The Weeknd Thread ( "The Dawn FM" OUT NOW)

Favorite Weeknd Project?

• House of Balloons

Votes: 38 42.2%
  • Thursday

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Echoes of Silence

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Kiss Land

Votes: 18 20.0%
  • Beauty Behind The Madness

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Starboy

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • My Dear Melancholy

Votes: 7 7.8%
  • After Hours

Votes: 7 7.8%

• Total voters
Originally Posted by Hendrix Watermelon

Originally Posted by Heshua

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

Stupid statement. To say that the Weeknd is another version of the Dream is to miss out on the many nuances of his music that make it transcendent.
How long is the Dream thread on NT? 
grin.gif
Stupid logic.  Surely you don't equate how good or bad an artist is by the length of their thread on Niketalk.
It's perplexing how some members around here love to justify nonsense with that type of logic.

Prolly the same type of dudes that bring up album sales like it's supposed to make the album good or something.
eyes.gif
I don't know I thought it was pretty logical.

They're both dudes that make R&B type music. Based on their work, one blew up, one didn't. The NT thread reflects that. You can act like it doesn't matter how much people like music, but really, how else do you define good music? Unless you just think your opinion somehow matters more than others. And your album sales point is especially stupid. Album sales reflect efforts of record labels, who spend tons of money to promote albums. The Weeknd blew up without any of that. His fans were not persuaded to like his music by Rocsi on 106 & Park or a local DJ or a music video. Fans liked his music for what it was. 

It's perplexing how some members around here love to make simplistic comparisons of artists and/or athletes based on one characteristic, while totally ignoring all sorts of other factors. 

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

The Dream didn't blow up? Oh.
Hell no he didn't blow up. He had a few radio hits. He wrote some songs for people.
He has 35,000 Twitter followers.

More terrible logic, right? 

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

The Dream didn't blow up? Oh.
Hell no he didn't blow up. He had a few radio hits. He wrote some songs for people.
He has 35,000 Twitter followers.

More terrible logic, right? 
Yes, your clearly hve no idea of what you speak of. Dream has made millions, dream has overall influence pop music with his sound. The weekend already did that? LOL at you saying some ppl. Beyonce is some ppl? Ri Ri is some people? Madonna is some ppl?

Just stop plehboi

First off let me go on record as saying im a big weeknd fan so this isnt biased.

Lets check the dreams facts real quick:
4 Grammy nominations, 2 Wins (none solo but for song writing)
LoveHate: 522,000 sold
Love vs. Money: Debuted #2 on Billboard charts, Sold 151,000 albums first week
LoveKing: Debuted #4 on Billboard
Has Written:
Justin Bieber "Baby": #5 Billboard, 3x platinum
Rihanna "Umbrella": #1 Single, 3x platinum
J. Holiday "Bed": #5 Billboard
Beyonce "Single Ladies": #1 Single, 4x Platinum
Jesse Mcartney "Leavin" #10 billboard
Mariah Carey "Touch My Body" #1 Single, Platinum

So thats: 6 Billboard Top 10 Hits, 12x Platinum Singles

Come on son, those numbers dont lie. Twitter followers? Really were rating sucess off that?

But he hasn't blown up though? Neither has the Weeknd really outside of the net, im just now hearing his name become big in circles of casual music listeners. With that being said I have a good feeling that he will be huge with time.

Also with that being said, Dream shouldnt have taken shots at him but blatantly saying the Dream isnt nothing is blasphemy and has no merit whatsoever

Originally Posted by airjordan05

First off let me go on record as saying im a big weeknd fan so this isnt biased.

Has Written:

Come on son, those numbers dont lie. Twitter followers? Really were rating sucess off that?

But he hasn't blown up though? Neither has the Weeknd really outside of the net, im just now hearing his name become big in circles of casual music listeners. With that being said I have a good feeling that he will be huge with time.

Also with that being said, Dream shouldnt have taken shots at him but blatantly saying the Dream isnt nothing is blasphemy and has no merit whatsoever
I mean if I'm wrong, I'm wrong, and I appreciate that you put forth numbers instead of just emoticons.
To me, The-Dream hasn't blown up in the sense that most people in America haven't heard of him. But the numbers don't lie.

Still, anyone saying the Weeknd = the Dream or whatever is just musically immature. 

Originally Posted by srvballer

so is this dude going to announce some tour dates or what

I would assume you should be looking for performance dates this coming Spring/Summer
20hqzq0.png

Has Written:

I mean if I'm wrong, I'm wrong, and I appreciate that you put forth numbers instead of just emoticons.
To me, The-Dream hasn't blown up in the sense that most people in America haven't heard of him. But the numbers don't lie.

Still, anyone saying the Weeknd = the Dream or whatever is just musically immature. 
You sound musically immature. Your logic once again makes no sense. Dude is a song writer first, artist second. He has written some of the biggest hits in THE WORLD in the past 5 years. They may may not know his name, but they damn sure know the music that he has written.

The weekend is not as known as you think. Hes still more of a internet artist with a still underground fan base.

Stop comparing the two. Dream does his job well which is to song write. His own music is good as well. The weekend is on his way too being good, but to compare them is still unfair at least in quantitative terms.

Originally Posted by Lubu1

Has Written:

You sound musically immature. Your logic once again makes no sense. Dude is a song writer first, artist second. He has written some of the biggest hits in THE WORLD in the past 5 years. They may may not know his name, but they damn sure know the music that he has written.

The weekend is not as known as you think. Hes still more of a internet artist with a still underground fan base.

Stop comparing the two. Dream does his job well which is to song write. His own music is good as well. The weekend is on his way too being good, but to compare them is still unfair at least in quantitative terms.
lol, but wasn't this my point to begin with?
I f with The Dream. I have all of his work on my iTunes and have put tons of people onto his stuff. 

To me people saying Weeknd is Dream's "son" is just stupid. Other than the tenor of their voice, they really have very few similarities. It's a lazy comparison. 

Maybe I underestimated the Dream's popularity, but I think you guys are overselling it a bit. You can act like the fact that he has only 35K followers on Twitter means nothing, but find me another pop artist who has "blown up" and has less than 50K followers. And dude puts out videos and !#%%. It's not like he's on some underground steez and people haven't heard of him. 

Whatever though, my point was that it's a stupid comparison to make, and you seem to agree. 

I'm gonna be seeing this dude live for the 1st time on Friday. His first time coming to Montreal and I can only imagine how it's gonna be when he performs "Montreal"
pimp.gif

For those of you that live in NY,Boston,Toronto or anywhere else near Montreal, he's also gonna be coming back in August to perform at the Osheaga festival. Gonna be a lot of amazing acts coming too for some of you music heads. Here's the lineup.

Osheaga-2012-en-621x871.jpg

Originally Posted by RedMan

Side note: followers does equal to how popular you are.

Only to a certain extent. It is not the MAIN measuring stick for popularity. Especially in music. Clearly Dreams proves my statement to be true. How many followers Souja Boi got?

i like there music good music to chill to. i like to listen normally after games.

Dream ain't touching The Weeknd as far as singing goes. His song writing is great and he makes some dope music but son cant sing for %#%#.

Back
Top Bottom