To sell or to keep...Collecting since 1991

Let me start out by saying I love this forum. Even though the last pair I bought were the black XX3's I still love to keep up with whats going on in Jordan Brand. My first pair were the black/infared VI's back in 1991. Every year since I never missed buying at least one pair. As I got older and my income level increased so did the number of pairs I would buy. At my peak I had about 165 Air Jordans ranging from I to XX3 including some trunners and team J's. I am now 30 years old and about to get married in two months. I recently sold off quite a bit of shoes to pay for part of my wedding. It almost feels weird to have a stack of shoes that I once dropped thousands of dollars on to now slowly sell them away to new homes where they can be admired by people that have the same appreciation that I once had. I have been able to stay at about 90 something pairs still and have managed to keep my grails (bred XI, dmp, black/infared VI, black laser IV, etc...). My dilemma now is to keep what I have or continue selling off my collection towards life's expenses. Don't get me wrong, every single pair holds its own story and nostalgic value but, when is it time to grow up? I still see a retro release that I get all excited for but back away from it in the last minute. On the weekends I used to like to throw on a pair that looked like it came out yesterday and have other people ask me "did those just come out?'. That doesn't really happen anymore.
I know I'm not "in the game" like I used to be but I have noticed that the value of having a pair of Air Jordans has slightly diminished. I don't know if it's the over saturation of toot many releases or the prevalence of fakes but, it just isn't the same as it used to be. I see the younger generation settling for these Frankenstein mashups of older models or combining beautiful Jordans with other nike shoes (Air Force One's yuk!). I think all this has taken away from what was once such a prestigious brand. To make an already too long of a story short, I love the shoes but do I keep what I still have or make a clean break from the past?

Let me start out by saying I love this forum. Even though the last pair I bought were the black XX3's I still love to keep up with whats going on in Jordan Brand. My first pair were the black/infared VI's back in 1991. Every year since I never missed buying at least one pair. As I got older and my income level increased so did the number of pairs I would buy. At my peak I had about 165 Air Jordans ranging from I to XX3 including some trunners and team J's. I am now 30 years old and about to get married in two months. I recently sold off quite a bit of shoes to pay for part of my wedding. It almost feels weird to have a stack of shoes that I once dropped thousands of dollars on to now slowly sell them away to new homes where they can be admired by people that have the same appreciation that I once had. I have been able to stay at about 90 something pairs still and have managed to keep my grails (bred XI, dmp, black/infared VI, black laser IV, etc...). My dilemma now is to keep what I have or continue selling off my collection towards life's expenses. Don't get me wrong, every single pair holds its own story and nostalgic value but, when is it time to grow up? I still see a retro release that I get all excited for but back away from it in the last minute. On the weekends I used to like to throw on a pair that looked like it came out yesterday and have other people ask me "did those just come out?'. That doesn't really happen anymore.
I know I'm not "in the game" like I used to be but I have noticed that the value of having a pair of Air Jordans has slightly diminished. I don't know if it's the over saturation of toot many releases or the prevalence of fakes but, it just isn't the same as it used to be. I see the younger generation settling for these Frankenstein mashups of older models or combining beautiful Jordans with other nike shoes (Air Force One's yuk!). I think all this has taken away from what was once such a prestigious brand. To make an already too long of a story short, I love the shoes but do I keep what I still have or make a clean break from the past?

Keep what you have-believe me. In 5-10 years you'll be kicking yourself for selling off a part of your childhood and a part of your identity as a shoehead. Especially if the new wifey has no problem with you keeping your shoes. (and don't let your woman know the value of your j's bc she'll see those dollar signs and nothing else.)

I'm 27 and in that age group slowing down on j's because "I'm getting too old for this." but I know if I sold any of my favorites in my collection, I'd end up easily paying double or triple what I sold em for, 10 years down the line. Kids aren't as knowledgable on js and I don't get people asking about/complimenting my fresh j's with as much frequency-but everytime I look down I and i'm wearing a classic, i think to myself,"my shoes are too fresh."

Look at the demand for generation x children's toys-the baby boomers will spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars, to retrieve a piece of their childhood-in 10 years if/when you un-ds a Grail, I'm sure you'll still feel that warm fuzzy feeling that had you twisted as a kid.

Keep what you have-believe me. In 5-10 years you'll be kicking yourself for selling off a part of your childhood and a part of your identity as a shoehead. Especially if the new wifey has no problem with you keeping your shoes. (and don't let your woman know the value of your j's bc she'll see those dollar signs and nothing else.)

