THEE OFFICIAL 2019-2020 NBA OFFSEASON THREAD: VICTORY LAP

Which team is most overrated? (Pick two)

• Clippers

• Celtics

• Seventy Sixers

• Bucks

• Rockets

• Nuggets

• Jazz

• Nets

• Warriors

• Pacers

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f...gif

How the hell does Zion have a better touch than Zo :lol:
Zo looked like **** around the rim last night. Straight dookie.

Good conversation on Tweet about the NBA/WNBA

Started off with

Posting a few replies.

I still don't completely understand the segregation argument being made here. While I think the NBA has done a great job of trying to promote the WNBA, I'll agree that the "You should watch the WNBA because NBA players do" stance is weird and kind of infantilizing.

Men's and women's basketball really are two different sports. I'll admit that the women's game is more fundamentally sound because they can't rely on raw athleticism the same way men do. The men's game is more about individual brilliance, explosiveness and playing above the rim (something that's just not a component of the women's game).

I worked sports in order to see people do things I can't do. I can hit layups and learn to shoot. I can't learn the explosiveness and leaping ability of top-level NBA players.

Also, the dirty little secret of the WNBA and why it will never be its own thing is because it is 100% subsidized by the NBA. The WNBA isn't its own league, it's effectively a charitable organization for the NBA.

Last edited:
The WNBA would be huge if women actually watched it
I think a big part of what you just said is that sports as a whole, but especially some more than others, aren't seen as feminine interests or pursuits so girls aren't encouraged to watch or play. Do they care about women's sports? Sure, on a superficial level, but they're not going to actually support them besides a cursory comment here and there because they've been taught not to care about sports at all. I'm sure we've all known one chick who was like "Sports are stupid" but always got something to say when the superbowl or olympics rolls around. Sports for many of them are a waste of time unless it's a community event which they don't want to feel left out of.

I remember we had a WNBA dialogue a month ago when sooperhooper sooperhooper asked if the WNBA would attract more viewers if they lowered rim to 9’.

I understand the fundamental issues that the WNBA and it’s supporters have with regard to respect and equality. However, as I said last month, I don’t find the WNBA product as entertaining as I once did (similar to HSBB and NCABB) so I don’t watch it. It has nothing to do with the fact they’re not woman for me because I’ve also reduced my consumption of male professional sports as well (MLB and NFL). In that same respect, I can also think of a lot people I know personally who watch CBB but can’t stand the NBA for gameplay reasons.

While I think promotion of the WNBA is a positive, I think what gets lost in viewership conversation is that a good amount of non-watchers flat out might not find it entertaining so they watch something else. I’m not really sure how you change that.

both teams got some positives out of the glorified scrimmage regardless of the w/l result

ad continues to play well
bron was his usual self and had great stretch to close
kuz strapped up on defense and dion played within the system

kawhi and pg played well
doc probably seen enough of morris sr and zubac :lol:
clips hung with the lakers without lou and trezl

nobody got hurt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom