The Wonder Years appreciation post

Is it really on Netflix? If they can have it on Netflix, why can't they release it on DVD/Blu?

Originally Posted by Je Ne Sais Quoi
Zack always had it
pimp.gif

i regretted getting netflix cause it barely had anything good...this is golden! thanks OP!

Originally Posted by TripleXL Vol 2

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

Is it really on Netflix? If they can have it on Netflix, why can't they release it on DVD/Blu?
Cost too much for all the musical royalties they would have to pay.

I knew that, but I was asking how come it can be on Netflix and not in disc form? Are royalty prices different?

Originally Posted by TripleXL Vol 2

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

Cost too much for all the musical royalties they would have to pay.

Did anyone else know this?
Bart Simpson's best friend Milhouse Van Houten is based on his character from "The Wonder Years", Paul Pfeiffer.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0767606/bio

Yea that already seem obvious to me back then lol

Appreciated 
pimp.gif

That final scene in the last show ever was
eek.gif
embarassed.gif

anybody know why they can use the original theme on the hub showings but not on netflix?

There are different "rights" for shows on broadcast TV and video/DVD/BR. Pretty much all shows when they get into syndication are the same, same music, scenes, etc. The studio owns those rights. Then if they attempt to sell the show in stores or to Netflix that is a whole different set of rights and they have to go back and get all parties to sign off and get their share. Married with Children has a similar problem....if you see it now on TBS or whatever it's the original intro....if you watch it on DVD (after season 1) it is a fake intro.

It would be awesome to purchase this in Blu Ray eventually. There is a demand and that usually means something will happen. Wonder Years is one of (if not THE) most requested show that has never hit DVD and the studio knows it. They also know that with this show they almost cannot substitute fake music....the episodes would not even be the same. So the rights fees for those songs are huge and we haven't seen anything yet. Hitting Netflix though (and Amazon prime later this year) I think is a good sign.

Some fun facts:
pimp.gif

- The show won the 1988 Emmy for best comedy series after only 6 initial episodes
- The city and state were never specifically mentioned.
- Kevin and Winnie broke up (and Winnie wasn't on many episodes) because she had such a growth spurt the directors couldn't use her next to Fred Savage.
- Winnie and Becky Slater were sisters in real life.

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

- The city and state were never specifically mentioned.
laugh.gif
i always assumed they were from either upstate NY or even Long Island

Kevin w/ the Jets jacket and I always seen people in the background wearing yankee gear
nerd.gif

I guess it's one of those "Simpsons" type things, huh? It can take place anywhere in America.

Can't believe Kevin didn't smash in the Double-Date episode. Winnie wanted it baaaaad! 
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

This will be an unpopular opinion, but Kevin was kind of a self-absorbed prick. I think about 20% of the show was comprised of the lip lick/ eyebrow raise combo.

Such a great show. So many memories. 
Who DOESN'T have a little Kevin Arnold guiding their step after watching?

Back when TV had morality >>>>>> 

Props to OP for bringing that quality thread heat 
pimp.gif

Brings back great childhood memories.  Awesome show but is it just me or was Kevin a terrible friend, boyfriend and son.  
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
  Dude was grimey.

Originally Posted by melofan15

Originally Posted by BossPlaya0625

Originally Posted by 6 rings MJ

I'm so glad that Netflix put it on instant stream. .
*signs up for netflix*
pimp.gif
 When I saw it was on streaming it convinced me to keep it and not cancel. I only have one season of lost left 
laugh.gif

I used to watch this show with my mom and grandma on the regular. Life lessons for sure. I wanted to marry Winnie Cooper when I was a young buck.

yea i just seen they added it on netflix and thats all ive been watching haha:. that first episode Kevin gets deebo'ed to put a big a** buck knife & dub sack in his locker haha:.

Didnt know it was streaming on Netflix till this thread. Looks like Ill be signed on wit Netflix for a lil while longer.. This show is the truth..always thought he'd end up wit Winnie for the long run

Back
Top Bottom