Tim Duncan Appreciation

Originally Posted by LDJ

Originally Posted by MoonMan818

Originally Posted by LDJ

yea malone was a product of the jordan experience. pretty much everyone in that era kinda gets slighted by the sheer dominance which were the bulls. I mean when you look at the tale of the tape outsidee of the rings, malone has had a better career. esp in the twlight years. i will say malone was a better one on one defender and a better rebounder considering size and the competition faced. shooting is, can kinda go either way and passing about the same.
Tim Duncan was a better defender.

He averaged more rebounds and blocks than malone.

3x Finals MVP.... 2x NBA MVP... 4x champion... I don't see how this is even debatable. The only edge I'd give Karl Malone is scoring.

but look at the era and time in which they did it... i mean from a stat standpoint bird avg more steals/rebounds then kobe.... i wouldnt say because of this bird/kobe as far as defenders.

and because being next to stockton his passing ability also gets slepted on. i think you can go back and forth 1a 1b with them but i cant clearly say td>the mailman as undisputed, clear cut better.
That's your opinion which is fine. But I totally disagree with you.

Malone was good and yes he was a good passer as well, but he never had an overwhelming defensive presence. Tim Duncan is one of the only players in the modern era that could dominate a game defensively, and Offensively he was just as unstoppable if not better than Malone.

I dunno what team you root for, but you sound low key bias right now. Tim Duncan was arguably the best big man of his generation, Malone can't say that.

And you can't forget about the championships either lol... that's pretty much the reason why people say Kobe > Lebron

Originally Posted by Peep Game

Hmmm, let's see, I was born in Seattle, raised in Houston, and both Tim Duncan and David Robinson are two of 
my all-time favorite players. Shut the ^@&# up and stay out my inbox. K thanks.
Guy gave me his life story. Son I just don't see how DUNCAN is one of your "all time favorite players" and not have him rank #1 of PF.

I can tell you never watch this great player play.

But hey whatever. Keep the SPURS in your sig and talk bad about the greatest player to ever put on a SPURS uni.
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by Beware The Underdog

Originally Posted by Peep Game

Hmmm, let's see, I was born in Seattle, raised in Houston, and both Tim Duncan and David Robinson are two of 
my all-time favorite players. Shut the ^@&# up and stay out my inbox. K thanks.
Guy gave me his life story. Son I just don't see how DUNCAN is one of your "all time favorite players" and not have him rank #1 of PF.
I can tell you never watch this great player play.
But hey whatever. Keep the SPURS in your sig and talk bad about the greatest player to ever put on a SPURS uni.
eyes.gif
If 2 sentences is a life story to you, I'd hate to see your english/lit grades.
I liked Karl Malone better than Duncan, it's simple as that. 

Where did I "talk bad" about Duncan? He's one of my all-time favorite players, and I liked Karl Malone better, meaning

Karl Malone is probably one of my favorite players too. Reading comprehension, and deductive reasoning

obviously aren't your friend.

Like I said whatever. Not gonna waste my time. You don't know basketball. I bet you think Kobe is better then Jordan. Cause kobe is one of your favorites right?
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by CP1708
I love how this dude put up both players regular season stats.

Any one wanna guess why CP didn't post playoff stats? You know the playoffs where the games really matter? Take a wild guess?

Cause DUNCAN played better when it matter.

GP        MPG     FG%     3P%     FT%   RPG   APG     SPG     BPG     PPG
DUNCAN

Career        176          39.5     .502         .167     .678     12.4     3.4     .7     2.6     22.7

Kal malone. (no R for RINGS)

Career     193     –     41.0     .463       .162     .736     10.7     3.2     1.3     .7     24.7

Like I said whatever. Not gonna waste my time. You don't know basketball. I bet you think Kobe is better then Jordan. Cause kobe is one of your favorites right?
eyes.gif
You've wasted both my time and yours already. Anyway, I hate Kobe with as much disgust as I hate the Cowboys. So there's your
answer. Why the &@^# are you even still replying to something as opinionated as that??? Duncan is an all-time fave of mine. So is

Karl Malone. I like Malone more than Duncan, sooooo....what exactly was your problem? U sound like a dumb troll, move on.

Originally Posted by LDJ

Tim Duncan was a better defender.

He averaged more rebounds and blocks than malone.

3x Finals MVP.... 2x NBA MVP... 4x champion... I don't see how this is even debatable. The only edge I'd give Karl Malone is scoring.

but look at the era and time in which they did it... i mean from a stat standpoint bird avg more steals/rebounds then kobe.... i wouldnt say because of this bird/kobe as far as defenders.

and because being next to stockton his passing ability also gets slepted on. i think you can go back and forth 1a 1b with them but i cant clearly say td>the mailman as undisputed, clear cut better.
That's your opinion which is fine. But I totally disagree with you.

Malone was good and yes he was a good passer as well, but he never had an overwhelming defensive presence. Tim Duncan is one of the only players in the modern era that could dominate a game defensively, and Offensively he was just as unstoppable if not better than Malone.

I dunno what team you root for, but you sound low key bias right now. Tim Duncan was arguably the best big man of his generation, Malone can't say that.

And you can't forget about the championships either lol... that's pretty much the reason why people say Kobe > Lebron

and mailman wasnt in his? i mean rings aside it was years id give the nod to kg, to webber, etc... same as probably could be said in mailmans era. Im not trying to say timmy is garbage by no means, but i just cant come out and say timmy>>>>>>>>>>>>mailman... I think its a pretty close race, but yea i will give it to timmy. And the lack of big men and the unquestionable height/size advantage kinda taints his dominance on the defensive end.

Its kinda how while dwight is good, the time and era which he plays, plays a huuuuuuuuge part in why is the best clear cut center in the league.

Originally Posted by LDJ

And the lack of big men and the unquestionable height/size advantage kinda taints his dominance on the defensive end.
Its kinda how while dwight is good, the time and era which he plays, plays a huuuuuuuuge part in why is the best clear cut center in the league.

Wow
KG, SHAQ, WEBBER, Gasol, Sheed, Dirk, and YAO are rolling over in their graves right now.
30t6p3b.gif

laugh.gif

Playoffs

Dunc at 32-33-34

20 and 8
19 and 10
13 and 10

Won 7 playoff games those 3 years. 

Karl at 32-33-34

26 and 10
26 and 11
26 and 11

He was blocked back to back years from a title, by Mike.  Won 36 games those 3 years.

Malone was a key player in the playoffs up til he was 38-39 before he trailed off.  And he started at the age of 22, Duncan at the age of 21. 

As I have said, Dunc died off soon as he hit 31-32, Malone was a major force til he his late 30's, and if not for MJ, might have some jewelry. 

Duncan's 4 came in a lockout year next to David Robinson, the 03 after LA exhausted themselves in back to back to back Finals, and 05 after Kobe and Shaq split, and then in 07 when someone else carried his title, as well as the weakest competition in the history of the NBA finals.  Oh and the 05 title, saved by??????  Robert Horry. 
wink.gif

Duncan is a great player.  Has 4 rings, nothing to argue there.  Half his career he played Center, and made the team list him as a PF, so he could claim to be that, but we aren't all stupid.  Karl was a PF for 19 seasons.  And was an elite/great PF for about 16-17 of those.  Duncan died off after 10-11 years, and 3-4 of those was as a Center. 

Like I said, nobody ever says anything because he won, and that is fine, but he didn't play the position he's called the best at half the time, and his 4 were the result of some rather fortunate timing, something that Malone did not have.  Karl was blocked by Magic for several years early, and then Mike late.  Duncan was blocked by Shaq/Kobe and Phil, til they seperated, and then he made up some ground.  Hell, at least Karl got his team to back to back finals, Duncan could never do that.  I catch hate for saying these things, but show me one single shred of anything that I have said incorrectly.  These are how the timing went for their careers.  If someone wishes for me to take a closer look at some things, by all means I will, but don't just laugh it off and say "he's the best, because he just is" and think that flies.  Naw. 

But hey, appreciated.  One of the all time best, I don't mean to make him sound like Luis Scola.  I just think his "legend" gets hyped up a bit without anyone checking the circumstances.  I could make a similar argument about Hakeem if I so desired. 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by University of Nike

John Stockton says hello to all of you.

Carry on.
Forgot "kal" played with a HOFer in his prime!

Who has DUNCAN played with? A old past his prime 5-0.

Please don't try and tell me MANU and PARKER are HOF players.
30t6p3b.gif

The JERRY S. is a far better coach the POP. So whats the excuse that "kal" couldn't win? JORDAN? "Kal" had his chance in 94 and 95.
 Thats not DUNCAN's fault "kal" can't put his team on his back

SO if the Lakers win this year it doesn't count? I got you. and IF they do the banner/ring better have a *

I always
laugh.gif
at that tired excuses. PLEASE such a cop out.

So 04 doesn't count then cause SHAQ and Robin had already decide they aint playing together in the finals. Only reason why the Pistons won.
Couldn't be because the pistons were a better team.

07 Duncan had carry that team to the NBA finals. He had already won 3 FINALS MVP. Something robin 24 will never do. So DUNCAN gets a pass. Just like SHAQ in 06.

Ok so if Big shot BOB doesn't make them big shots. SPURS lose game 5. But they play two more games at home. And we all know the SPURS played their best at home that year.
wink.gif

Yeah cause 0.4 seconds and one bad foul call on MANU isn't "fortunate timing".
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by CP1708

laugh.gif

Playoffs

Dunc at 32-33-34

20 and 8
19 and 10
13 and 10

Won 7 playoff games those 3 years. 

