The UTAH JAZZ Support Group thread: Majorly updated.

Not that he has been awful, and I understand the value of having him on the floor, but I'm not sure how many more 30+ minute games for Jefferson I can mentally accept.

Gobert sent to the minors again.

His rebound rate: 24.4 (if he qualified, his would be 3.0% higher than Drummond, the league leader)
Block rate: 6.0 (would be fourth in the league)

Why would you give someone like that minutes? I don't see the value, either, Tyrone. And he really interrupts this winning culture that has been created. He will absolutely develop in glorified summer league, though.

2014 update

In (so far)

Trevor Booker (signed for two years, $10 million)
Dante Exum (drafted fifth overall)
Rodney Hood (drafted 23rd overall)
Steve Novak (acquired from the Raptors for Diante Garrett)

Quin Snyder

Out (so far)

Garrett (traded for Novak)
Richard Jefferson (signed with the Mavs for the veteran minimum)
Brandon Rush (signed with the Warriors for two years, $2.5 million)
Marvin Williams (signed with the Hornets for two years, $14 million)

Tyrone Corbin

Other

Gordon Hayward re-signed for four years, $63 million (matched the Bobcats' offer sheet)
Obtained their own Developmental League team in Idaho

Rumored targets

Kent Bazemore (signed with the Hawks for two years, $4 million)
Francisco Garcia (unsigned)
James Johnson (signed with the Raptors for two years, $5 million)

Future assets

Raul Neto (playing in Spain)
Ante Tomic (playing in Barcelona)
2015 first-round pick
2015 second-round pick
2015 second-round pick (from the Nets)
2016 first-round pick
2016 second-round pick
2016 second-round pick (from the Warriors)
2017 first-round pick
2017 first-round pick (from the Warriors)
2017 second-round pick
2017 second-round pick (from the Warriors)
2017 second-round pick (from the Knicks)
2018 first-round pick
2018 second-round pick
2018 second-round pick (from the Nuggets)

Discuss.

Last edited:
I think they can get to 35 wins this upcoming season. Exum gives them a playmaker and Hood (and Novak) can stretch defenses with his shooting.

Current roster

Derrick Favors
Enes Kanter
Gordon Hayward
Dante Exum
Trey Burke

Alec Burks
Trevor Booker
Rudy Gobert
Steve Novak
Rodney Hood
Jeremy Evans
John Lucas

Ian Clark (team option)
Malcolm Thomas (team option)
Erik Murphy (team option)

Last edited:
@WojYahooNBA Free agent forward Trevor Booker has reached a deal with the Utah Jazz, league source tells Yahoo.
@WojYahooNBA Trevor Booker's deal with Utah will be two years, $10 million, league source tells Yahoo.

Last edited:
I would say Evans, personally (kind of a tweener, but). Booker and Gobert are probably your third and fourth bigs, and Novak the niche. Unless Kanter doesn't start next to Favors (at which point, I have no idea what Snyder would do).

If Gobert rots on the bench again, I am going to lose my mind.

Edit: Booker gets them right around the salary floor. Still ~$7 million left to spend if they see fit.

Last edited:
Favors/Gobert
Kanter/Booker/Novak
Hayward/Hood/Evans
Exum/Burks
Burke/Lucas?

That is a ton of frontcourt players to allocate minutes to...

I really hope that Lucas isn't the backup point guard.

Last edited:
View media item 1080152
@NateDuncanNBA Wow, that was just beautiful basketball by the Jazz. Exum/Gobert pick and roll, Exum/Hood DHO, Gobert deep postup off initial P&R.
Super excited for this set (with many options - the tweet isn't describing the particular play in the picture), and the spacing of a motion offense, in general. Snyder is going to have three players in his starting lineup (presumably) that are excellent distributors. Utilize it. And like pmatic pmatic said, the additions of Exum's creating and the shooting abilities of Hood and Novak are huge. Dynamic-changers that allow all of this to happen.