I'm 27 and in that age group slowing down on j's because "I'm getting too old for this." but I know if I sold any of my favorites in my collection, I'd end up easily paying double or triple what I sold em for, 10 years down the line. Kids aren't as knowledgable on js and I don't get people asking about/complimenting my fresh j's with as much frequency-but everytime I look down I and i'm wearing a classic, i think to myself,"my shoes are too fresh."

Look at the demand for generation x children's toys-the baby boomers will spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars, to retrieve a piece of their childhood-in 10 years if/when you un-ds a Grail, I'm sure you'll still feel that warm fuzzy feeling that had you twisted as a kid.

I'm 36, married, with a 2-1/2 yr-old son, and have all the responsibilities "grown-ups" have (job, bills, mortgage, etc). Having said that, I've been collecting Jordans seriously since 1994. I've cut down A LOT of my Jordan/sneaker purchases, but I still get pairs that I like and would/will wear. While there is no argument that the quality and prestige of JB has fallen off, I still enjoy wearing my Jordans, even if it's just to wear to the grocery store with my family. My competitive basketball-playing days are numbered (due to injuries unfortunately), but I still like to wear Jordans casually. I've never really cared what people think of my sneakers. I just enjoy them. My 2 cents: just keep the ones you really like, whether to wear or for nostalgic reasons, and sell the rest. I have at least 1 pair of each numbered model, from 1 to 2011, but no doubles of any of them. Whatever decision you make, make sure you are at peace with it, and yourself.

PEACE.
Niketalk Member since 12/24/1999.

I'm 36, married, with a 2-1/2 yr-old son, and have all the responsibilities "grown-ups" have (job, bills, mortgage, etc). Having said that, I've been collecting Jordans seriously since 1994. I've cut down A LOT of my Jordan/sneaker purchases, but I still get pairs that I like and would/will wear. While there is no argument that the quality and prestige of JB has fallen off, I still enjoy wearing my Jordans, even if it's just to wear to the grocery store with my family. My competitive basketball-playing days are numbered (due to injuries unfortunately), but I still like to wear Jordans casually. I've never really cared what people think of my sneakers. I just enjoy them. My 2 cents: just keep the ones you really like, whether to wear or for nostalgic reasons, and sell the rest. I have at least 1 pair of each numbered model, from 1 to 2011, but no doubles of any of them. Whatever decision you make, make sure you are at peace with it, and yourself.

PEACE.

Originally Posted by Rebble

PEACE.

I'm in the same boat, minus the child. For the past few years, my only purchases have been to replace the ones that have gotten too beat to wear.

Originally Posted by Rebble

PEACE.

I'm in the same boat, minus the child. For the past few years, my only purchases have been to replace the ones that have gotten too beat to wear.

I say keep what you have and enjoy them.

I only wear my Jays on my days off and I look forward wearing my favorites

everytime I have time off. If you prefer the $$$ go ahead, but its only$

$$$$ and if your anything like myself money comes easily and rather frequently!!

I say keep what you have and enjoy them.

I only wear my Jays on my days off and I look forward wearing my favorites

everytime I have time off. If you prefer the $$$ go ahead, but its only$

$$$$ and if your anything like myself money comes easily and rather frequently!!

Originally Posted by FrenchBlue23

I'm down to the point where I'm only interested in OG colorways 1 through 13. Nothing else.
I remember when I first joined that everyone ONLY liked 1-XIVs....I agree with you man.....but XIVs are also nice imo.

I'm down to the point where I'm only interested in OG colorways 1 through 13. Nothing else.
I remember when I first joined that everyone ONLY liked 1-XIVs....I agree with you man.....but XIVs are also nice imo.

Originally Posted by elcerrito91

Yeah they are.  Black/Red XIV's are my favorites, so I guess I can say 1 through 14. 
smile.gif

Originally Posted by elcerrito91

Yeah they are.  Black/Red XIV's are my favorites, so I guess I can say 1 through 14. 
smile.gif

Kinda off topic, but everytime I see a thread by an "older" NT member, it makes me a happier Niketalker. I just get excited to hear from someone that is 1) in a similar point in their non-sneakerhead life than I am and 2) is NOT *****ing and complaining the whole time.

Not saying irrelevent, stupid %*** like "robocopped" or "aww man, when are they gonna put the Nike Air back on teh Jordans" or my personal favorite, when people say that "x" sneaker is releasing, in "x" colorway but with no pictures, in like 16 months and people are like "Oh Man, those are gonna be SICK"

OP, thanks for making a relevent, meaningful post...even if it's just meaningful and relevent to a few...I, for one, appreciate it

Back
Top Bottom