Karl at 32-33-34

26 and 10
26 and 11
26 and 11

He was blocked back to back years from a title, by Mike.  Won 36 games those 3 years.

Malone was a key player in the playoffs up til he was 38-39 before he trailed off.  And he started at the age of 22, Duncan at the age of 21. 

As I have said, Dunc died off soon as he hit 31-32, Malone was a major force til he his late 30's, and if not for MJ, might have some jewelry. 

Duncan's 4 came in a lockout year next to David Robinson, the 03 after LA exhausted themselves in back to back to back Finals, and 05 after Kobe and Shaq split, and then in 07 when someone else carried his title, as well as the weakest competition in the history of the NBA finals.  Oh and the 05 title, saved by??????  Robert Horry. 
wink.gif

Duncan is a great player.  Has 4 rings, nothing to argue there.  Half his career he played Center, and made the team list him as a PF, so he could claim to be that, but we aren't all stupid.  Karl was a PF for 19 seasons.  And was an elite/great PF for about 16-17 of those.  Duncan died off after 10-11 years, and 3-4 of those was as a Center. 

Like I said, nobody ever says anything because he won, and that is fine, but he didn't play the position he's called the best at half the time, and his 4 were the result of some rather fortunate timing, something that Malone did not have.  Karl was blocked by Magic for several years early, and then Mike late.  Duncan was blocked by Shaq/Kobe and Phil, til they seperated, and then he made up some ground.  Hell, at least Karl got his team to back to back finals, Duncan could never do that.  I catch hate for saying these things, but show me one single shred of anything that I have said incorrectly.  These are how the timing went for their careers.  If someone wishes for me to take a closer look at some things, by all means I will, but don't just laugh it off and say "he's the best, because he just is" and think that flies.  Naw. 

But hey, appreciated.  One of the all time best, I don't mean to make him sound like Luis Scola.  I just think his "legend" gets hyped up a bit without anyone checking the circumstances.  I could make a similar argument about Hakeem if I so desired. 
laugh.gif
Sounds like nothing but excuses for Karl Malone
laugh.gif

Lets talk about what really happened....

3x Finals MVP.... 2x NBA MVP... 4x champion

haters-gonna-hate-smug-kangaroo.jpg

Originally Posted by LDJ

And the lack of big men and the unquestionable height/size advantage kinda taints his dominance on the defensive end.

Wow
KG, SHAQ, WEBBER, Gasol, Sheed, Dirk, and YAO are rolling over in their graves right now.
30t6p3b.gif

in tims peak was gasol even playing or even as good as he is now, um shaq is a different position as well as yao. dirk wasnt the player he is now either. So was there times kg or web were better then tim, to me it was. even in head to heads sheed, kg, web have gotten the best of duncan.

In mailmans time really what power foward is even in the discussion? larry johnson, dennis rodman, shawn kemp, danning manning, kevin willis. I dont think anyone was trying to compare them to the likes of the mailman.

Oh @#$%, I almost forgot the Horry hip check when the Spurs were about to get knocked out by the Suns.  Little lucky there eh? 
laugh.gif

And yeah, Pistons won game 6 in San An. Pistons were the Champs, they knew how to win on the road, and did so the one game they would have needed.  Of course no telling how it plays out if it was 3-2 the other way.  As I said, lotta luck for Dunc, Karl didn't quite get that lucky. 

Karl did however play the position he was listed at for 19 years, something someone else did not. 
wink.gif

I approve of this thread. Hes definitely the best PF of all time. Oh wow this thread. Nothing left to say but
haters-brother-mario.gif

CP stay your hating @#% out this thread man, it says appreciation
laugh.gif

Spurs smacked Philly tonight as well, 16 & 11, but he's finished I guess.

Knowing your limitations as you age and adapting your game cause of it>>>Still thinking your the best player in the league and jacking up up 25+ shots a game instead of feeding the best offensive center in the league.

wink.gif

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Knowing your limitations as you age and adapting your game cause of it>>>Still thinking your the best player in the league and jacking up up 25+ shots a game instead of feeding the best offensive center in the league.

gifki_05.gif

Originally Posted by Futuristic

I forgot how terrible those Jazz teams were outside of Stockton and Malone
You left Jeff Hornacek out, but wow, just thinking back, those were some bad teams. I only remember Carr, Osterteg, and Russell
just cause their names kept coming up a lot 
laugh.gif

At least most of Duncan's success came during his peers peak also, Malone didn't start winning big until damn near every team in the West tailed (Houston, Seattle, Portland, Phoenix) off until Utah was the last team standing. Then the new crop came in. (Minnesota, Sacramento, LAL, Dallas, SA)

I mean as much static we give a guy like Kevin Garnett for his big game troubles, most forget Malone shrunk just as small when the stage got bigger.

Back
Top Bottom