All of these things are likely to take a lot of pressure off of Hayward, both mentally and in the scheme of opposing defenses. Everyone will benefit from that.

Last edited:
Are they trying to win this year and make a leap, or is there another tough year, with an eye on another top 5 pick? Any word/vibe/feel on that yet?

2015 first-round pick
2015 second-round pick
2015 second-round pick (from the Nets)
2016 first-round pick
2016 second-round pick
2016 second-round pick (from the Warriors)
2017 first-round pick
2017 first-round pick (from the Warriors)
2017 second-round pick
2017 second-round pick (from the Warriors)
2017 second-round pick (from the Knicks)
2018 first-round pick
2018 second-round pick
2018 second-round pick (from the Nuggets)

Mother **** :x

Last edited:
I don't see them doing any kind of conscious tanking. 50% of their active roster is already going to be lottery picks within the last four years.

The average age of Burke, Burks, Exum, Favors, Gobert, Hayward, Hood and Kanter = 21.6.

Just playing as well as they can... I don't expect top-five bad, nor playoff good.

I need David Locke to return from vacation. Without his daily podcasts, the work day goes by much slower. :lol:

I know it's still early, but who will be more expendable if Burke & Exum cannot co-exist?

Again, these are just my early predictions based off of SL.

I know it's still early, but who will be more expendable if Burke & Exum cannot co-exist?

Again, these are just my early predictions based off of SL.
The problem is Burks hasn't quite solidified himself as a surefire starting NBA SG. Playing the 1 certainly didn't work. Giving up on two of three recent top-12 back-court options seems hard to swallow. Assuming Utah can't work with Burks and Trey or Exum.

The Warriors deal last year was so heady. Take on a pair of awful contracts that no one else wants because you can (and had to to get to the salary floor), and get three picks out of it. And Brandon Rush could have even been a flippable asset at the deadline, but he never got comfortable playing on a surgically-repaired knee (or so he said).

Edit: They actually got five picks out of it. I forgot that it ended up being a three-team deal where they shipped Randy Foye to the Nuggets for two more.

Loving the activity in here. Hope it lasts a little longer this season. :lol:

Last edited:
I just need my dude Kanter to hurry up and have his breakout season and start flourishing.

Big minutes.
Do it, Snyder. :pimp:

If Kanter continues to show that he can't play next to Favors/defend, I wouldn't be all that surprised if he ended up getting traded. A little crazy to think about, but he has more value as a trade asset than a bench player with an extension looming.

Not often that a pretty polished, 6'11", 22-year-old with attainable 20 and 10 upside goes on the block, but.

Summer league accolades from Kevin Pelton:

Most tantalizing rookie (tie): Dante Exum, Andrew Wiggins

In terms of performance, neither Exum nor Wiggins can compare with some of this year's less heralded rookies. Both players have demonstrated their potential, however, with highlight plays such as Wiggins' impressive dunk against McRae and the 76ers.
Best veterans

3. Rudy Gobert | Utah Jazz

Without scoring many points, Gobert dominated the Jazz's second game against the Milwaukee Bucks, blocking five shots, grabbing nine rebounds and making all six of his shot attempts in 23 minutes of action. And that wasn't even the game where Gobert drew "Rudy!" chants from Jazz fans, who are excited about the potential he's showed.
Best shot-blocker: Rudy Gobert | Utah Jazz

There have been plenty of impressive shot-blockers on display in the NBA Summer League, including Moreland (six swats in 40 minutes). None has done more to put a lid on the opposing basket than Gobert, with seven impressive blocks over two games.
Most entertaining team: Utah Jazz

The combination of Exum's incredible burst in the open court, his playmaking ability and the mystery about his game has made the No. 5 pick a must-watch in Vegas. Add in Gobert's active presence in the paint, Rodney Hood's streak shooting and surprisingly athletic plays from free agent Motum and Utah has played to rave reviews just off the Strip.

Back
Top Bottom