The Weeknd Thread ( "The Dawn FM" OUT NOW)

Favorite Weeknd Project?

• House of Balloons

Votes: 38 42.2%
  • Thursday

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Echoes of Silence

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Kiss Land

Votes: 18 20.0%
  • Beauty Behind The Madness

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Starboy

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • My Dear Melancholy

Votes: 7 7.8%
  • After Hours

Votes: 7 7.8%

• Total voters
No one has any idea. Someone "found" it on Tumblr. It really sounds like Abel, but I have no idea how some random XO fan/designer would have access to do that + be able to put it up without gettin bodied.

Anybody know where I can download this? Need something better than 128kbps mp3 converter quality. 
nerd.gif

WANDERLUST just randomly played while I'm shopping. The look on my face before I caught myself stanning :smh: :lol:

WANDERLUST just randomly played while I'm shopping. The look on my face before I caught myself stanning :smh: :lol:
dude, this happened to me in Macy's a few weeks ago. I was too hype at 8:30 in the evening when all the associates were hating life because they were stuck there closing the store.

Producers should be Danny Boy, Da Heala and Doc. Only thing confirmed basically is no Illangelo who was a part of the entire trilogy and all of EOS + the bonus songs.

Don't understand him not working with Illangelo anymore, guy is a GENIUS from a sound design/mixing aspect.

Danny Boy Styles and Da Heala aren't even close IMO.

Last edited:
Jesus at not having Illangelo
mean.gif
mean.gif

Will Doc even be the same without Illangelo? It seems like they've always co-produced with the Weeknd

Which tracks has Da Heala got on besides Professional?

he needs to put aside his differences and get back in with illangelo and jeremy rose. their absence is hurting his aesthetic.

Last edited:
Wish it were that easy, life aint always that easy. Whatever happened between them must have been substantial.. we know with Rose for sure

Rose only had a hand in three songs on the very first project, I'd say his aesthetic is fine without him :lol:

I would love to have Illangelo back on the team though.

jeremy rose invented the weeknd brand with abel. my favorite songs of his aren't even produced by rose, but the weeknd's melancholy/sexy style was formed by their work together. what you need, the morning, loft music, the party (first half) were the foundation of the trilogy.
How did you first meet Abel?
My girlfriend was working at Poutini’s [a poutine spot in Toronto, obviously] and I used to hang out with a couple of these Australian guys that worked there. That’s where I met Abel, he was hanging out at their house. I was showing them some things in Ableton, because they were interested in that stuff and I was playing the beat for “What You Need.” I had that thing for a couple years and I didn’t know what to do with it. Anyway, Abel was there and he started free-styling on top of it.

So that was the impetus of the Weeknd?
Yeah, that’s when I asked him if he wanted to work on something—I had this idea for a dark R&B project. I think I talked to Curtis Santiago [aka Talwst, local Toronto R&B dude] about it, but he wasn’t really what I was looking for because he was on some other thing. Abel seemed to suit the project.

Right. When you two first met, was Abel’s creative direction heading in the same direction it has been over the past year?
No. When I met him I heard some of the stuff that he was doing. It was called the Noise. Remember that? It came out after he broke. It was this group, with him and another producer and it was called the Noise. They were a straight kind of R&B, just really light and kind of candlelight… [sings] “I wanna see you in your birthday suit”… And I was just like, “Aw, **** that ****. No man, let’s talk about, ******’ and getting too high and trying to **** ******* and it not working out. Let’s get really grimy about it."
he did a good job without him, thursday is a classic and i loved kiss land (conceptually) but i can see that early spark present circa rose/illangelo/doc slowly fading. we need that bounce. with his evolved songwriting, he could make a magnum opus if he reunited with those two.

Last edited:

jeremy rose invented the weeknd brand with abel. my favorite songs of his aren't even produced by rose, but the weeknd's melancholy/sexy style was formed by their work together. what you need, the morning, loft music, the party (first half) were the foundation of the trilogy.
How did you first meet Abel?
My girlfriend was working at Poutini’s [a poutine spot in Toronto, obviously] and I used to hang out with a couple of these Australian guys that worked there. That’s where I met Abel, he was hanging out at their house. I was showing them some things in Ableton, because they were interested in that stuff and I was playing the beat for “What You Need.” I had that thing for a couple years and I didn’t know what to do with it. Anyway, Abel was there and he started free-styling on top of it.

So that was the impetus of the Weeknd?
Yeah, that’s when I asked him if he wanted to work on something—I had this idea for a dark R&B project. I think I talked to Curtis Santiago [aka Talwst, local Toronto R&B dude] about it, but he wasn’t really what I was looking for because he was on some other thing. Abel seemed to suit the project.

Right. When you two first met, was Abel’s creative direction heading in the same direction it has been over the past year?
No. When I met him I heard some of the stuff that he was doing. It was called the Noise. Remember that? It came out after he broke. It was this group, with him and another producer and it was called the Noise. They were a straight kind of R&B, just really light and kind of candlelight… [sings] “I wanna see you in your birthday suit”… And I was just like, “Aw, **** that ****. No man, let’s talk about, ******’ and getting too high and trying to **** ******* and it not working out. Let’s get really grimy about it."
he did a good job without him, thursday is a classic and i loved kiss land (conceptually) but i can see that early spark present circa rose/illangelo/doc slowly fading. we need that bounce. with his evolved songwriting, he could make a magnum opus if he reunited with those two.

Meh, Rose worked on 1 full song an 2 half songs. Considering he himself admitted the songs were written before his involvement + his songs aren't even that dark, I think he unsurprisingly is taking too much credit for what he did. Weeknd/Doc/Illangelo clearly took whatever basic idea he had and took it to another level. Not worried about him. Looking forward to new Doc stuff with the Weeknd though.

I just hope Doc can create the magic without Illangelo though. Kiss Land was amazing but I'll be real and say I would like him to create something along the lines of the Trilogy mixtapes. Kiss Land was really a concept album... a departure of sorts from the Trilogy, which is completely fine and is also a classic project to me.

I wish Doc and Weeknd was release anything, a preview of something they've come up with.

after relistening to thursday, abel evolved way beyond his jeremy rose era on that. my son ascended to the fourth dimension right there. someone start an illangelo petition, man.

I know this is sacrilegious in here but I'm not into KL, at least not the way y'all hyped it up. Flame suit activated idgaf. It used to be hard to choose but Thursday is the clear winner to me now. I will agree that homie is on some other **** now. I need new material but I want it to be gritty/ raw like the trilogy was, KOTF & often
delivered so there's hope.

Back
Top Bottom