta

Spurs looked terrible last night... Bale wearing 9 :nerd:

• Arsenal are closing in on the signing of Spain's Santi Cazorla, 27, after the Malaga midfielder agreed terms with the Gunners.
  • Joe Allen, 22, can leave Swansea for £15m thanks to a clause in his contract but only to a 'top five' club, which includes Liverpool.
  • Paris Saint-Germain are ready to outbid Real Madrid for Tottenham midfielder Luka Modric, 26.
  • Tottenham have accused Arsenal of making a fake bid for French goalkeeper Hugo Lloris, 25, who is a Spurs target.
  • Spurs have made an enquiry about long-term Chelsea target and Shakhtar Donetsk midfielder Willian, 23.
  • Lucas Moura, 19, is staying with Sao Paulo and will not move to Manchester United this summer, according to the Brazilian midfielder's agent.
  • And Sao Paulo president Juvenal Juvencio is determined to hold on to Lucas, according to reports in Brazil.
  • United could be considering one final swoop for Lucas or face watching the deal collapse.
  • AC Milan want to open talks with Manchester City over the possibility of signing Argentina striker Carlos Tevez, 28.
  • Manchester City defender Aleksandar Kolarov is close to a return to Serie A as Inter Milan look to finalise a £6.2m deal.
  • Newcastle have dismissed claims that Rubin Kazan are set to sign Demba Ba, 27, as the Russian side look to trigger striker's £7m exit clause.
  • Nigerian striker Odion Ighalo, 23, claims Swansea want to sign him from Italian club Udinese.
  • Aston Villa are set for a surprise £3.5m swoop for Ipswich left-back Aaron Cresswell, 22.

Good game last night vs. Spurs. It was good seeing Friedel again, last time I saw him I was able to meet him about 10 years ago. Too bad he didn't play though.

Last edited:
Wow, apparently, the women's North Korea vs Columbia match was delayed cuz they mistakenly displayed South Korea's flag and the North Korean players refused to play... 
mean.gif
  Can't make these types of errors.

They'll probably stick with 4-2-3-1 actually. Lampard is set to play holding mid with Ramires so we'd have Mata, Hazard and Meireles as our 3 front mids, which will make for a very fluid and creative offensive attack running at a frenetic pace. Having all 3 of Marin, Malouda and Oscar (not sure if he is currently signed or not but it seems imminent) on the bench is very key too as all of them are more than capable of stepping in and not missing a beat. Really like what Chelsea has done this summer. In a perfect offseason, we would've grabbed Hulk and another defender but I'm more than satisfied with what the front office has done.
Speaking of Hulk, those Porto fees are absolutely ridiculous. :lol:

You're right, but it is just a defensive variation of the 4-3-3, as is the 4-5-1, 4-1-4-1, etc. With so many players playing between the lines, it doesn't really matter what you call it because positional fluidity is essential in possession football. Oscar will regularly be dropping deep into central midfield, Mata/Hazard will regularly pushing forward alongside Torres, and width must come from the FBs. Hence me calling it a variation.

HB, I think Ramires in a free role would be a smart move. Not sure he has the discipline or short passing game to be a true holding mid, especially when Lampard/Meireles/McEachran are liable to push forward. As you said his pace makes him a huge threat on the counter, and of course he's incredible as a destroyer so having him in a free box-to box type role out wide may prove to be shrewd. BTW, love the Bob Sura dedication. :smokin

Last edited:
no mistake was made haha no one who gets paid to do a major game doesnt know how to google the proper flag 
laugh.gif

tired.gif

Bebe :pimp:

Who needs Lucas Moura when you have a talent like that already on the squad?

In all seriousness, he's been playing well (yes, I know these are friendlies.)

Wow, apparently, the women's North Korea vs Columbia match was delayed cuz they mistakenly displayed South Korea's flag

:smokin

hopefully none of their players got struck by lighting this time..

Last edited:
Bebe :pimp:
Who needs Lucas Moura when you have a talent like that already on the squad?
In all seriousness, he's been playing well (yes, I know these are friendlies.)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

WHAT?

Bebe has been shocking ever since he arrived at United. Bebe is no where near ready for first team EPL action.

Watch him closely (in fact watch the Ajax [Cape Town] match), and you'll see he loses the ball almost everytime he had it. In fact, sometimes he actually gave it away.

I couldn't believe what my eyes were seeing.

All Bebe has is pace.

@Soleman the Moura deal will conclude soon, and soon you'll be singing his name in praise.

Last edited:
Not saying that you're all that wrong, but RDM doesn't seem to be keen to play Ramires as one of the pivots, and I think the pairing of Lampard/Meireles/McEachran with Mikel/Essien/Romeu is going to be the more likely setup. Though I don't like it, personally RDM seems to like to play Ramires wide right, and while he doesn't necessarily possess the passing ability needed for the possesion based attack that we seemingly seem to be striving for, I think he sees him as a huge threat on the counter, and possibly a piece to assist in defense with the amount of attack minded players they will have in the side.
I honestly don't believe that Malouda will be in the team by the time that the season begins, and I think that KDB will perform the duties that Malouda has recently, with his ability to play on the flanks or centrally. I would still love to see a piece like Willian or Jovetic brought in and an RB like Azilpilicueta, and I think that the club would be in excellent shape.

I actually thought RDM wanted to play Ramires but I'm glad that's not the case because we'd certainly be wasting him if he's in the holding role. I agree with the pairings, seems ideal. Thankfully, Ramires is a versatile midfielder but you're right about his lack of strong passing ability.

As far as Malouda goes, I thought KDB and Marin's arrivals confirmed his departure but I'm hearing different news every day. One minute, he's staying; the next, he's leaving. However, they're planning on loaning KDB to Werder Bremen so I think if that's the case, Malouda would stay unless the Victor Moses transfer talk picks up some steam.

Back
Top Bottom