This is one of the realest articles I've read in a while

interesting article nice dwight howard being freaked out by a reporter saying thats a good color on you lol smh its called a compliment

Originally Posted by hugebird

That picture of Amare with Anna Wintour is so cool.

Word. 
smokin.gif
smokin.gif
smokin.gif
smokin.gif
  She's not wearing her glasses either. 

so the style changed, he wants to wax philosophical about it fine, let's not pretend that *!%@'s deep. i just glanced at his article about mike vick and hair, god it's bad

Originally Posted by MeloManFan

Fashion always has, and always will continually change
Athletes for the most part are awful when it comes to fashion.  The NBA has kind of forced this change, it was a big deal when the dress code first was instituted.  Players could of easily worn ill-fitting suits, but players stepped up and the faces of the NBA have embraced it.  It's usually the scrubs that you see dressed like +*%+,
laugh.gif
.  Kudos to most NBA players, even though they have "stylist", they still wear these very fashion forward pieces.

I still think baseball players are the worst,
laugh.gif
.  Every Dominican/Latin player looks like they went ham spending their entire signing bonus on a Ed Hardy, Affliction, etc. wardrobe.  Just awful.

My boy sparked up a convo bout this the other day.
Had some really interesting points, arguments and all that.
Had me thinking like damn n_, you put some thought into this, ain't expect that from you.

.......Jacked the whole damn article.
30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif

The article just shows how far removed the athletes are from everyday working class people's lives. These guys have stylists, PR guys, ppl all around them that tell them how to talk, act and dress in public. And they don't have anyone to tell them "no." I mean who is gonna be the guy who says that Kevin Durant looks like an idiot wearing a button up and a backpack to a news conference? I would but I don't see him on a day to day basis. These guys are not in the same neighborhoods they grew up in. Just like you make fun of Michael Jordan's jeans, you can say the same for Carmelo's glasses or Dwayne Wade's bowties. These guys forgot where they came from plain and simple. That's why I've always respected a guy like Iverson because he wore stuff HE wanted to wear and didn't try to impress or get influenced by anybody.

These dudes trying to front like they're style icons and crap when the know they paying someone 50K a year just to dress em. Especially that phony Dwade.

Originally Posted by illwill24

The article just shows how far removed the athletes are from everyday working class people's lives. These guys have stylists, PR guys, ppl all around them that tell them how to talk, act and dress in public. And they don't have anyone to tell them "no." I mean who is gonna be the guy who says that Kevin Durant looks like an idiot wearing a button up and a backpack to a news conference? I would but I don't see him on a day to day basis. These guys are not in the same neighborhoods they grew up in. Just like you make fun of Michael Jordan's jeans, you can say the same for Carmelo's glasses or Dwayne Wade's bowties. These guys forgot where they came from plain and simple. That's why I've always respected a guy like Iverson because he wore stuff HE wanted to wear and didn't try to impress or get influenced by anybody.
Please tell me that you are joking. They dress like adults because they want to be taken seriously. It would be extremely hypocritical for LeBron to talk about building a brand and taking an active role in all of his business ventures, then dressing like a college sophomore. If the athletes are going to talk the talk, they should dress accordingly. I commend every athlete that takes the time to pick out patterns, colors, and fits (or that pays a stylist to "assist" them with wardrobe decisions 
laugh.gif
).
Also, I'm glad to see that Amare's finally learned the beauty of subtlety. Dude used to go overboard with the outfits a couple of years ago, but now he's killing it 
pimp.gif

Alot of it is contrived but Kanye really did change the game buddy... his rise/influence really is incredible and years from now he will be talked about as a legend (I don't jock but this is just undeniable)

Originally Posted by illwill24

Which of these looks translates to the working world: Lebron in Michael Bastian, or Iverson's baggy sweats? I'd say Iverson is the shining example of how far removed athletes are from the working world, not the guys with a personal stylist.

Depends... are you talking about the unemployed corner hustler or the 9-5 corporate warrior?

If I'm a local street runner I can't relate to the Robb Report life and if I work in an office I can't relate to going to work in a sweat suit...

Originally Posted by 0cks

Depends... are you talking about the unemployed corner hustler or the 9-5 corporate warrior?

If I'm a local street runner I can't relate to the Robb Report life and if I work in an office I can't relate to going to work in a sweat suit...
Stop it. Ask 100 people on the street what "everyday working class" implies, and 100 of those will say 9-5 corporate warrior. To even consider otherwise is just asinine.

But we are talking about the NBA... alot of NBA fans are from the streets and can relate more to AI's dress than LeBron's...

Also at the end of the day 99% of the population can't relate to Hublots, Oliver Peoples and Jean-Paul Gaultier anyways... working class or not
nerd.gif

Great read. I would definitely say Jay and Kanye are the biggest reasons for the shift. The Fresh Prince comparison was on point as well.

It's not just the NBA, though. Our everyday world is so globally connected and the lines of race and culture, hell even gender, especially in regards to fashion/music, are becoming more and more blurred. Think about how many white skaters you see rocking flat-brimmed New Era hats and how much the lines of different sub-cultures have blurred. Think of the stereotypical 80's or 90's high-school movie character list and how much harder it is to categorize people like that nowadays and put a label on them. It's a beautiful thing.
pimp.gif

Fashion right now is crazy. There are trends from literally every decade in the past century that are popular right now. It usually goes in cycles where things from a certain decade become retroactively popular, but literally every decade is represented in what's fashionable right now. 

p.s, is that a star of david tatted on Amare's hand?
nerd.gif

Back
Top Bottom