Time to lower gas prices

The point is to show the oil companies what would happen if prices go higher, we will stop buying.
Not for them to lose money just to show them, that there are more of us than them

April 15th...gas is $4.00/gal
April 16th...gas is 4.10/ gal (obviosly gas will go up)

And im winning how?

Originally Posted by CJ863

If anything we need to drive more, lower demand = higher prices with gas if I'm not mistaken.

What?! Joking right?High demand = high prices..think about it!

This thing NEVER works.
Me and a few friends are actaully working on something that may work though. The main idea is for everyone not to boycott gas on one day, but instead pick one gas station company and boycott them until things changes. For the most part these compaines take huge pride in their quaterly earnings. So "theoretically" if people were to stop going to a certain station all together their profits would drop and would almost have no choice but to drops their prices below the competitors, unless they want to sell off the oil they have to other stations still taking a hit. Rinse and repeat, this would need to be done by a large section of the population to work though.

Originally Posted by RFX45

Originally Posted by SEND ONE

If ppl actually did this, they'd probably just raise prices on the 16th just to compensate.
Doesn't work like that and this whole strategy (no gas for 1 day?) will not or ever work. 
This "protestpost" is one of the stupidest things people has ever come up with. 
This 'post' is one of the smartest things you have ever come up with.

Originally Posted by firmePORvida

Originally Posted by CJ863

If anything we need to drive more, lower demand = higher prices with gas if I'm not mistaken.

What?! Joking right?High demand = high prices..think about it!

That's the logical way but from what I've read gas prices are up for a few factors, and a major one being that American's aren't 
driving as much as we used to. Less demand = higher prices 
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by TripleXL Vol 2

This thing NEVER works.
Me and a few friends are actaully working on something that may work though. The main idea is for everyone not to boycott gas on one day, but instead pick one gas station company and boycott them until things changes. For the most part these compaines take huge pride in their quaterly earnings. So "theoretically" if people were to stop going to a certain station all together their profits would drop and would almost have no choice but to drops their prices below the competitors, unless they want to sell off the oil they have to other stations still taking a hit. Rinse and repeat, this would need to be done by a large section of the population to work though.

You know why I don't see that working? If that station just lowers their price by .03-.05 cents a gallon in their area, then more people would go there and purchase the gas anyways. I think there are enough people who doesn't pay attention to the internet or just doesn't care enough about the boycott and as long as they save a few cents on a gallon of gas they'll go to that station. It definitely needs a nationwide cooperation, which again, I just don't see happening. I could be wrong though.

Why on payday when everyone fills up, I'ma be on E waiting til the 16th! lol

Don't they do this like every other month anyway in the summer for the past few years.... never works.

I'd like to add some perspective.

Out of necessity, I moved to a location where I would be able to ride my bicycle to work. It was an amazingly liberating feeling. I was not purchasing gas for months at a time. I was able to make a decision at each moment about whether or not I wanted to drive somewhere as opposed to biking. Biking was free, driving had a specific cost associated with it. Honestly, there were plenty of times that i opted to ride somewhere. (even to the grocery store, and that was a fun adventure. got really good at packing one weeks worth of groceries into a backpack... helped me to go to a grocery store more often, and improved my diet by purchasing more weekly fresh foods like fruits and vegetables... i digress)

I realize not everybody can move so close to their work where bicycling would be an option... or walking, or public transpo... but I would like to tell you that i found a way to make it work for myself. and i feel like i definitely learned a lot about myself, and saw that my world does NOT have to be centered around my 69 caddie... 

Still cruise with the top down on the weekends sometimes. Feel like I'm saving so much on gas at other points that recreational driving is still acceptable.

I hope the gas prices soar through the roof so Americans finally understand what other countries deal with everyday. Gas guzzling peons.

i live in houston and i'm terrified of riding a bike on the street

people are super terrble at driving here

wish i could ride a bike to work

Originally Posted by TheGr8BlkHope

the only people who really get hurt in this thing are the franchise owners of the gas stations. they barely make anything on the gas they sell, they make their money on the candy, soda, (super expensive condoms that you are only buying because you have a jumpoff thats DTF). oil companies get their cash off top.
You forgot cigs/cigars and alcohol 

Originally Posted by TheGr8BlkHope

the only people who really get hurt in this thing are the franchise owners of the gas stations. they barely make anything on the gas they sell, they make their money on the candy, soda, (super expensive condoms that you are only buying because you have a jumpoff thats DTF). oil companies get their cash off top.

We are slaves to gas companies because we all need to drive at one point or another, until there are other options or these companies are made to compete with each other what's the point. Right now it's all a big collusion they know if they all keep raising equally the whole crew gets paid.

Originally Posted by heirjordan15

I hope the gas prices soar through the roof so Americans finally understand what other countries deal with everyday. Gas guzzling peons.
The reason European prices are so high is because their governments impose a hefty tax on them to discourage them from driving because of a lack of space. Prices are set on an international scale, so unless you're a country with a large supply of oil that can keep some for itself, gas prices should be relatively similar from country-to-country.

Originally Posted by crcballer55

Originally Posted by heirjordan15

The reason European prices are so high is because their governments impose a hefty tax on them to discourage them from driving because of a lack of space. Prices are set on an international scale, so unless you're a country with a large supply of oil that can keep some for itself, gas prices should be relatively similar from country-to-country.
I swear a lot of people don't understand that when it comes to land the entire continent of Europe and the U.S. are about the same size, yet EU has three times the population density. When the typical American commutes twenty miles one way to work every day, you're going to depend on automobiles.

i always gas up in nj given the opportunity ... i stick to $12K miles a year ...

glad a live in a city w/ good public transportation ... i would go mad living in cali

Originally Posted by villansfinest

I'd like to add some perspective.

Out of necessity, I moved to a location where I would be able to ride my bicycle to work. It was an amazingly liberating feeling. I was not purchasing gas for months at a time. I was able to make a decision at each moment about whether or not I wanted to drive somewhere as opposed to biking. Biking was free, driving had a specific cost associated with it. Honestly, there were plenty of times that i opted to ride somewhere. (even to the grocery store, and that was a fun adventure. got really good at packing one weeks worth of groceries into a backpack... helped me to go to a grocery store more often, and improved my diet by purchasing more weekly fresh foods like fruits and vegetables... i digress)

I realize not everybody can move so close to their work where bicycling would be an option... or walking, or public transpo... but I would like to tell you that i found a way to make it work for myself. and i feel like i definitely learned a lot about myself, and saw that my world does NOT have to be centered around my 69 caddie... 

Still cruise with the top down on the weekends sometimes. Feel like I'm saving so much on gas at other points that recreational driving is still acceptable.
I do the same but I just walk everywhere. I take public transportation to and from work (about 35 miles) and it costs me $30 a week. I live in a DC-bedroom community so there are commuter buses to the city M-F. A tank of gas lasts me a month. I still drive sometimes (weekends if I want to go somewhere) but do all my errands near my office.

Grocery store is like a little over a mile and if I need something I just walk. I don't buy more than I can carry and my bus lets me off right there so its on my way.

Back
Top Bottom