"Too Asian?" LOL @ Canada

the toronto star newspaper had a similar article smh
on another note, I'm asian and i go to the University of Toronto
roll.gif
x
pimp.gif

as far as demographics go, it's pretty asian. engineering, life science, math/stats/compsci and commerce are all dominated heavily by asians.

i remember there was one time i was writing a stats final in a large hall where there were 2 other finals being written, religion and poli sci (i think). i didnt even have to ask

where I was supposed to sit, I see a flood of white people, another flood of white people, and then asians with a serious face and pens ready to write the exam
roll.gif

Originally Posted by ATLien Seeko

HigherGround wrote:
My school have too many Asians as well. There chill spot is the library. Lol. Their faces appear right next to the word "work ethic." I
am glad to have them around.

So how do you gauge when you have "too many" of one ethnic group? What's the benchmark?

Simple.

In theory, a large university's demographics should mirror the greater U.S. population. Obviously, this is not the case in the real world. When I use the term mirror, I don't even mean identical percentages......3/4ths of that percentage would suffice.

That's why top universities push so hard to increase Black and Hispanic admissions.....the numbers aren't even close at top universities.

Originally Posted by ATLien Seeko

HigherGround wrote:
My school have too many Asians as well. There chill spot is the library. Lol. Their faces appear right next to the word "work ethic." I
am glad to have them around.

So how do you gauge when you have "too many" of one ethnic group? What's the benchmark?

Simple.

In theory, a large university's demographics should mirror the greater U.S. population. Obviously, this is not the case in the real world. When I use the term mirror, I don't even mean identical percentages......3/4ths of that percentage would suffice.

That's why top universities push so hard to increase Black and Hispanic admissions.....the numbers aren't even close at top universities.

I dunno I go to UBC (University of British Columbia Vancouver) and I have classes where I'm one of two non-asians. Also sometimes on the bus I'm the only white person. I don't really see what difference it makes. It's race, who gives an eff nowadays. Whoever works the hardest should get the opportunities. I don't give an eff if they're black, white, asian, brown, whatever. And it can't be a language barrier/customs thing either because about 60% of the asian people I know have had ancestors settled in Canada longer than I have. 4th, 5th generation even.

I dunno I go to UBC (University of British Columbia Vancouver) and I have classes where I'm one of two non-asians. Also sometimes on the bus I'm the only white person. I don't really see what difference it makes. It's race, who gives an eff nowadays. Whoever works the hardest should get the opportunities. I don't give an eff if they're black, white, asian, brown, whatever. And it can't be a language barrier/customs thing either because about 60% of the asian people I know have had ancestors settled in Canada longer than I have. 4th, 5th generation even.

Originally Posted by Galvelocity

Yup.
Before going to my UC. I got accepted into the CSUs, UCs, and some out of state schools (UBC being one of them). Sadly enough, I hate that term... "Too Asian." That's just blatantly racist. I didn't even need to read the article to understand the purpose of them expressing people's detest from going to certain schools because it's Asian-dominated. I could say the same stuff about schools in the midwest U.S, (Too Caucasian). Or HBCUs, in the east and south (Too African).

On some ignorant status. If legislation is going to let the consequences of the rippling effect that "affirmative action" reinforced in some of these colleges. Then they need to turn in their administration duties as college legislators. Tuition and board is at all time high at UCs/Privates and people are forced into this "college cash cow machine" for sake of surviving and retaining a decent career position in the real world. And yet majority of the ones, who feed economical value are... obviously minorities... more particularly, Asians (like myself).

Ungrateful greedy bastards.

Originally Posted by Galvelocity

Yup.
Before going to my UC. I got accepted into the CSUs, UCs, and some out of state schools (UBC being one of them). Sadly enough, I hate that term... "Too Asian." That's just blatantly racist. I didn't even need to read the article to understand the purpose of them expressing people's detest from going to certain schools because it's Asian-dominated. I could say the same stuff about schools in the midwest U.S, (Too Caucasian). Or HBCUs, in the east and south (Too African).

On some ignorant status. If legislation is going to let the consequences of the rippling effect that "affirmative action" reinforced in some of these colleges. Then they need to turn in their administration duties as college legislators. Tuition and board is at all time high at UCs/Privates and people are forced into this "college cash cow machine" for sake of surviving and retaining a decent career position in the real world. And yet majority of the ones, who feed economical value are... obviously minorities... more particularly, Asians (like myself).

Ungrateful greedy bastards.

^ yup.

this article is nothing new. People are always going to find excuses as to why they "can't" get into certain schools.
bottom line, you didn't work hard enough.

^ yup.

this article is nothing new. People are always going to find excuses as to why they "can't" get into certain schools.
bottom line, you didn't work hard enough.

Yea I'm Asian and I go to school.. so what is the point that this dumb $+!*@ is trying to get across? It doesn't matter what race you are. We all have the ability to utilize the education we receive from universities. Saying another ethnicity will affect your performance is straight downgrading yourself... and too little time to party? #$##..
laugh.gif
, never have I heard of anyone complain about that in my university.

Yea I'm Asian and I go to school.. so what is the point that this dumb $+!*@ is trying to get across? It doesn't matter what race you are. We all have the ability to utilize the education we receive from universities. Saying another ethnicity will affect your performance is straight downgrading yourself... and too little time to party? #$##..
laugh.gif
, never have I heard of anyone complain about that in my university.

Back
Top Bottom